My third straight 16 hour day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: My third straight 16 hour day

Member #
    Liked
    1275 times

My third straight 16 hour day

Well, I said I was going to hammer down on my OT for the up coming weeks. I am on my 3rd 16 hour day. I still manage to go to the gym on scheduled. Pay attention to the wife. Have not seen the kids in two days. I get to sleep about 4 hours a night. 2 more days this week and Ill have my weekend.
    777Driver, darbo, kruizer and 1 others like this.
    Speed doesn't kill you. It's the sudden stop. That's what gets you.

Member #
    Liked
    4973 times
    Brings something to mind I used to hear: "We appreciate all the overtime but would like some time off to spend the money."
    Flash60601 and DeltaBravoKS like this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    1275 times
    Wife doesn't know it but after this is all said and done I am taking the wife to Maui however you spell it. As well as getting her a newer ride. Something she wants. Gotta pay a few things off and get a big down payment for the car though. You know. I like being debt free however, 2019 was not a good financial year for me. Between a few big vet bills, ac going out, a transmission in my older truck. I got hit in the wallet pretty hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    Brings something to mind I used to hear: "We appreciate all the overtime but would like some time off to spend the money."
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1328 times
    I worked 7-12s for over two years. We got two days off a month. Any two we wanted. There were many 14-18 days in there as well.
    Brian845 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1275 times
    Been there done that in my younger days. I'm 30 now. I feel like I got hit by a bus on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    I worked 7-12s for over two years. We got two days off a month. Any two we wanted. There were many 14-18 days in there as well.

Member #
    Liked
    1321 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian845 View Post
    Well, I said I was going to hammer down on my OT for the up coming weeks. I am on my 3rd 16 hour day. I still manage to go to the gym on scheduled. Pay attention to the wife. Have not seen the kids in two days. I get to sleep about 4 hours a night. 2 more days this week and Ill have my weekend.
    I hope you're not an Air Traffic Controller!

Member #
    Liked
    8782 times
    once a month we work 7 straight 12 hour night shifts you are a zombie when they are over
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

Member #
    Liked
    35192 times
    After the Navy, I worked for a concrete company in Norfolk. I ran the dry batch plant at night for patch work on the Interstates and in the daytime, worked maintenance on the pre-mix plant, water treatment and geothermal plants, often even filled in as a mixer driver. One summer, if you figure by 40 hour weeks, I did 2 1/2 years of work in 8 months. I'd get home around 5 or 6am and had to be back to work at 9am. I did that Mon thru Fri, then usually 6-8 hours Saturday and 10-14 hours on Sunday. It got pretty rough after about five months of it and though I made a buncha' money, I can't say it was worth it. I made just over $49,600 that year......paid $28,000 in taxes.
    william likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    1328 times
    I worked a job on the intercoastal waterway just west off Morgan city LA one new years. A jackup work barge had spudded down (dropped anchor polls) on Texas Pipelines 8" main crude feeder. The repair is a two day job. We work around the clock as they lose X amount of money each hour its down. They could not lift the pipe up for repairs as the time and permits for shutting down traffic and blocking off on the intercoastal canal was not going to happen anytime soon, if they were even granted. We did the repair underwater. The second night as we're getting ready to lock the new section of pipe on and be done rather quick a piling broke and everything went south. The cut pipeline came loose and the gap grew by many feet before it was secured again. A New longer locking pipe stem was 8 +hours from job site. It was warm that week, Lows in the high 50s, fair. The next day when the new pipe got to us so did the 15+ knot north wind, ice and sleet. The nice quick little job we can knock out in two days and be home for the new years party turned into five days with no sleep on a barge in sleet and rain. The only place to stay dry was a conx box half full of tools and work supplies. The push boat had a bathroom. The galley table sat two people. The wheel house fit eight people elbow to elbow. I did say this was a dive job so if you weren't in the cold water woking you were standing on the end of the barge working the radio, tending dive hose, air tuggers...
    We were getting our day rate every 12 hours plus a bonus for each time it rolled over.
    The only way we made it was all the hot food you could eat, hot shower and a washer and dryer. Nobody had cold weather coats, only light jackets. They gave us yellow rain slickers. We took 16"x16" white oil absorb pads and duck tape and made waterproof carhartts. Warm and toasty as long as they were dry, Not bad wet. No sleep for five days was hard. I was 27 at the time. Our little group that worked together got put on speed dial by more than a few company vice presidents. Commercial dive company's in-between mobile and new orleans used us as freelance divers until we had our company built up enough. Two of the five of use still have large commercial dive company's. My health issues and exwife took me away from commercial diving.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3414 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian845 View Post
    Wife doesn't know it but after this is all said and done I am taking the wife to Maui however you spell it. As well as getting her a newer ride. Something she wants. Gotta pay a few things off and get a big down payment for the car though. You know. I like being debt free however, 2019 was not a good financial year for me. Between a few big vet bills, ac going out, a transmission in my older truck. I got hit in the wallet pretty hard.
    Good man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links