Biker Alert..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Biker Alert..

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    893 times

Biker Alert..

Well we're almost up to the middle of February and the signs are around to see that the preparations have begun for this year's motorcycle races. If you've not heard of the Isle of Man TT then check out the videos. Basically it's a road race against the clock. Riders set off at 10 second intervals, the fastest around the course (six, four or three laps dependent of bike size) wins. The course is ordinary town, village, country roads, no armco just straw bales. And the record, for the big bikes, set in 2018 is 217.989 km/h (135.42 mph).. by the way, that's the AVERAGE speed. They do get up over 200mph on some sections of the course. The races are held over two weeks, end of May, beginning of June, and we'll see a steady progression of stands, enclosures etc going up almost daily from now. It's a bike fest like no other starting off way back in 1909.. Get a load of this...

<font size="2"><font face="arial,sans-serif">

Cool eh..!!

Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    20113 times
    Cool yes! The "monkees" take the win for brave/stupid, not sure which!
    ManxTom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1060 times
    Do they still allow the public to ride the course when the pros and serious riders aren't practicing/racing?
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2041 times
    Tom, you lucky devil. You have your choice of front-row seats every year. Man, how cool can it get!

Have you ever been tempted to "ride along"? I think one trip around in the side-hack would do me for a lifetime.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    893 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jspdrcrmach5 View Post
    Do they still allow the public to ride the course when the pros and serious riders aren't practicing/racing?
    oh yeah, you can 'ride' the course any day of the week, it's all public road.. if you watched the video when they start after a few seconds they pass under a footbridge, the building on the left they pass is my old high school..!! During the two weeks of the races they close part of the course so it's only one way.

NOTE: since 1907 a total of some 270 competitors have been killed.. 5 in 2016..!! And the applications to race increase every year..!!
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    893 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    Tom, you lucky devil. You have your choice of front-row seats every year. Man, how cool can it get!

Have you ever been tempted to "ride along"? I think one trip around in the side-hack would do me for a lifetime.
    Never.. see my last post..!! 'nuff said.

Member #
    Liked
    11868 times
    One stray cat or dog and its over. Amazing videos, thanks
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    5812 times
    I've been to a few Indy 500's and even in the pits, but that IoM TT has to be the most thrilling speed event ever! On a motorcycle!!!
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter U'cover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Rem 870 Exp 12g - Heritage RR .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phx HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    1305 times
    Antique bike shows coming up again soon. I took first place in the unrestored with my 1981 Honda. I won't win any races with it but I could win in the pits with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    taurustoter and gbusmech like this.

Member #
    Liked
    893 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    One stray cat or dog and its over. Amazing videos, thanks

It' happened.. not a dog or a cat. A horse. 1 rider+1 horse = 1 rider+1 horse dead.

1986 Race Report: "The Formula Two race was also reduced to four laps, but this time Brian Reid made no mistakes with his fuel calculations. He led all the way on his Yamaha, establishing new race and lap records, with the consistent John Weedon second and Neil Tuxworth third.
    Unfortunately Reid unwittingly played a part in the events that led to McDonnell's fatal accident in the Junior race.
    Reid crashed at Ballaugh Bridge and the helicopter was despatched to fly him to hospital. The noise of the helicopter frightened a horse, which ran onto the course after jumping several fences and gates. McDonnell collided with the animal and was killed instantly. His bike burst into flames after sliding into a local garage and hitting some parked cars."
    Last edited by ManxTom; 02-10-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links