Life without pay television... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Life without pay television...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3238 times
    I got cable several decades ago when the wife moved in.

The wife and the cable are still at home.

A couple of years ago when Sling was getting off the ground and everyone was singing its praises (something like $5/mo) we did a free trial so she could watch a basketball game on ESPNU. It worked great...until the last minute and a half of the game, when the program was "no longer available". It seems that Sling blocked a specific time slot for that game, and once that time expired, the game was no longer shown. Much as I'd like to get rid of cable, that experience put the Kibosh on streaming services. Everyone sings their praises, but I've never seen one that actually works in a real world situation.

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariwine View Post
    We cut the cord 5 years ago. Got a Roku box. I watch mainly youtube and netflix. We also have hulu, amazon and disney. But I pay for youtube so I don't have to watch the commercials.
    I recently discovered that the Adblocker Ultimate add-on for Firefox somehow blocks the commercials. Haven't seen one on youtube since installing it. Commercials have been my biggest complaint with pay TV, especially since most have become long infomercials. I understand that local antenna stations have to get paid through advertising but paying for satellite or cable and still having to put up with advertising, not me.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post
    Wife dropped DirectTV when she realized she could get the same channels she watched elsewhere. $250/mo back into the budget, and she doesn't miss it.
    $250??? What were you doing buying stock in the company at the same time you were paying your bill. That's more than twice what we pay. No wonder you dropped it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    925 times
    We had Direct Tv for about 3 yrs after moving to South Carolina. I had an antenna back in Michigan so I checked TVFool and a few other sites like it when we first moved and the resulting predicted reception was horrible. Maybe 7 channels (counting sub-channels). So for the next few years I didn't even bother with an antenna. Big mistake! Found an online deal for a refurbished Antennas Direct 2V fir $28 when new it was about $80. I figured how much 'refurbishing' does an antenna need, so I bought it just to play around with it. OMG.....I am getting over 60 channels with it just mounted on the outside wall of a 2nd story bedroom window. Lately, I have been scanning for channels and getting 68 of them but that drops down to between 60 and 64 in the summer. I don't even watch the vast majority of those but I do get all of the major ones (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS) quite well plus a couple of other local channels that sometimes have some interesting stuff. Direct TV was cancelled that same week and I don't miss it at all.

We have Roku devices on our tvs and an Amazon Prime account and can watch videos and movies there (the FREE ones, at least), Netflix for my wife and then Roku has their own channel with decent older movies. Just started looking at Pluto TV (free) and there is far more on that than I could ever watch.

Cable TV or satellite? Nope, don't need it and love the $$$ savings as we had Amazon Prime and Netflix even when we had Direct TV. Still have internet from Spectrum but my phone is an Ooma device that I have had for 6 years and it works great.
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

Member #
    Liked
    925 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook49 View Post

Speaking of antennas on the roof. I can still remember my dad climbing on the roof to adjust the reception and he and my mom hollering back and forth. "Turn it just a little more, no that's to far" Dad would holler out "what did you say" Mom would yell louder turn it a little more to your left". Dad would still be hollering "what did you say". Then they'd decide they need a middle man to translate which would be me standing at the open door hollering up and relaying mom's instructions to dad and then relaying dad's cursing back to mom without the curse words.
    I grew up in a similar situation. We had a old house with a two level roof and the antenna mast mounted on the lower roof just outside of a 2nd story window. My Dad kept a pipe wrench inside on the window sill and would use it to attach to the mast and turn the antenna when needed as we had stations from Chicago and then South Bend, Indiana (about 90 degrees apart). As I got older, I became the official antenna rotator and he would be at the TV shouting instructions to me. It was a lot more fun to do that in the summer than in the winter, though! LOL I still have that same pipe wrench 50+ years later!
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31878 times
    You kiddin'? If we didn't have cable, we wouldn't have TV! I'm 100 miles from Houston and about 130 from SA. Might pick up Victoria. 60 miles. With my luck, it'd be a Spanish station.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I cut the cord about 7 years ago. Never looked back! I use a Roku box that streams anything I want, including movie rentals from all studios, not just the ones who licensed films to DirectTV or Comcast, etc. I have an antenna that gets all the local channels. I'll never do cable again.

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    We use only the leaf antennas (see Wal-Mart amazon etc)

Rectangular thin plastic with coax cable connecting it to tv

Some are boosted by AC power

We have great luck getting many digital channels
    USAF 1976-79
    Deplorable 2016-Present

Member #
    Liked
    5462 times
    We cut cable back in the summer. Just netflix, and amazon prime. I miss some stuff, NCIS and a few other shows but not enough to pay for them. Cable didn't even try to retain us and they used to offer deals at the mere threat of leaving! Now I watch mostly YouTube videos!
    slong115 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1029 times
    "watch32.is", keep your antivirus up to date and hook Your laptop to Your TV via an HDMI cable, everything You're paying for You can get for free.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links