Biker Alert.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Biker Alert..

Member #
    Liked
    3687 times
    Ain't no way in hell you would get me to do 200 MPH on a motorcycle...or a car for that matter!
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    859 times
    This is a basic outline of the course. The start is about 300ft above sea level. Excuse the erratic 'art work'.. (I live at the bottom of the map, in Castletown)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    1220 times
    Wow. Thank you for sharing this. Fascinating race and quite a long history.
    USAF 1976-79
    Deplorable 2016-Present

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    859 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaShooter View Post
    Wow. Thank you for sharing this. Fascinating race and quite a long history.
    Yes indeed. And also a good indicator as to how 'cheap' we are in that the UK government, at the time, wouldn't legislate to allow the closing of public roads to allow road races. So they came here instead and 'we' said "Yes, sure, no problem, think of the money we'll earn in revenue etc.".

As far as I'm aware three US riders, Kenny Roberts, Randy Mamola, Wayne Rainey, have visited the course and travelled around in a car.. that's as far as they would go. None of them wanted to ride the course. Road racing is worlds away from track races where the track surface is smooth. Here the roads are subject to the everyday traffic and all of the course is on the Island's main roads. Imagine how much of a 37.73 mile course gets dug up each year for access to gas, electric, water services etc. New houses being built and construction firms needing access for their trucks, diggers etc, all leaving crud on the roads. There will be thousands arriving in May/June to watch, most of them with bikes. Even where I live, which is a good 10 miles from the closest part of the course, if you go outside after the first week you don't smell ozone (we are near the sea) you smell racing oil and leather...!!

We get a load of guys from Germany come over to watch the races. So much so that three or four German policemen take their leave and spend it here, in uniform and on their police bikes, to aid our local police - language mostly. Truly an international event.
    william likes this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    When I was young and bullet proof I wanted to race the Isle Of Man tt so bad. But I ended up going desert racing instead, anyone remember the Barstow to Vegas race? Ran the baja once didn't finish due to cracked frame. And many small races one in particular comes to mind the oh my god 100 in NM.
    ManxTom likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22210 times
    Biking can be a fun and a dangerous sport. I used to do Daytona Bike Week every year in the early 2000s (where my user name came from) but on my last trip down there 4 riders were killed - on the streets not the speedway. One was a 17 yo who got off into one of the neighborhoods and was showing off after dark. He got his bike up to over 100 mph and ran right into a brick wall. The straightaway street he was on dead ended after a block and a half; couldn't see the wall which indicated the "dead end" in the dark!

i also was in the Pepsi Tower when Scott Russel (Mr Daytona) failed a clean start (was on a Dukati then) and was hit by the next 20 bikers behind him. He spent 3 months in the hospital with nearly every bone in his pelvis and below broken.

Mine came ~ 2008 when I leaned into a curve accelerating through 80 mph. Unfortunately, it was a decreasing radius turn and my youngest son was on the back. Fortunately, there was no oncoming traffic so we politely plowed up a farmer's front yard. After a couple hours in the ER we were released. After getting the bike repaired I did one more long distance bike trip - West Virginia and back. Whatever itch that needed to be scratched by biking had been scratched. I sold the bike in 2012 and never looked back.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    Ain't no way in hell you would get me to do 200 MPH on a motorcycle...or a car for that matter!
    Would you reconsider your comment if I told you it was easier to do than not? Where we live there is about 25 miles of I-20 straightaway as you go west approaching Alabama. Until about 8 years ago, when a lot of road work began on this stretch of road, it was rarely patrolled as it was rural enough that the posted speed limit was 70 mph which meant most cops will allow 80 mph. For some reason, cops rarely bother bikers; during my Daytona days we used to line up 5-6 bikers long and rode the inner part of the left lane of the interstate from ATL to Daytona maintaining speeds of 90+ mph and the cops never bothered us.

Anyway, on this stretch between west Ga and East 'Bama bikers used to do speed tests. We would get upwards of 100-120 mph without a problem. Part of the problem (if you call it that) was the bikes were so well built and cut the wind so aerodynamically that you felt like you were doing maybe 60. Anytime I added a modification to my bike I would speed test it up to 110 mph to make sure there was no shimmy or shake. But anytime you are in a car and someone passes you at speed it looks like they won't make it another mile!
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    859 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Biking can be a fun and a dangerous sport. I used to do Daytona Bike Week every year in the early 2000s (where my user name came from) but on my last trip down there 4 riders were killed - on the streets not the speedway. One was a 17 yo who got off into one of the neighborhoods and was showing off after dark. He got his bike up to over 100 mph and ran right into a brick wall. The straightaway street he was on dead ended after a block and a half; couldn't see the wall which indicated the "dead end" in the dark!

i also was in the Pepsi Tower when Scott Russel (Mr Daytona) failed a clean start (was on a Dukati then) and was hit by the next 20 bikers behind him. He spent 3 months in the hospital with nearly every bone in his pelvis and below broken.

Mine came ~ 2008 when I leaned into a curve accelerating through 80 mph. Unfortunately, it was a decreasing radius turn and my youngest son was on the back. Fortunately, there was no oncoming traffic so we politely plowed up a farmer's front yard. After a couple hours in the ER we were released. After getting the bike repaired I did one more long distance bike trip - West Virginia and back. Whatever itch that needed to be scratched by biking had been scratched. I sold the bike in 2012 and never looked back.

That makes for sobering reading, I'm glad you came through. Perhaps this link puts it in even greater focus. Oh and it doesn't list all the bikers who come to watch who have died..!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rse_fatalities

EDIT: I need to clarify that, apart from the TT, there other race meetings that use the same course. The Classic TT, in August, is for bikes from earlier years - MV's etc. The Manx Grand Prix, usually September, is for riders without an international racing licence. It is a stipulation that they have to compete in these races, of their chosen classification, to be able to enter for the TT races.
    Last edited by ManxTom; 02-12-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    daytonaredeye likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    567 times
    GO TT! What a race and the riders are amazing at what they do on a regular street course.
    ManxTom likes this.
    Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21249 times
    I reckon I'll take my hillbilly self and enter that there race, any money to be win or all side bets?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ManxTom likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links