Have you ever considered vehicle regression? - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes

Thread: Have you ever considered vehicle regression?

Member #
    Liked
    20042 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    Here's my simple car. (One of them.) Hasn't had the engine rebuilt since new...that just over 65 years and 65K miles ago. Runs pretty good - pretty smooth and very quiet. It has been repainted and reupholstered, though. Obviously not a daily driver. I rewired the entire car last year and I'm trying to get the overdrive to start working again, so they require a lot of work, even when you don't put a lot of miles on them. I honestly couldn't imagine using this car as a daily driver. Even with the lower miles, the maintenance would be beyond daunting.
    First, let me say, that is Beautiful.

Second, please allow me to ask if you will post a few photos of any other like vehicles that you have.

That station wagon is SWEET!!! I still wish that manufactures produced station wagons. They just have so much more class and design than the loathed mini van concept that replaced them.
    Rossi and TrucksNCoffee like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2911 times
    I don't remember seeing a 2 dr wagon? Was thinking 53/54?.....I was close.
    When in high school I had a 56 chevy 2 dr- it was a fine car. $200! But of course back then that was a lot of moolah- especially for a kid in school. I was working as a bag boy at Piggley Wiggley. My dad signed my note at the bank and my payments were $22 per mo.

How many remember pulling up to a gas station and getting a $1 worth of gas?
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    2593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    At the same time cars have become more complicated, they have become more reliable. Your 1960 "simple" car or truck was worn out at 100,000 miles. Now, that is just broken-in. It is not unusual to get 200-300,000 miles. So, yeah, some peripherals have died before the vehicle gets junked, but even the heated/cooled/massaging seats have lasted past the point that that 1960 vehicle needed a total chassis-off restoration just to keep running.
    So I'll keep my air-bags ans stability control, and hopefully my next vehicle will even add adaptive cruise control and thumb warmers.
    Not always. I had a 1967 Volkswagen Type 3 Squareback that had over 700,000 miles on it when I sold it to a co-worker. I have no idea how many more miles he put on it. The engine had been rebuilt twice and replaced once, but everything else (except for tires, brakes, etc) was original. And it was far from a junker - still looked good & drove fine.
    jonrjen likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid."

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7045 times
    The biggest problem with todays cars s the average person cannot work on them. I realize that is the topic of discussion, if you don't have a large investment is a computer system you cannot fix anything.
    jonrjen likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45477 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    It would be nice but you'd have to be able to do everything yourself, hard to find anyone that can still set points, adjust valves, set timing, rebuild carbs, etc. Parts would be the real hangup, most of the conventional stuff is long gone. Things like points, condensers, and distributors often crossed to forklift, ag or heavy equipment applications and remained somewhat available for awhile but now, all that stuff has gone computerized too so many standard ignition parts are totally out of production. What NOS stuff is still floating around out there is all there is and it's gettin' to be less all the time.

BTW...a positive ground system is no more complicated than a negative ground system......you just have to work on it from the other side of the vehicle.
    Does it help if one is left handed?
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45477 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctordeere View Post
    Not always. I had a 1967 Volkswagen Type 3 Squareback that had over 700,000 miles on it when I sold it to a co-worker. I have no idea how many more miles he put on it. The engine had been rebuilt twice and replaced once, but everything else (except for tires, brakes, etc) was original. And it was far from a junker - still looked good & drove fine.
    MadKaw brings up a memory of vehicles that were worn out and junkers just 3-5 years after rolling off the line. In Chicago you could count on having the exhaust system dragging down the road after just 3 years, brake lines rusting out in 6-8 and being able to put your hand through anywhere on the rocker panels after yen years.

There are times I am happy that they don't "make them like they used to". Imagine a bank giving a 6 year loan on one of the early 60's vehicles.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    20042 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    I had a 1964 Plymouth Valiant slant-six with the push button transmission. It was simple and easy to fix. Which was good because it broke a lot. I'd be O.K. with the concept but you need to be a zealot about maintenance.
    My first car was a 1963 Plymouth Valiant with the 225 slant-6 and push button transmission. It was a breeze to work on from tune ups to brakes. Heck, I got real good at replacing the entire rear end on it. Too many times I could be found at the junk yard removing the rear end (complete including brakes, axles and gear housing) Neutral Drop burn outs would scrape the teeth right of the ring and pinion gears.

Oh man, if that car could talk, I would have to destroy it promptly.
    jwc007 and glenwolde like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2593 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    MadKaw brings up a memory of vehicles that were worn out and junkers just 3-5 years after rolling off the line. In Chicago you could count on having the exhaust system dragging down the road after just 3 years, brake lines rusting out in 6-8 and being able to put your hand through anywhere on the rocker panels after yen years.
    There are times I am happy that they don't "make them like they used to". Imagine a bank giving a 6 year loan on one of the early 60's vehicles.
    We're fortunate here. If you see a rustbucket around here, you know it spent its previous time somewhere else. On any given day's commute to and from work, I'll see at least half a dozen cars & trucks from the 60's into the early 70's still used as daily drivers.
    Czechbikr, jonrjen and jwc007 like this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid."

Member #
    Liked
    7727 times
    Yes my dream car now that i could work on was a 66' Chevy Caprice ,two door , 327cid , 4 bbl . I had a fan belt pulley to break on me once and i had to drill and tap out the bolts holding in on . Did all the tune ups and oil changes on it and was proud of it ! Only thing i wish i had done was change the timing belt and kept it until today .

Name:  66 Chevy Caprice2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  631.4 KB
    RonLPT24/7

Member #
    Liked
    7699 times
    I still drive a 1983 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, 6.2 mechanically injected diesel and manual transmission. If you like some of the new stuff like TPMS you can buy a system off Amazon for $50, in wheel sensors and all.https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Moni...HEBPQSTP0SA3RR
    Last edited by jimb1972; 01-13-2020 at 08:36 AM.
    Rossi and jonrjen like this.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links