Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CFB Thread . . . . just Because

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20895 times

CFB Thread . . . . just Because

Ok, no one was more snickerdoodled and surprised by the CFB Ranking last weekend than me. I easily agree with LSU #1, OSU #2, Clemson #3 But . . . .UGA #4over Bama #5? Get the smelling salts (or just hold my socks under my nose) Ga above Bama? In modern day playoff era NCAA?

Dont get me wrong; I’m a UGA grad/alum. I was in New Orleans when UGA took the NC Trophy over Notre Dame and loved every minute of it. But in modern days when the SEC seems to dominate playoff systems - getting into the games - not necessarily winning (Bama, Clemson, etc) UGA somehow finds itself at the top of a lot of polls. The folks who put them there must not actually watch the games. Take last weekend’s victory over Mizzou - it was like they accidentally won. A lot of plays didn’t go the way they drew ‘em up but gained yards and points. And Mizzou shot themselves in the foot all day long. That game was easier to watch after watching LSU take down Bama. And I love to watch well played football.

So Dawgs! Bunker down and listen up. You are gonna have to play your hearts out tomorrow to keep it interesting. Auburn is a great team but have proven they can be beat - as have we.

I predict UGA by less than a touchdown.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20895 times
    And along these lines let me bring up an interesting point. Back up quarterbacks. Everyone remember when Chris Fields was Jake Fromm’s backup? He got in maybe 3 plays a game for token downs. He was always restricted to the scripted play. And his downs were usually running downs as they were unsure of his arm talent. What a mistake that was . He transferred to Ohio State and has brought them unbeaten to the top 4 for CFP. SHows what can happen when you give a player a legitimate shot at running a team freestyle. Certainly hope Kirby Smart remember his weaknesses - if any exist - as they will have to cross paths on the field.

Ditto the above regarding Jalen Hurts. He sputtered finding his rhythm at Bama but I attribute that to the schizophrenic/dual personality Saban. He couldn’t decide on a starter and campaigned for Tua to transfer to Bama while Hurts was still starting. And I don’t think Saban ever allowed him to stretch his wings and freestyle a bit. So . ..... Hurts transfers to Oklahoma and, the rest, they say, is history. He lit OU on fire using his brand of run and shoot - very much like his predecessors Mayfield and Murray. They tripped over a slick piece of Kansas State bird poo to kill their undefeated season but ain’t it amazing how the quarterbacks in the thick of the top 6 share so much history. Oh, and more irony? Joe Burrow transferred to LSU opening the spot for Chris Fields.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 11-15-2019 at 06:31 PM.

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    7716 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Ok, no one was more snickerdoodled and surprised by the CFB Ranking last weekend than me. I easily agree with LSU #1, OSU #2, Clemson #3 But . . . .UGA #4over Bama #5? Get the smelling salts (or just hold my socks under my nose) Ga above Bama? In modern day playoff era NCAA?

Dont get me wrong; I’m a UGA grad/alum. I was in New Orleans when UGA took the NC Trophy over Notre Dame and loved every minute of it. But in modern days when the SEC seems to dominate playoff systems - getting into the games - not necessarily winning (Bama, Clemson, etc) UGA somehow finds itself at the top of a lot of polls. The folks who put them there must not actually watch the games. Take last weekend’s victory over Mizzou - it was like they accidentally won. A lot of plays didn’t go the way they drew ‘em up but gained yards and points. And Mizzou shot themselves in the foot all day long. That game was easier to watch after watching LSU take down Bama. And I love to watch well played football.

So Dawgs! Bunker down and listen up. You are gonna have to play your hearts out tomorrow to keep it interesting. Auburn is a great team but have proven they can be beat - as have we.

I predict UGA by less than a touchdown.
    I've got no argument with Bama being 5 and UGA being 4.

(And don't forget, I'm an Auburn fan).

Bama had to drop after the loss to LSU and, let's face it, that was a fairly ugly loss even if the scoreboard only showed a 5 point difference at the end.

(Bama fans take note- they only beat us by 3 in what was a fairly heads up ball game.)

Don't know about OSU being 2, though. Who have they played that was any good? They really don't have a realy opponent until they play Pen State.

Clemson, at 3, is in the same boat- and they've shown chinks in their armor with tough games against unranked UNC and a flailing A&M. As reigning champion, they do get a bit of a pass with the pollsters- whether they deserve it or not.

My point is, it's the middle of November and we have no idea if either one is as good as their stats claim.

I really think that the "traditional powerhouses" get benefit of the doubt when the pollsters start working. They are 'supposed' to be in the mix because they 'always' have been and that's enough to earn them a spot. Why do you think USC and ND are always ranked high preseason before falling to the wayside a few weeks into the season? (You can throw Michigan in there, too, even if Harbaugh is an overrated joke and a choker).

When you play Helen Keller Tech and the St Jude School for Wayward Girls, it's not that hard to pad your 'margin of victory'. That's why I think margin of victory is a joke.

Wanna prove how good you are? Then play somebody good instead of a bunch of homecoming teams.

If your conference is overrated and weak (cough-PAC 12-cough), then step up out of conference. Oregon- who I despise- is a good example of doing it that way. They at least opened with a mid level SEC West team this year (and LOST).
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2790 times
    Don't worry about Alabama...they'll be in, even if they forfeit the rest of the season.

As far as OSU being number 2...GO POKES!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20895 times
    Well, I got an investment in Auburn, too. Our oldest son graduated from there. I’ll pull for ‘em unless they’re playing UGA or LSU. The son is married to an LSU gal and they live in Baton Rouge. My other 2 sons as well as the wife and I are all Ga grads. Saturday’s get exciting around our household during CFB season.

I just got a natural weak heart with UGA. Too many times I’ve seen them dissolve and mostly play down to the level of an inferior opponent. They had Bama beat in the SEC championship 4-5 years ago and just gave outta gas. I hope Kirby lets Jake freestyle this weekend. Than ground game they’ve tried to beat out last 2 weeks ain’t gettin it done. He’s got as good a receiving corps as UGA’s had in a while and Herrion and White can both catch wheel routes outta the backfield. Tom Brady has won rings using swing passes out of the backfield and no one seems to notice - that option is open 90% of the time he needs it and it gains yards. Fromm has a habit of going for slants over the middle but without picking up significant yardage. No slant should ever be thrown < 8 yards and jet sweeps need to make a comeback. Huh.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    I've got no argument with Bama being 5 and UGA being 4.

(And don't forget, I'm an Auburn fan).

Bama had to drop after the loss to LSU and, let's face it, that was a fairly ugly loss even if the scoreboard only showed a 5 point difference at the end.

(Bama fans take note- they only beat us by 3 in what was a fairly heads up ball game.)

Don't know about OSU being 2, though. Who have they played that was any good?They really don't have a realy opponent until they play Pen State.

Clemson, at 3, is in the same boat- and they've shown chinks in their armor with tough games against unranked UNC and a flailing A&M. As reigning champion, they do get a bit of a pass with the pollsters- whether they deserve it or not.

My point is, it's the middle of November and we have no idea if either one is as good as their stats claim.

I really think that the "traditional powerhouses" get benefit of the doubt when the pollsters start working. They are 'supposed' to be in the mix because they 'always' have been and that's enough to earn them a spot. Why do you think USC and ND are always ranked high preseason before falling to the wayside a few weeks into the season? (You can throw Michigan in there, too, even if Harbaugh is an overrated joke and a choker).

When you play Helen Keller Tech and the St Jude School for Wayward Girls, it's not that hard to pad your 'margin of victory'. That's why I think margin of victory is a joke.

Wanna prove how good you are? Then play somebody good instead of a bunch of homecoming teams.

If your conference is overrated and weak (cough-PAC 12-cough), then step up out of conference. Oregon- who I despise- is a good example of doing it that way. They at least opened with a mid level SEC West team this year (and LOST).
    Here is their 2019 schedule. They played, and beat, a lot of Big 10 teams; they still have to face Penn State.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    7716 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Here is their 2019 schedule. They played, and beat, a lot of Big 10 teams; they still have to face Penn State.
    That's 2 ranked opponents so far and none in the Top 10.

LSU has played 4 top 10 teams so far.

Alabama has only played 1 and has a grand total of 2 scheduled.

Clemson has played all of 1 and that's all they have scheduled- AND they squeaked by unranked UNC by a single point in a low scoring game.

UGA has already played 2 Top 10 teams and plays another ranked team today.

So, out of the top 5, we know what LSU is made of and have at least an idea of what UGA can do. The other 3 are ranked based on guesses from stats they've ran up playing weaker opponents.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2227 times
    My wife is a rabid Tennesee fan so we're not too worried about the rankings.

I will admit though that watching a 72-year old woman sitting on the floor, bouncing up and down, screaming her head off while dressed in orange from head to toe amuses my little Scottish heart. If she regresses any further I'm going to be back to changing diapers and mixing formula.

Member #
    Liked
    7716 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ETF View Post
    My wife is a rabid Tennesee fan so we're not too worried about the rankings.

I will admit though that watching a 72-year old woman sitting on the floor, bouncing up and down, screaming her head off while dressed in orange from head to toe amuses my little Scottish heart. If she regresses any further I'm going to be back to changing diapers and mixing formula.
    UT still plays football?

You sure?

I thought that they took up fooseball instead after Fulmer stepped down as head coach.

Gun Shui adviser

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31671 times
    I heard somebody lay it out on the radio this week, the Baylor Bears are undefeated and in NCAA history, other like teams have been ranked no lower than 8th if they had Baylor's record, yet they are ranked 13th. That's a huge slap in the face, and although I don't watch college ball much, I sure hope Baylor beats Oklahoma this weekend, if for no other reason than to give the ranking powers a huge headache.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links