Book thread - surprised there's no sticky.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Book thread - surprised there's no sticky....

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2988 times
    He ain't that old, he once yelled at Jules Verne to get off his yard, and kicked over H.G.'s time machine.

Maloy

Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    ...I thought you were so old you couldn't read the book......you hadda' wait 'til they made it into a cave painting.
    kschilk, Yissnakk and darbo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    526 times
    Went thru Clancy until I got to the ghost writers. I often found I needed a bookmark with the characters explained.

Working thru the classics, I highly recommend The Count of Monte Cristo. Uncle Tom's Cabin is one of the few books that has brought a tear to my eye. A River Runs Thru It is a short story and it is clearer in the book that we can't help those we want to help the most. The Three Musketeers series is light and fun. 90% thru War and Peace. It is not bad, a good combination of history and opinion with some fiction thrown in. It hasn't been as hard a read as I expected. I should have gotten a version where the French was translated.

For gunowners, self protection people and military I highly recommend a book by Dave Grossman called "On Killing". It is a combination of history and psychology with recommendations regarding our current era. It starts a history prior to the revolutionary war.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

Member #
    Liked
    22537 times
    I'm reading Rules for Radicals... by Saul Alinsky.

Pretty interesting.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Anything Clive Cussler and crew write. Specially the "Oregon Files" series.

Now one of the Grey Guardians.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7669 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    I'm reading Rules for Radicals... by Saul Alinsky.

Pretty interesting.

So AOC looking good to ya?

glenwolde likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7669 times
    Other favorite authors of mine are John Conroe, William D. Arand, Robert Heinlein, Jim Butcher and Nathan Lowell; many more as well, but something I find interesting is the number of authors I used to like, then gained maturity and lost interest in - Stephen King is one of those. Not sure why, but just kind of got tired of the gloom and doom with every triumph seasoned with tragedy and all that (but do still really enjoy the first half of "The Stand".

Conroe and Arand have spoiled me though, very prolific authors, each publishing 4-8 books per year; makes the wait on these guys that crank out a book every other year or so painful to wait for!
    jimb1972 likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    22537 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post

So AOC looking good to ya?

No. There's actually not any ideology in the book (so far at least). It's a blueprint for effecting radical change and would work for any ideology...right or left.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    3985 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    I have been a science fiction fan since I was 10.
    Anything by John Scalzi, especially 'Old Man's War'.
    Now that was a fun read and soon to be a movie. I recommend reading the next one which is Ghost Brigade I believe as well.

As for what I'm currently reading, gun related I am halfway through Deadly Force by Massad Ayoob. Next on deck is Living with Guns: A Liberals case for the Second Amendment by Craig Whitney.

As for non gun related reading, I'm reading Infinite by Jeremy Robinson. A SciFi thriller that takes the idea of living in a simulation to some very interesting places.
    Rickenbacher39 and Yissnakk like this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    22710 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Ape View Post
    Now that was a fun read and soon to be a movie. I recommend reading the next one which is Ghost Brigade I believe as well.
    Yes..........I've read all of the 'Old Man's War' series and most of his other novels.
    He has a couple of new ones out that I haven't read yet.
    He has a style of writing that I really appreciate. Not much wasted space and a sense of humor also.

I did not know it was going to be a movie.
    If they don't screw it up with CGI it might be interesting.
    It was a fun book to read.
    Zen Ape likes this.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    4061 times
    I'm not reading right now. After the holidays are over, I'll start again. I've been reading 15-20 books each year since about 2012.

Read a bunch of post-apocalyptic novels. To me, they are pretty creative and it's interesting to see what the authors think about the collapse of the world as we know it.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links