Do you like Windows 10 - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do you like Windows 10

Member #
    Liked
    5926 times
    That happened to me too when I upgraded a couple years ago, just had to switch the default printer since all the main settings get defaulted during the upgrade. Only thing retained were my screen size settings, but I still had to update the actual drivers again because Windows installed it's own base drivers.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    36834 times
    I like W10. I do must of my work in Linux, but I am running 2 W10 machines. First iteration I've liked since W95.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

Member #
    Liked
    1569 times
    I have an issue with Windows 10. I have a 7 year old laptop that upgraded from Windows 7 (which I loved) to Windows 10 with no problem.
    I also have 12 year old "Superior" desktop that was top of the line when I got it in 2007, and came with Windows XP. Superior is a small computer store in SLC that uses only the best components.
    Two years ago, before I upgraded my old Superior computer to Windows 10, I took it to the local Microsoft store where they tested and confirmed that it could handle Windows 10.
    I bought a second harddrive, made it the master and loaded Windows 10 on it. I made the older harddrive the slave, and kept Windows XP on it to run any old programs that I still had. Now when I start my desktop it automatically asks if I want to run Windows 10, or an "Older version of Windows". This is great, I thought; but then problems started to arise.
    When I run Windows 10 everything works fine for about an hour; then without warning my computer goes black. It's like I pulled the plug. After a second or two the computer comes on and goes through the entire startup sequence again, and I lose everything that I hadn't saved. It works again for a while (30-60 minutes), then bang; it does it again.
    When I run Windows XP, it never has this abrupt power cut.
    I recently replaced the Power Supply Unit, but that did not fix the problem.
    A computer friend told me to update the BIOS on my motherboard, so that's my next step.
    If that doesn't fix it, it must be something in Windows 10 that's causing the problem.
    Anybody else having this problem?
    Last edited by 777Driver; 01-04-2020 at 10:09 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2448 times
    Chaos must be the default mode of everything, but still, I DO manage to use windows 10.

back in '14, my faithful old Toshiba laptop, my "truck computer" (W-7) went belly-up, sparkling and snarling from deep inside, and smoking like a belligerant teenager. I stopped at the nearest mall and WalMart had a nice Gateway in my price-range, loaded with Windows 8. Shortly after getting home, my computer-genius friend ( EVERYBODY should have oe or two of these in their life) dumped 8, partitioned and wiped the HD, and did a clean install of W-10, with Classic Shell. I use LibreOffice for all my spreadsheet, word processor,etc applications that MS Office is too much $$$ for . It also handles Gimp and Inkscape well.

Today, my drag-around computer is an old, reliable Dell laptop dual-boot, Linux and W-10 + Classic Shell. Mrs Flash is still using a great Delll tower with W-7 - she doesn't do more than surf and You-tube and a few interactive games with other of her firends.

So yes, W-10 works,
    jwc007 likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    24301 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I found out some nonsense about Win10 today. I tried to print something for the first time since going to 10 from 7, and the computer wouldn't send the print job to the printer. It wanted to send it to something called Onenote, which became the default browser. I looked it up online and found out microsoft wants you to send your print job online to them! Automatically changes the print setting by default! So now I have to go to the control panel and fix a problem that never should've happened in the first place!
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    It is been 6 months since i upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7,i am using Windows 10,and i even love Windows 7,but i don't want to risk on Windows 7,it lost Microsoft's support as well as its protection.

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    I would recommend to anyone that's interviewing for a job if asked about computers to never say "I hate windows 10". It automatically tells them you're either not very intelligent or you're so set in your ways that you're unwilling to change. Something a company needs neither of.
    Wino and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    16609 times
    I'm still getting security patches from Microsoft for 7.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    4464 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook49 View Post
    I would recommend to anyone that's interviewing for a job if asked about computers to never say "I hate windows 10". It automatically tells them you're either not very intelligent or you're so set in your ways that you're unwilling to change. Something a company needs neither of.
    Funny, I'm a career software developer and I've never worked with anyone who doesn't "hate" windows since 3.0 (except maybe malicious hackers who enjoy exploiting holes). I'd say if someone hates windows, they're being honest, not lacking intelligence. I don't fault Microsoft for making a big buck, but it is certainly not a stable operating system. At least back in the old days, if you found a stable configuration you could stick with it. Now, they know better than you what your needs are, and force updates on you that, at the worst possible moment, render your system unusable when it was working just fine minutes before. When I interview a prospective new hire, I'd chuckle if he said he hates Windows--who doesn't?
    whichfinger likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25914 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whichfinger View Post
    I'm still getting security patches from Microsoft for 7.
    Yes, so am I. Kind of surprised me.
    I am one of those that will continue with 7 until my computer dies.
    Wife's computer has 10 and we hate it. It would make a good target.
    whichfinger likes this.
    There are only two options as I see it.
    Either I'm right, or there is a sinister
    conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links