The Right to eat waffles, A look into 2A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Right to eat waffles, A look into 2A

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Member #
    25857
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S. Fort Worth TX
    Posts
    13,905
    Liked
    22094 times

    The Right to eat waffles, A look into 2A

    Name:  Waffles_12104355_s.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  620.5 KB

    I saw this in another forum and it lays out the wording of the second amendment perfectly


    A well balanced breakfast, being necessary for a healthy lifestyle, the right of the people to eat waffles shall not be infringed.

    Whose right is it to eat waffles? The well balanced breakfast (well regulated militia)? That makes no sense.

    Does this mean that people can only eat waffles for breakfast? In no way does the sentence state that, and claiming that it does is a stretch by the cereal crowd trying to eliminate the competition of waffles.

    The sentence means, very simply when translated to modern vernacular: people have the right to eat waffles whenever they want, and a well balanced breakfast is one reason for this right. Not the only reason.

    Getting back into the second, the bit about the well regulated militia is an Interjection, it is providing an example. This can be demonstrated by omitting it from the sentence: when omitted, the sentence both continues to make sense and the meaning hasn't changed.

    Original:

    A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

    Omit free state:

    A well regulated militia, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. This doesn't make a lot of sense.

    Omit right of the people:

    A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, shall not be infringed. This makes no sense.

    Omit shall not be infringed:

    A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Again, makes no sense.

    Omit militia:

    Being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. This still makes sense and the meaning hasn't changed.

    Omit militia and free state:

    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. This still makes sense and the meaning hasn't changed.

    What about the commas? In colonial times, it was common to separate the subject and predicate by a comma. The river behind my horse, flows north. This would be an accepted sentence in those times.

    So let's break it down some more. All proper sentences have a subject (actor) and a predicate (action). "I ran. " is a proper sentence, where I is the subject and ran is the predicate. Sentences also contain various other modifiers, clarifiers, and qualifiers. In the second, the subject is the right, specifically the right to keep and bear arms by the people. The predicate is shall nor be infringed. The bits about a well regulated militia and free state are an independent clause providing an example, not a qualifier. It can be omitted without affecting the meaning of the sentence, and can be written on its own.

    If you take in other contemporary writings, it is clear what the intent was.

    I don't recall the exact reference, but when asked about putting cannons on ships to combat pirates, a founder responded that the second amendment covered that. Contemporary siege engines were allowed to be owned by the people.

    There was also writing about how a native American tribe was more successful in battle because they were "better regulated".

    The meanings of words change over time, so you cannot always place modern usage on contemporary writing. Look at the word gay. It used to mean happy, but in modern times it is taken to mean homosexual. If we applied this to the song deck the halls: don we now our gay apparel has a completely different meaning from when it was written.

    The argument that there were only muskets back then falls flat as well. Cannons with grape shot, repeating rifles, and the like were all in existence back then, although not necessarily common. So enjoy your waffles for your healthy lifestyle because it's your RIGHT.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Member #
    75855
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    Name:  Waffles_12104355_s.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  620.5 KB

    I saw this in another forum and it lays out the wording of the second amendment perfectly


    A well balanced breakfast, being necessary for a healthy lifestyle, the right of the people to eat waffles shall not be infringed.

    Whose right is it to eat waffles? The well balanced breakfast (well regulated militia)? That makes no sense.

    Does this mean that people can only eat waffles for breakfast? In no way does the sentence state that, and claiming that it does is a stretch by the cereal crowd trying to eliminate the competition of waffles.

    The sentence means, very simply when translated to modern vernacular: people have the right to eat waffles whenever they want, and a well balanced breakfast is one reason for this right. Not the only reason.

    Getting back into the second, the bit about the well regulated militia is an Interjection, it is providing an example. This can be demonstrated by omitting it from the sentence: when omitted, the sentence both continues to make sense and the meaning hasn't changed.

    Original:

    A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

    Omit free state:

    A well regulated militia, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. This doesn't make a lot of sense.

    Omit right of the people:

    A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, shall not be infringed. This makes no sense.

    Omit shall not be infringed:

    A well regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Again, makes no sense.

    Omit militia:

    Being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. This still makes sense and the meaning hasn't changed.

    Omit militia and free state:

    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. This still makes sense and the meaning hasn't changed.

    What about the commas? In colonial times, it was common to separate the subject and predicate by a comma. The river behind my horse, flows north. This would be an accepted sentence in those times.

    So let's break it down some more. All proper sentences have a subject (actor) and a predicate (action). "I ran. " is a proper sentence, where I is the subject and ran is the predicate. Sentences also contain various other modifiers, clarifiers, and qualifiers. In the second, the subject is the right, specifically the right to keep and bear arms by the people. The predicate is shall nor be infringed. The bits about a well regulated militia and free state are an independent clause providing an example, not a qualifier. It can be omitted without affecting the meaning of the sentence, and can be written on its own.

    If you take in other contemporary writings, it is clear what the intent was.

    I don't recall the exact reference, but when asked about putting cannons on ships to combat pirates, a founder responded that the second amendment covered that. Contemporary siege engines were allowed to be owned by the people.

    There was also writing about how a native American tribe was more successful in battle because they were "better regulated".

    The meanings of words change over time, so you cannot always place modern usage on contemporary writing. Look at the word gay. It used to mean happy, but in modern times it is taken to mean homosexual. If we applied this to the song deck the halls: don we now our gay apparel has a completely different meaning from when it was written.

    The argument that there were only muskets back then falls flat as well. Cannons with grape shot, repeating rifles, and the like were all in existence back then, although not necessarily common. So enjoy your waffles for your healthy lifestyle because it's your RIGHT.
    Bro, don't mess with my right to eat cereal, instead of waffles......

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yissnakk likes this.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    73271
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,372
    Liked
    2798 times
    How about this proposed Constitutional Amendment:

    Common sense shall not be applied to any situation which could possibly indicate the lowly citizen should ever be armed.
    Yissnakk likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Member #
    25857
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    S. Fort Worth TX
    Posts
    13,905
    Liked
    22094 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    How about this proposed Constitutional Amendment:

    Common sense shall not be applied to any situation which could possibly indicate the lowly citizen should ever be armed.
    I get it, you're not a waffle person and that's ok, you don't have to be.
    DeltaBravoKS, Yissnakk and ICUKev like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    38252
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    North central Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,808
    Liked
    2230 times
    I like waffles!
    Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the snake, The snake didn't have a leg to stand on.

    Opportunity may knock ounce, but temptation leans on the doorbell.

  7. #6
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    73271
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,372
    Liked
    2798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I get it, you're not a waffle person and that's ok, you don't have to be.
    I do like waffles, but I also like syrupy sarcasm!
    ICUKev and Flash60601 like this.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    74079
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    MS Gulf Coast
    Posts
    823
    Liked
    1070 times
    Give me maple syrup or give me death. 💀

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    20118
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,639
    Liked
    7723 times
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

    Gun Shui adviser

    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

    Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    4401
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mid-South
    Posts
    3,312
    Liked
    4171 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I get it, you're not a waffle person and that's ok, you don't have to be.
    Leaves more waffles for us!!!
    https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/si...gpic4401_1.gif
    "Humans more important than hardware."

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    36191
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,915
    Liked
    3322 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    I get it, you're not a waffle person and that's ok, you don't have to be.
    And that's what I like about the 2nd amendment of Breakfast. Your freedom to choose what to eat! You see, I didn't grow up with these freedoms! I grew up in a dictatorship. You ate what mamma made and that's that!
    Flash60601 and Peacemakr40 like this.
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •