Have you ever considered vehicle regression? - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes

Thread: Have you ever considered vehicle regression?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    We still own a 1970 AMX. Needless to say this was American Motors contribution to the muscle car era. The condition of the car is excellent both mechanically and aesthetically, and I still drive it on occasion.

We also own a 2002 Acura RSX, a 2006 RSX, a 2006 Solara, and a 1992 Camry.

Believe me Folks... That AMX is fun to drive with it's big displacement and 4 speed... Along with it's stupid brakes and non-existent handling. It's still old school fun.

BUT, to get out of that car and get directly into the 06' RSX is truly an experience in "Oh Yeah, that's why we own these things", with their side bolstered leather seats, air conditioning, quiet cabin, 2 liter motors that get 30mpg (and make over 100 hp per liter), and the little things... Power steering, power brakes, AM/FM/CDs, tinted glass, mid 13 second 1/4 mile performance with NO exhaust odors, NO 10 miles to the gallon (on nav gas (100 octane), NO fouled spark plugs or broken valve springs, blah, blah.

My suggestion would be driving an older car for a couple of weeks if possible, then confirm your desire to "Drive something older". Yeah, the new cars are technological nightmares, but seriously? Other than a flat tire or running out of gas, when's that last time one left you stranded? There is definitely something to be said for "Limp-in mode".
    Last edited by GreatViews; 01-14-2020 at 02:40 PM.
    Five rounds = 1 Hole

Member #
    Liked
    8403 times
    Definitely.

I lust for a vehicle where the only thing smarter than me that's in it is the radio (no GPS, no satellite radio- I can read a map and I have over 20 gigs of music to choose from that I already own and regularly add to it as the impulse strikes).

Maybe a early to mid '60's resto-mod with 4 wheel disc, updated suspension and a resto-mod air conditioner.
    jonrjen likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32626 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatViews View Post
    We still own a 1970 AMX. Needless to say this was American Motors contribution to the muscle car era. The condition of the car is excellent both mechanically and aesthetically, and I still drive it on occasion.

Believe me Folks... That AMX is fun to drive with it's big displacement and 4 speed... Along with it's stupid brakes and non-existent handling. It's still old school fun.

BUT, to get out of that car and get directly into the 06' RSX is truly an experience in "Oh Yeah, that's why we own these things", with their side bolstered leather seats, air conditioning, quiet cabin, 2 liter motors that get 30mpg (and make over 1 hp per liter), and the little things... Power steering, power brakes, AM/FM/CDs, tinted glass, mid 13 second 1/4 mile performance with NO exhaust odors, NO 10 miles to the gallon (on nav gas (100 octane), NO fouled spark plugs or broken valve springs, blah, blah.

My suggestion would be driving an older car for a couple of weeks if possible, then confirm your desire to "Drive something older". Yeah, the new cars are technological nightmares, but seriously? Other than a flat tire or running out of gas, when's that last time one left you stranded? There's is definitely something to be said for "Limp-in mode".
    1HP per liter? Wow, impressive.
    jtg452 and mhank like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8389 times
    I tried it for a while with a 1972 Chevrolet C-10, and sold that pickup within 6 months. The list of "improvements" I had to make to it was staggering, to asy the least, but it did make it easier to drive.

- Swapped out old AC system for a Vintage Air updated system. Removed that bulky Fridgidaire compressor of the right front, and that ugly piece on the right firewall where the heater and AC hoses entered. I could finally replace all the right side spark plugs without adding new curse words to the English language.

- Upgraded to a Pertronix electronic ignition system in the distributor. Worked great.

- Swapped up to a Edelbrock Performer manifold and Holley carb. Again, worked great.

- Added a dual exhaust from the manifolds back with an X pipe. Nice sound with Magnaflow mufflers.

Now for the bad part. All of that, and I still was getting 10 MPG at best, the engine sounded like it was about to blow at anything over 65 MPH, as it was at about 3000 RPM at that speed. NOT a vehicle for local freeways or long distance travel. NO cruise control, power windows, or even a CD player.

Compare that to my "newer" Chevrolet Silverado, and it is night and day. Nearly 20 MPG at 75 MPH with the AC on. Cruise control for those long trips. Engine purrs at that speed instead of screaming for mercy. And a comfortable ride.

Yes, I liked that old C-10, but dang, the newer Silverado is just so much more comfortable and efficient that it is worth whatever it takes to keep it going.
    Electing Joe Biden as President will be similar to going bear hunting at night with just a pair of chop sticks and a lit candle. You know it is a bad idea from the outset, you can not defend yourself, you are ill prepared for what can and maybe will happen, and you question why you even thought it would be a good idea in the first place.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32626 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I tried it for a while with a 1972 Chevrolet C-10, and sold that pickup within 6 months. The list of "improvements" I had to make to it was staggering, to asy the least, but it did make it easier to drive.

- Swapped out old AC system for a Vintage Air updated system. Removed that bulky Fridgidaire compressor of the right front, and that ugly piece on the right firewall where the heater and AC hoses entered. I could finally replace all the right side spark plugs without adding new curse words to the English language.

- Upgraded to a Pertronix electronic ignition system in the distributor. Worked great.

- Swapped up to a Edelbrock Performer manifold and Holley carb. Again, worked great.

- Added a dual exhaust from the manifolds back with an X pipe. Nice sound with Magnaflow mufflers.

Now for the bad part. All of that, and I still was getting 10 MPG at best, the engine sounded like it was about to blow at anything over 65 MPH, as it was at about 3000 RPM at that speed. NOT a vehicle for local freeways or long distance travel. NO cruise control, power windows, or even a CD player.

Compare that to my "newer" Chevrolet Silverado, and it is night and day. Nearly 20 MPG at 75 MPH with the AC on. Cruise control for those long trips. Engine purrs at that speed instead of screaming for mercy. And a comfortable ride.

Yes, I liked that old C-10, but dang, the newer Silverado is just so much more comfortable and efficient that it is worth whatever it takes to keep it going.
    My old Ford has a cassette player. I had a bunch of recorded cassettes, though, and still have a functional player/recorder. I bought some blank cassettes off the net. May never use 'em all, but at least I have 'em. My Silverado has a CD player, but I never use it as I don't keep CDs in the truck in the heat of summer. The Silverado runs great, but it does rely on computers, not just for the engine, but also for the six speed automatic transmission.
    jonrjen and jwc007 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    7727 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatViews View Post

BUT, to get out of that car and get directly into the 06' RSX is truly an experience in "Oh Yeah, that's why we own these things", with their side bolstered leather seats, air conditioning, quiet cabin, 2 liter motors that get 30mpg (and make over 1 hp per liter), and the little things... Power steering, power brakes, AM/FM/CDs, tinted glass, mid 13 second 1/4 mile performance with NO exhaust odors, NO 10 miles to the gallon (on nav gas (100 octane), NO fouled spark plugs or broken valve springs, blah, blah.

My suggestion would be driving an older car for a couple of weeks if possible, then confirm your desire to "Drive something older". Yeah, the new cars are technological nightmares, but seriously? Other than a flat tire or running out of gas, when's that last time one left you stranded? There's is definitely something to be said for "Limp-in mode".
    What size was the motor ? Back then i knew a guy that had one that was green and had the 390cid with 4-bbl , 4 in the floor . He was stupid and raced a corvette one nice and he flipped the car and rolled it . He still drove it around town for a few days for all to see . Such a dummy ! But it was really a beautiful muscle car ! Looked like the one in this link :

https://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/stag...rofile_Web.jpg
    jonrjen likes this.
    RonLPT24/7

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPT24/7 View Post
    What size was the motor ? Back then i knew a guy that had one that was green and had the 390cid with 4-bbl , 4 in the floor . He was stupid and raced a corvette one nice and he flipped the car and rolled it . He still drove it around town for a few days for all to see . Such a dummy ! But it was really a beautiful muscle car ! Looked like the one in this link :

https://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/stag...rofile_Web.jpg
    It's a 360, 4 speed. By today's standards, it's a dog. But for back then it was considered fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Five rounds = 1 Hole

Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    Mine is a 1967 Plymouth valiant no ac bench seats white paint 225 ci slant 6 Automatic trans. And one heck of a stereo for the time, a Blaupunkt Berlin with matching speakers.
    Czechbikr, jonrjen and glenwolde like this.

Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Ah yes who didn't enjoy replacing their points, condenser and spark plugs every 15 to 20 thousand miles. I even miss that old leaky water pump that people tried to plug up the hole that water leaked from. And who didn't like putting new brushes in their generator at about 25,000 miles. Nothing like those old radiators that would rot out by 30,000 miles. Even when adding that jar of BAR's stop leak that looked like rabbit pellets it would still leak. What I really miss is the vacuum windshield wipers on the really old cars that would hardly move going up a hill in hard rain but would beat the window trim off the windshield going down the hill they were moving so fast. I also have fond memories of beating on the side of my carburetor with a hammer to get the float unstuck. That is until I hit it so hard I knocked a hole in the side of the carburetor on my '64 Mercury Comet. And for a really wild ride how about when that motor mount on the drivers side breaks and the motor rotates up and shoves the accelerator rod to the carburetor wide open. That gets real exciting in traffic. Yeah those were the good old days who don't miss that?

Member #
    Liked
    2829 times
    That's why I still have my 1987 Ford F250 Heavy Duty 4x4 Diesel. It's not pretty but it gets to to town and back in the nastiest of weather.
    jonrjen and RonPT24/7 like this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links