Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Gave my 2 1/2 week notice.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18400 times

Gave my 2 1/2 week notice.

I let everyone at work know that as of Jan. 17th, I will be retired.

The person that schedules work orders looked at me and teared up. She's already 10 days behind on scheduling work due to lack of techs. I,ve already been approached by upper management about doing part time work. I told them it depends on my wife's upcoming surgeries or if she'll even need them, and how long it will take for her to drive me insa, er I mean how long her honey do list is.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46681 times
    I want to say congratulations on the life change decision, but it sounds as if it's not completely voluntary due to the possibility of having to make yourself available for care for your bride. I hope that turns out to be not necessary and that she is back in total health soon.

Regarding future work for them, maybe consider negotiating a consulting position? It could afford more flexibility and probably tax breaks writing off home office space and vehicle expense. Check with an accountant on that possibility.
    CJS3 likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    5869 times
    Congratulations! You made it.

They call it re-tiring because you supposedly put on new tires. Doing something
    else with your life.

All the Best,
    D. White
    DeltaBravoKS and CJS3 like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Happy retirement, I retired in July and love it, almost 40 years service I'm 63 be 64 April, January 6 signing up for social security investments did well enough that I don't have to work anymore, and yes they have been after me to work 2, 3 days a week, I don't think so, I've worked enough.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    CJS3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4443 times
    Wow, congratulations. Unfortunately, I don't seem myself ever retiring so it is great to hear of someone who is able to pull it off.

I'd certainly negotiate from strength if you decide to do part-time work for them. They'll be saving a ton by not having you as a full time employee, so work that in to your negotiations. I'd start out at least double what you're making now (calculated per hour) and make sure you have a minimum charge regardless as to how many hours you put in. Start high (so they know how serious you are) and make them work up to their threshold (so you know how serious they are).

Of course, now that you're retired, we'll expect more postings on TA.net!
    CJS3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    35257 times
    Congratulations, and all the best to your wife!

It's a big adjustment, in a lot of ways. For what little my opinion on the matter is worth, I think tapering off makes a lot of sense. Keep working at some level for a while.
    CJS3 likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Well after 40 years gone my two sister's have moved back to where we grew up, they built a new house on 40 + acres, so I will have enough to do between keeping up with my residence, mowing the lawns in the summer and plowing snow in the winter, we do live in the Pennsylvania snow belt but have been pretty lucky so far.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    CJS3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    314 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    I let everyone at work know that as of Jan. 17th, I will be retired.
    I,ve already been approached by upper management about doing part time work. ney do list is.
    That's what I did for 2 years before I completely retired. My company asked if I would oversee the remodeling of a jail in Augusta, GA for them which required me being on site 3 days a week. It took a year and a half to complete that job and for another 6 months I hung around 3 days a week doing misc. troubleshooting on some government buildings in Augusta. The day I retired for good they asked If I would be interested in taking a job in West Virginia 3 days a week which should take about another year and I told them thanks but no thanks, this time I'm throwing the towel in for good and that was back in 2014.
    CJS3 and Czechbikr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5246 times
    Congratulations on your upcoming retirement CJS3. I'll pray for your wifes good health.

Good Techs are rare as your schedualing coworked indicated. If you find retirement to boring, you may want to consider going back to work for a day or two every week. Think of all the firearms you can buy with the extra money!
    Czechbikr and CJS3 like this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    6477 times
    Congratulations! Now is the time enjoy your well deserved golden years. I do like Czech's suggestion about possibly doing consulting if they need it. You don't have to work full time and it keeps you active with a little extra income. My intention is to do that when I retire in a few years - maybe some cooking demo's, teaching, etc.. Get my own show on FoodTV (ok maybe not that..)
    Best of Luck to you and your wife!!
    Czechbikr and CJS3 like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links