50 years ago today!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: 50 years ago today!

Member #
    Liked
    922 times

50 years ago today!

Dec 29th, 1969, I was a terrified young 18yr old standing in the dark on the yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego along with 70 other new recruits about to start the ordeal of Marine Corps boot camp and wondering what the Hell I gotten myself into. I'd bet most of us were thinking that same thought. It was quite a shock for an immature kid and his first time away from home. Needless to say, i grew-up FAST. The transition wasn't 'pleasant', but it was very effective.

My 4yrs in the Corps took me from California to Tennessee (Navy Aviation Electronics School), back to California at MCAS El Toro for my first real duty station. After about 9 months there I volunteered to go overseas and was assigned to MCAS Iwakuni, Japan. Although Iwakuni was my home base for my entire overseas ‘experience’, I was only there a total of a few months as my F4 Phantom squadron was constantly deployed. I got to see the Philippines, Okinawa, Vietnam, Thailand and Hong Kong (not to mention a fueling stop at Wake Island on my way to Japan). The Gunnery Sgt in charge of my maintenance shop was not only a true leader, he was one of the best people it has been my pleasure to work for in my entire life. He knew all of our jobs as good if not better than most of us and took great care of his people.

That tour overseas was the highlight of my entire time in the Corps. I actually enjoyed it and being constantly deployed to different countries was the experience of a lifetime. I was actually giving serious consideration to making a career out of the Marines…………..but then I came back stateside and got assigned to MCAS Cherry Point, NC. for my last 16 months of my enlistment. There I worked for the worst NCO in my entire enlistment and that stark contrast compared to the Gunnery Sgt overseas really affected my attitude and put out any desire to remain the Corps.

Semper Fi to all my Marines here on the forum and a big salute to all who served in any other branch, too!
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32143 times
    My dad stood on the yellow footprints about 12 years before you did. he went to Okinawa then back to the states, and was an MP. He made Sergeant in the 3 years he was there. He wanted to fly helecopters but his eyesight precluded him from doing that, so he rotated out and came home. If they had let him fly copters, I wouldn't have been born and he would have ended up in Vietnam.

Semper Fi to all Marines, you're an elite group of guys and I'll always admire you.
    Jake3501 and slong115 like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Thank YOU and all the others on this site who have served for all of US.

We live less than two miles from the back gate of Pendleton here in NO. San Diego. I'll often see the the "kids" getting acclimated to the service life. Almost exactly as you described yourself back in the day. It hasn't changed. Those kids are still scared shitless. My wife owns a small retail store here in town and often employs younger (< 21 years old) Marine wives. It's a struggle for those guys. It's not just the enlisted that make tremendous sacrifices. Maintaining quality family lives is a tall order for those wives with children, especially during deployment. God Bless you all.

I also noticed you did Avionics. I was born and raised in Connecticut. Got my BSME at Uconn and worked in the Aerospace industry. My specialization was EMI/RFI shielding for multi-axis pistol grip sidearm controllers used in MIL/NAV armament control... I don't miss it. I'd rather shoot a.22 at tin cans.

Have a great holiday.
    Five rounds = 1 Hole

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2605 times
    50 years ago today I was 3rd Assistant Engineer on the S/S Copper State crossing the Pacific.....headed towards Coos Bay OR....we were coming from Nha Trang V. Worst duty I ever pulled. I was one glad dude to get off that ship. That was my last overseas trip- thank God.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    2441 times
    ​Fifty years ago today I was halfway through my first tour in Vietnam.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة
    Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, & Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Member #
    Liked
    33014 times
    Great story; thank you for your service!
    slong115 and texastaurusguy like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8371 times
    Thank you to all that served! I'd love to see this thread continue so we could honor and get to know are members who served!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    texastaurusguy likes this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatViews View Post
    Thank YOU and all the others on this site who have served for all of US.

We live less than two miles from the back gate of Pendleton here in NO. San Diego. I'll often see the the "kids" getting acclimated to the service life. Almost exactly as you described yourself back in the day. It hasn't changed. Those kids are still scared shitless. My wife owns a small retail store here in town and often employs younger (< 21 years old) Marine wives. It's a struggle for those guys. It's not just the enlisted that make tremendous sacrifices. Maintaining quality family lives is a tall order for those wives with children, especially during deployment. God Bless you all.

I also noticed you did Avionics. I was born and raised in Connecticut. Got my BSME at Uconn and worked in the Aerospace industry. My specialization was EMI/RFI shielding for multi-axis pistol grip sidearm controllers used in MIL/NAV armament control... I don't miss it. I'd rather shoot a.22 at tin cans.

Have a great holiday.
    Another EMI type! Who would've thought! I did EMC/wireless FCC cert for a decade before moving down here to work in RF connectors.
    Got my Radio Freq start as a Navy Electronics Tech, served 6 years and two deployments. Kosovo in '99 and Persian Gulf/Afghanistan in '01.
    Feels like a lifetime ago...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by badge851 View Post
    ​Fifty years ago today I was halfway through my first tour in Vietnam.
    I was a little better than halfway through my second tour in Vietnam....
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    34652 times
    It's only been 26 years for me, I did 5 years from '88-'93. I went in at 30 years old so my experience was quite different from most. Boot camp was interesting, to say the least but my CCs and I came to an understanding early on. One day, my senior CC made the mistake of throwing an M1 Garand to the deck in front of me. ...I wouldn't even let God get away with that! All concepts of military bearing and rank went right out the window and I ended up in his face. I could've been in a huge world of crap, especially since the Division Chief was there too but it must've either instilled fear or respect in them, 'coz I wasn't penalized for it at all and I pretty much skated through the rest of boot camp. From there, it just kept gettin' better. Go Navy!
    brojohn likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links