MedicarePprocrastination has got to end!! It's time to choose
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: MedicarePprocrastination has got to end!! It's time to choose

Member #
    Liked
    19992 times

MedicarePprocrastination has got to end!! It's time to choose

Procrastination be dammed, it's time to choose real soon. I am 3 months out from my birthday, which means that I just entered into the 6 month window. I even received a letter from my current health insurance provider informing me that on my birthday I need to have signed up for Medicare because my current coverage will greatly diminish.

I get the basic Alphabet Plans of Medicare, but I also know that there are many other directions that one can choose to explore that may offer more benefits such as eye, dental, hair implants, zero deductible, free rides to DR. appointments, food, and maybe even an emotional support flea. Ok, maybe some of these benefits are a stretch, but from watching the TV commercials they don't seem to be stretched too far out of line.

But, I am also finding out that a number of the supplemental offering may only cover you in the state in which you reside. Some of course are PPO and in house only medical providers.

I still hope to see the days of putting the motorhome on the road and doing some travel, including out of state, so making sure that I have coverage across the nation is of pretty great importance. I guess I could stay in Texas and still manage to rack up a million miles on the RV, but I want to take the grandkids to places that they may not otherwise get to see.

How do you choose, is it a matter of picking the best of what is offered and come as close to what you want and then settle? Is there somewhere that you can go to see what everyone has to offer without listening to every sale pitch that is out there offering promises that sound too good to be true, and you know that their agenda is not providing you with the best coverage you could receive, but more of meeting their enrollment numbers.

On the positive side, I do look forward to saving some money on my health insurance cost. Currently we pay around $1,325 a month for the both of us.

Come on lay it on me and tell me where to go find what my true choices are.
    darbo likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33322 times
    Hair implants? Tell me more.
    jonrjen likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    2825 times
    If you go cheap, that's exactly what you get. I have BCBS of Kansas and I'm not switching. Going on 5 years with them and never had a problem with payments. I think it's around $135 a month
    jonrjen likes this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20531 times
    Unfortunately I don't know of a one stop shopping where you can view the offerings of many different providers. That would make it to easy.
    jonrjen likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    Try the SHIIP service. They are located in each state and are a non profit group designed to do exactly what you are looking for.
    They are very helpful and you can compare all plans available where you live.
    For my wife and I we picked a BC/BS plan F and have been on it for over 10 years.
    We picked it for the same reasons you are looking for, coverage when traveling without worrying who will accept the plan.
    BC/BS plans are honored everywhere, where some other plans may not be.
    Aberdog1 and jonrjen like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23376 times
    I began my Medicare enrollment 5 years ago when I was approved for SSDI. I'm 60 and will continue to get full SSDI and private non taxable disability benefits till I turn 65 when SSDI turns into Medicare and my private benefits payments drop to half their current amount. I immediately bought a medi-gap plan which covers all the ancillary services you mention. So, I'm cramming every penny I don't spend each month into my IRAs (I have two) and other stand alone investments.

I didn't put off getting the medi-gap either because Medicare alone just doesn't cover very much. My Medicare premiums come out of my SSDI benefits monthly but are tax deductible. The medi-gap has no such protections but it does not break the bank either. PM me if you want to discuss which medi-gap I bought.
    jonrjen likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    19992 times
    After researching, studying and looking to balance what I feel is the better route to choose, I do believe I have made my choice. It is far from the least expensive choices out there, but you do have to also do a little soul searching as to how you plan to live your life.

Since we plan to RV around the country and never know when an illness may pop up and surprise my system I will be going with standard A and B, then add a G with a RX plan.

There are a number of alternative plans offered that promise the world at much less money a month, but they are sold with coverage by region. By region I mean that they may cover the county of your residence as well as the surrounding 6 counties and your free to use any doctors in their system that are accepting new patients. These plans would also cover ER visits outside of your region, but the term "Emergency" was cloudy at to coverage. And Referrals required.

FWIW, once you choose what plan and supplements that best fits your need, it's time to shop price and perks. Such as Supplement "G" will all include the required Medicare features across the board from all insurance providers, the price will vary by insurance carrier. But, you need to look for any added perks that one carrier may offer that another does not. Maybe it is a 24/7 Nurse Hotline, Free Gym Memberships, Well Being Support, Eye Care, Dental and more.

Now I just need to get the paperwork filled out and processed, then contact my current insurance provider and cancel my current policy.

Feels a lot like buying an extended warranty for a car, you really got to read the details as to what is or is not covered. Only it is for your body and health maintenance, and a lot more expensive than labor and parts for a car of truck.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    23376 times
    I did choose my medi-gap because it covers dental, vision, pharmacy, home health, and pretty much all the common peripherals and accessories. And when I made my move, the state insurance "virtual shopping malls" handled the transaction. With the fall of the Obama empire of obamacare all those insurance shopping brokers have moved on. My wife had to renew her insurance a few years back - just after the insurance shopping brokers had fled the scene - and it was the most confusing and painful thing she has had to do. And she was my office manager at one time and managed the filing of insurance claims. The whole insurance thing has gotten out of hand.
    jonrjen likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    881 times
    I used to have Plan F but our local carrier dropped it. I switched to their Advantage Plan. I asked why they were no longer carrying Plan F. He said too many people were using it and it was costing the government too much money which in turn meant hefty monthly premiums. He said I could look around for the AARP version and maybe get that one. But he said its costs would be going up up! He also said carriers were no longer offering Plan F to newbys. If you had it you could continue with it but be prepared for big annual increases. I mention this as Plan F and Plan G are similar plans. It seems to me that Plan G will one day go the way of Plan F.
    jonrjen likes this.
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. Ephesians 3

Member #
    Liked
    19992 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadabob View Post
    I used to have Plan F but our local carrier dropped it. I switched to their Advantage Plan. I asked why they were no longer carrying Plan F. He said too many people were using it and it was costing the government too much money which in turn meant hefty monthly premiums. He said I could look around for the AARP version and maybe get that one. But he said its costs would be going up up! He also said carriers were no longer offering Plan F to newbys. If you had it you could continue with it but be prepared for big annual increases. I mention this as Plan F and Plan G are similar plans. It seems to me that Plan G will one day go the way of Plan F.
    I figure that after a few years allowing us to experience our wanderlust of RV travel we will change over to the UNHC Advantage Wellmed plan. Plan F was a fantastic Plan if you could get it, but as of 01-01-2020 it was no longer allowing new sign ups. However, if you qualified for Medicare before 01-01-2020 you can still sign up for Plan F at any time now or in the future.
    nevadabob likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links