Book thread - surprised there's no sticky.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Book thread - surprised there's no sticky....

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    I just finished Never Fear Anything by Robert Terkla, he is an ex Army sniper. The book is good, it is not your standard book of war stories from Afghanistan it's got more of a personal feel about it. He also does quite a few hunting and fishing videos on YouTube under the name Lunkers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    7573 times
    I like Nelson DeMille, David Baldacci, Robert Ludlum got me started on the genre in the early 90's. I was newly arrived at my permanent duty station and desperate for something to read. Not a lot of book stores in West Louisiana, found "the Road to Omaha" in a gas station.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    I enjoy a whodunit that keeps you trying to figure out who the villain is. The cop/PI stuff Jack Reacher and Clive Cussler kind of action where the good guy wins in the end. With about every second book a classic or literature book. Recently finished several books (some fact and some fiction) on the resistance to Nazi occupation in Norway, Poland and Italy. Currently reading a James Bond 007 novel by Jeffery Deaver. I recommend James Mitcher for the art of story telling.
    Thanks for starting this thread I will read some of the books and authors suggested.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Just finished " Ghosts of Eden Park". A real-life distillation of prohibition, a bootlegger who never ever drank a drop of alcohol, names and places, how J. Edgar Hoover worked before the FBI was invented. Highly recommended
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7664 times
    For SciFi fans, two recommendation - Dan Simmons "Hyperion Canticle" is mind-bendingly awesome; everyone has an emplant to connect them to the "internet", gateways that leverage controlled singularities that allow people (the very rich, primarily) to have a house that spans multiple planets (each room could be located somewhere else seamlessly), a river that spans multiple planets...not to mention great character development and an enthralling story - another one that they are threatening to turn into a movie which could be a good or very bad thing. Also Christopher Hinz "Paratwa" trilogy was a very interesting futuristic post-apocalyptic yarn.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    3984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    For SciFi fans, two recommendation - Dan Simmons "Hyperion Canticle" is mind-bendingly awesome; everyone has an emplant to connect them to the "internet", gateways that leverage controlled singularities that allow people (the very rich, primarily) to have a house that spans multiple planets (each room could be located somewhere else seamlessly), a river that spans multiple planets...not to mention great character development and an enthralling story - another one that they are threatening to turn into a movie which could be a good or very bad thing. Also Christopher Hinz "Paratwa" trilogy was a very interesting futuristic post-apocalyptic yarn.
    Dan Simmons is a master of the craft and I don't think he gets half the recognition he deserves. I especially liked the bathroom in our mad poets house.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    4061 times
    Marine Sniper is a good one. The story of Carlos Hathcock.
    Desperado and rhugg like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links