Very enjoyable movie
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Very enjoyable movie

Member #
    Liked
    6734 times

Thumbs up Very enjoyable movie

If you enjoy movies from World War II I just saw one that i think was a very enjoyable movie. The movie is Midway (2019) and I got it on Netflix.

It is slightly different from Midway movies in the past as it highlights a group of Navy Dive Bombers and what the few remaining ships of the US Pacific Fleet after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor went through in their effort to destroy four Japanese aircraft carriers.

I enjoyed the movie enough that I watched it a second time before I sent it back.

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21427 times
    Midway 2019 is on my watchlist with Amazon Prime. In fact, a few nights ago it was a coin flip between that and Knives Out, which won the toss. A remembrance: When my wife and I were dating, back in the 70s, we went to see the then-current theatrical release of Midway starring Charlton Heston and Henry Fonda. The only seats available were on the front row, and some of the speakers were RIGHT THERE in front of us. It was like being on the flight deck of Hornet!

If I may switch briefly to a parallel rail siding, Knives Out is a pretty good Whodunit with some decent acting and a good cast of actors. It's one of those mysteries where you don't find out who the culprit is until the end. I'm not sure Daniel Craig's southern accent is wholly believable, but having never lived in the South, I'll leave that judgment to others who are more qualified than I. All in all, a good movie to watch during these days of increasing Social Solitaire.

Okay, back to the main line. Thanks for your recommendation, Don. Midway is next on my movie list.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Member #
    Liked
    6734 times
    You will enjoy the Midway movie. It put you right inside the cockpit when the pilot rolls over at 15000 feet, goes straight down almost 90゚, and then when he passes 1500 feet he lets the bomb go. All the way down he is flying right into the anti aircraft guns on the Carrier and you can see the tracers coming right at you but there is no going back!

It was a heck of a way to make a living....

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6954 times
    I have seen the movie twice, it is a good movie.
    BangBang likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1424 times
    Actually, I was disappointed with this new Midway movie. The writers took WAY too many liberties with the story.
    Maybe it's because I'm a retired Navy pilot, but why do military movies often have some guy that's a total wildman and ignores the rules, and they make that guy the hero?

In real life the hero might be a guy that has a uniform that's always a little mussed, or gets drunk a little too often, or maybe oversleeps and misses a watch here and there.
    But when they had Dick Best making a dead-stick carrier landing from practically straight up, go below the flight deck and then pop up and set the plane on the deck, I almost shut off the movie.
    A guy like that would NEVER make it in the Navy.

And then when the intel officer told Nimitz exactly what day, time, and bearing the Japanese would make their attack on Midway, right down to the minute, that was just ridiculous!
    IMHO the 1976 film of Midway was much more historically accurate. It showed how much was good intel, and how much was chance. There was quite a bit of both.
    And Henry Fonda was a better Nimitz than Woody Harrelson.

Although, I will say that the CGI (computer-generated imagery, or special effects) on this newer version made it seem like you were diving on the Japanese fleet yourself.

Member #
    Liked
    4668 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Midway 2019 is on my watchlist with Amazon Prime. In fact, a few nights ago it was a coin flip between that and Knives Out, which won the toss. A remembrance: When my wife and I were dating, back in the 70s, we went to see the then-current theatrical release of Midway starring Charlton Heston and Henry Fonda. The only seats available were on the front row, and some of the speakers were RIGHT THERE in front of us. It was like being on the flight deck of Hornet!

If I may switch briefly to a parallel rail siding, Knives Out is a pretty good Whodunit with some decent acting and a good cast of actors. It's one of those mysteries where you don't find out who the culprit is until the end. I'm not sure Daniel Craig's southern accent is wholly believable, but having never lived in the South, I'll leave that judgment to others who are more qualified than I. All in all, a good movie to watch during these days of increasing Social Solitaire.

Okay, back to the main line. Thanks for your recommendation, Don. Midway is next on my movie list.
    My wife and I watched Knives Out last week and thought it was great. I've been meaning to watch Midway, but that will just be me running solo for that one.
    BangBang likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Member #
    Liked
    6734 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post
    Actually, I was disappointed with this new Midway movie. The writers took WAY too many liberties with the story.
    Maybe it's because I'm a retired Navy pilot, but why do military movies often have some guy that's a total wildman and ignores the rules, and they make that guy the hero?

In real life the hero might be a guy that has a uniform that's always a little mussed, or gets drunk a little too often, or maybe oversleeps and misses a watch here and there.
    But when they had Dick Best making a dead-stick carrier landing from practically straight up, go below the flight deck and then pop up and set the plane on the deck, I almost shut off the movie.
    A guy like that would NEVER make it in the Navy.

And then when the intel officer told Nimitz exactly what day, time, and bearing the Japanese would make their attack on Midway, right down to the minute, that was just ridiculous!
    IMHO the 1976 film of Midway was much more historically accurate. It showed how much was good intel, and how much was chance. There was quite a bit of both.
    And Henry Fonda was a better Nimitz than Woody Harrelson.

Although, I will say that the CGI (computer-generated imagery, or special effects) on this newer version made it seem like you were diving on the Japanese fleet yourself.

Driver, it's a movie, not a documentary.

Don
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    Daniel Craig's accent is actually pretty good in Knives Out. He does an even better southern accent in Logan Lucky, which is also a highly entertaining movie.

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Watching Patton (George C Scott) right now. Probably for the 10th time. Don't quite make them like that anymore, meaning Patton, not the movie. Watched both Midway's. Through they were both good movies, but the old one is more realistic.
    Last edited by TRIPLEBIKE; 03-24-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post

Daniel Craig's southern accent reminded me of Brad Pitt's southern accent in Inglourious Basterds.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links