plastic aircraft models
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: plastic aircraft models

Member #
    Liked
    8750 times

plastic aircraft models

I was looking for something to do with the 10 year-old grandson and decided to try building models. The only place that has any models (in our small town ) is ollies there he decided on a aircraft the picked out a F-8J crusader. He thought it was cool that Grandpa worked the flight deck with the Crusader when he was young. I had to order model glue and paint online I also ordered him a A-6 Intruder which is the aircraft that I fixed for most of my 20 years in the navy. Trying to get him off the electronics and doing some other things His dad is a good guy but will admit that he is not cut out to be a single father. The wife and I help with the grandson and granddaughter and are his backup he is still active duty navy. As a kid I enjoyed building models and also doing the old paint by numbers pictures that stuff is hard to find now
    avatar is VA-34 Blue Blasters squadron insignia one of the many I wore from 1977-1998

Member #
    Liked
    11641 times
    Way to go grandpa. If he shows interest, then expand the projects to include cars/trucks/ships etc.. he wants to build. Then a trip to an air/or navy museum to reinforce the excitement. My son loved the air shows and ship museum trips.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    34709 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vaskeet View Post
    I was looking for something to do with the 10 year-old grandson and decided to try building models. The only place that has any models (in our small town ) is ollies there he decided on a aircraft the picked out a F-8J crusader. He thought it was cool that Grandpa worked the flight deck with the Crusader when he was young. I had to order model glue and paint online I also ordered him a A-6 Intruder which is the aircraft that I fixed for most of my 20 years in the navy. Trying to get him off the electronics and doing some other things His dad is a good guy but will admit that he is not cut out to be a single father. The wife and I help with the grandson and granddaughter and are his backup he is still active duty navy. As a kid I enjoyed building models and also doing the old paint by numbers pictures that stuff is hard to find now
    I was big into building model planes for a few years before I went in the Navy. If you're going for camo and realism, invest in a fair to awesome airbrush. My wife (at the time) was into ceramics and showed me how to dry-brush, which is the way to go on instrument panels. My eyes just aren't good enough for that kind of detail work anymore and I sure miss it. ...enjoy!
    Jake3501 likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    586 times
    He'll stay cleaner building them on the computer ... and he won't sniff model glue :-)

Confidence comes from doing something, somehow this generation thinks our kids should be confident because we tell them they are great. They are smart enough to know. Building and following directions is a great life skill and anything done with grandad is great.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32178 times
    If you have a Michaels or a Hobby Lobby anywhere close, they have models, Este Rockets, paints, everything a boy needs to grow his imagination. Keep up the good work Gramps.
    Desperado likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Maybe lookup a local radio control airplane club and both of you visit to see not only building models but flying them. A way to learn a lot of different skills and
    meet fellow modelers. The electric planes that are available are amazing now.

Member #
    Liked
    5685 times
    I put together a P-51D Revell model outfitted in the color scheme and even correct aircraft numbers that my dad flew in WWII. 8th AF, 352nd Fighter Group, stationed in Bodney, Norfolk, England. Pretty cool to have a model of the exact plane. I was big model builder as a kid. Moved on to balsa wood rubber band powered, then balsa with a Cox .049 glow plug motor. Finally soloed in a Cessna 152-II when I was in my early 20's.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter U'cover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Rem 870 Exp 12g - Heritage RR .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phx HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - Hi-Point 995TS - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    2299 times
    I think my 1st was a mobile van, don't remember the make or model. Painted with a paint brush.
    Moved on to car's, van's pickup's and a Semi Tractor someone had started, don't remember where I found the Semi.
    Built a model Robert E Lee paddle boat.

I went to my girlfriends house one Christmas, her younger brother had received a visible V-8 moter.
    He had it almost completed, but it wouldn't spin like it should, we disassembled and reassembled it to working order.
    Kinda upset the girlfriend, as she wanted to leave way before the motor was done.
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

Member #
    Liked
    1245 times
    Back in the day, you bought everything at hobby stores. Today everything is online.
    I started out building model airplanes when I was a kid. Loved it!
    It fueled my interest in flying; which led to taking flying lessons; which led to getting a college degree in aeronautics; which led to joining the Navy and going to flight school; which led to flying S-3A Vikings off the USS Constellation and the USS Carl Vinson; which led to a second career flying jets at Delta Air Lines; which led to a comfortable retirement.
    It's been a great life!

Try to take your grandson to an aviation museum. Most military bases have museums for their military specialty.
    You're close to Virgina Beach; try NAS Oceana.
    Last edited by 777Driver; 01-22-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    loudviking likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vaskeet View Post
    This could be the perfect entry into R/C, then onto the real thing. At 60 years old, I still fly R/C Helis. They are a blast.

I noticed you're in NC. I provided a link for R/C Clubs in NC. Take him to an R/C Heli Demo one day. Both of you will probably love it.

https://www.rc-airplane-world.com/north-carolina-rc-airplane-clubs.html

Enjoy!
    Last edited by GreatViews; 01-22-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    loudviking and 777Driver like this.
    Five rounds = 1 Hole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links