Are you a car guy or a truck guy?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Are you a car guy or a truck guy?

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32754 times

Are you a car guy or a truck guy?

I've owned a few cars in the past. I have one now that my late wife bought. My current wife drives it, needs a relay to the AC/heater fan at the moment. Seems to be hard on that relay, second time it's gone out. It's a 2003 Toyota Echo.

But, I've always owned either trucks or vans. The vans were when I was racing motorcycles. I'd stay at the hotel Chevy. Saved me money. My trucks started out with a 64 Chevy heavy half. That was a beast, body panels were nearly bullet reorsistant. It had six lugged split rim wheels.

My second truck was a 76 Toyota that died an early death from corrosion. Shouldn't have driven it to work in a chemical plant. My third was my favorite, a 82 4x4 Toyota. Man, that thing was a go anywhere monster of a hunting truck. The light weight really helped it in the mud and off road. I loved that thing, but the rust monster got to it, too, and at the time I couldn't keep up with the rust. It lived life outside 100 yards from Lavaca bay. The salt air ain't good on body work.

I had an old Ford van for about a year and got rid of it. I was driving a Chevy conversion van for a while, had it when I moved here. Then, it was getting long in the tooth, I replaced it with a 2013 Chevy standard cab 8 ft bed. Love that thing even though I had to rebuild the tranny after 5 years. It's got 120K on the clock now, so it has some years left in it.

I recently bought a 4x4 Ford F150 extended cab, kinda beat up a might, but it was only $3500. I fixed a few things on it and now it's a dependable vehicle. Haven't tried it off road, but suspect it'll be a good truck. Whether it'll be as good as my old Toyota 4x4 remains to be seen. That's a tall bar to reach.

Anyway, I just see little utility in a CAR. Back in my youth, cars were more expensive than trucks, believe it or not. Everyone drove cars. I've owned a few, but I just prefer trucks. Can't carry an ATV or a sheet of plyboard with a car, and I have this thing about four wheel drive. I never understood why anyone would buy a CAR except for commuting. My wife commuted with the Echo and that thing got 40 MPG which, yeah, I can understand.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46062 times
    I'm a "tweener" and drive a Durango. In the past had a standard Yukon Denali '05...Jeep Grand Cherokee '98. Never owned a pickup but dream of buying a vintage model. 4 x 8 sheets get tied to a roof rack, although the current ride doesn't have one of those either. I'm very close to the point of hiring people to toss 4 x 8 sheets around as my DIY days come to a close.
    bobbojama and ShtnBlanks.22 like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    6475 times
    SUV guy. Had a few Ford Explorers but am now driving an Edge Limited that I bought a year or so ago. Prior to that I drove cars. Never had a truck but will prolly get one when I retire and get some property.
    Czechbikr and bobbojama like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1306 times
    I am a car guy. The list 2005 Mustang GT built for racing, totaled 2009. 2006 Mustang GT. Sold 2012 for 2003 Cobra SVT. 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible. Daily for me and the Wife, 2004 dodge Durango for wife and kids, 2008 Grand Prix GXP (these where 2012 to 2013) traded the GXP for a 2015 Chrysler 200 brand new (Low point in my life), that car had an accident. Bought a 2003 Silverado with the 5.3, built and cammed for drag racing. Sold that bought a 2017 Mustang GT. (that's my baby, I own and working on building that one up) I am debating on picking up a 2000 GT with some minor modifications on it tomorrow.
    bobbojama likes this.
    Speed doesn't kill you. It's the sudden stop. That's what gets you.

Member #
    Liked
    36085 times
    Definitely a truck guy. I grew up in trucks, everything from 10-ton dumps to tractor-trailers so it's about all I've ever known. My POVs have always been pickups, save for 1 van (for racing) and 1 Dodge Ramcharger. I do have an '84 Pontiac Parisienne, which is big enough I can mostly tolerate it but I never drove it much and haven't for several years. Cars drive me nuts, I feel like I'm sitting on the road in 'em and having to constantly countersteer those front wheel drives to keep 'em going straight makes my arm tired.
    CaptainMorgan and bobbojama like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I am a truck guy and couldn't imagine not owning one, it's amazing how often a truck comes in handy for a lot of every day things. If I need something I just go get it and not have to worry about delivery times and days scheduling. One of the best parts of my truck is the wife will not drive it, she refuses because she won't use her mirrors and has a hard time backing up a small car let alone a truck. As far as truck builders I'm at the point where it doesn't matter because I have owned all the brands at least a couple of times and they all have problems with either transmission, engine, front suspension or electronics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    bobbojama likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32754 times
    All of my racing (racing days are over) were done on motorcycles as it's more affordable. I've never been a rich guy and I got addicted to motorcycles early on. My preference in motorcycles were GP bikes, built for road racing, and I preferred the little stuff that handled super. I've owned 140 mph 125cc GP racers and 170 mph 250cc GP racers, but all of that is out of my system, now. Of course, you cannot ride a GP bike on the street. The power band is not compatible with stop and go. Gotta slip the dry clutch up to 50 mph. Once it hits the power band, hope you're prepared to paint the sky with the front wheel, though. These bikes took frequent top end rebuilds, about after every other race weekend, along with other maintenance. I mean, a 125cc engine made about 45 hp. Scale that up to 5.3 liters and you're looking at, at least I calculate, over 1800 horsepower. That sort of specific horsepower per liter doesn't come without maintenance.

I used trucks and vans to get to the track. I put special built factory race bikes ON the track. Ah, fun times, long gone now.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    35619 times
    I lean pickup, but I am considering adding a Jeep as well to the mix.
    bobbojama and Brian845 like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Motorcycles and trucks trip my trigger.
    Got into motorcycles when I was 16
    First was a Can-am 175 dirt bike. Next was a 1979 Kawasaki KLX 250 then for a while I did not need to buy dirt bikes as they were supplied by my sponsors. Then one day I walked into the local Suzuki/Kawasaki shop and fell head over heels for the 1983 GS1100ESD and GS1100ED they had sitting on the showroom floor. Bought a red E model and the pearl white and blue ESD right there.
    First 4 wheeler was a 1967 Plymouth Valiant. I hated everything about that car except the stereo, that was a ten speaker Blaupunkt Berlin. I put that in.
    1977 Ford ranchero GT. That could play with then current Corvettes. Bought that so used it forgot how many people owned it.
    1983 plain Jane ford F150 300 6 shot manual trans. Am fm radio.
    1993 F150 super cab Air conditioning! AM FM radio. First vehicle with an automatic transmission.
    1999 Ford super duty 7.3L powerstroke. AM FM CD player super cab 4x4 a/c auto long bed.
    1999 same thing as above but short bed.
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500 fully loaded and I had a Cummins 5.9L diesel in it. Put a new stereo in it so I could watch movies.i guess I'm a truck guy.

Now one of the Grey Guardians.
    CaptainMorgan and bobbojama like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46062 times
    One thing I did learn about trucks from my friends who had them is that people are always asking to borrow them. The issue then, for me, since I am not all that comfortable with letting people drive my vehicles is that I would end up having to go with.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links