Anyone else with the misfortune of having Windows 10?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Anyone else with the misfortune of having Windows 10?

Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37142 times

Anyone else with the misfortune of having Windows 10?

My computer has been trying to update Windows 10 since some time in May....yeah, 7 months. At first I just clicked on "Update" and technology take it's course....once. I would leave the computer running and go to bed, expecting the upgrade to be done when I woke up. I'd wake up 8 or 9 hours later (I'm retired) and the upgrade would be 65% complete.

Not wanting to take any chances, I'd head on out to the country club for 18 holes of golf and a few drinks....another 5+ hours, then come back and check my computer. It would still be at 65% complete IF it hadn't locked up. I'd leave it and take my wife out for lunch and maybe grocery shopping....another two hours. By that time, the computer was locked up tighter than Ft Knox with only a faintly lit screen...not the blue screen of death, a lighter blue but still everything was locked up....no mouse, no keyboard, no escape, no ctl/alt/del....nada.

Then it got to the point that it would restart the computer on it's own if I wasn't sitting here too tell it to wait an hour.

The longest I ever let it run was about 17 or 18 hours, then had to kill the power to shut it down. Would restart it and it might continue the upgrade and go from 65% to 85% in just a few minutes, then lock up again st 85% and I'd have to kill power to restart it. Then it would tell me it was restoring everything back to where it had been. I even went in and disabled the Windows 10 update from this page: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-r...ly-update.html but it restarts itself after a few days and I'd be right back where I was before.

A few minutes ago I went into YouTube to look for some music to post and my entire 5 year's library, favorites, play later, and saved videos are gone.

Anyone have a suggestion for something I can try.
    Last edited by CWB; 11-08-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    darbo and 777Driver like this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    1582 times
    I have Win10 installed on a cheap tablet/laptop combo. It's OK. I had a couple of updating issues too - the problem was insufficient storage space. The tablet/laptop only came with 32Gb of SSD storage. So I added a 32Gb microSD card for additional storage and moved a bunch of stuff from the main SSD onto the microSD and freed up some space. Next time it tried to update it completed successfully.
    Not sure if that is related to your issue or not, but that's what mine was.

Member #
    Liked
    19660 times
    A couple months back I started a thread about Win10. I think it's safe to say a majority of the posts were not favorable. My first Win version was 3.11. Win 10 sucks in comparison.

I have an older laptop just waiting for me to try some form of Linux but I get lazy and don't work on it and more importantly I'm chicken.
    taurustoter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    37142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BC605 View Post
    I have Win10 installed on a cheap tablet/laptop combo. It's OK. I had a couple of updating issues too - the problem was insufficient storage space. The tablet/laptop only came with 32Gb of SSD storage. So I added a 32Gb microSD card for additional storage and moved a bunch of stuff from the main SSD onto the microSD and freed up some space. Next time it tried to update it completed successfully.
    Not sure if that is related to your issue or not, but that's what mine was.
    As far as storage, I have a 765 Gig hard drive and only use 160 Gig, so I'm only using about 20% if it. When this started, I went in and uninstalled a bunch of high graphics games I've had on for years, just to make sure I had all the room I need, then I defragged the drive.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    37142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    A couple months back I started a thread about Win10. I think it's safe to say a majority of the posts were not favorable. My first Win version was 3.11. Win 10 sucks in comparison.

I have an older laptop just waiting for me to try some form of Linux but I get lazy and don't work on it and more importantly I'm chicken.
    I started with 3.1 and the variation Windows for Workgroups, then bought 95 the first day it was in stores, then 98, 2000, then Windows 7. 10 has alsways worked well but this has me stumped.
    μολὼν λαβέ

Member #
    Liked
    5326 times
    I'm still on Win7SP1 and will try to remain so as long as is feasible. I grudgingly accept that the switch is inevitable and at some point I will migrate to Win10. We already use Win10 at work so I have some experience with it. It sucks. But change is inevitable. Trying to navigate Win10 is hard enough but having to do so in a kitchen environment is a real PITA! Every try to print something when the keyboard is smeared with pasta sauce and clarified butter!?? And don't get me started on the printer buttons slimy with demi-glace!!! I put up a "WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE USING COMPUTER!" sign but do they listen?? Especially that new guy Caleb... he sure can put up a mean Steak Diane but the dude's a mess!!!
    darbo and DeltaBravoKS like this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    19660 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWB View Post
    I started with 3.1 and the variation Windows for Workgroups, then bought 95 the first day it was in stores, then 98, 2000, then Windows 7. 10 has alsways worked well but this has me stumped.
    I apologize for not having anything constructive to respond with in the first post.

I too had the same issue with the update not actually loading but unfortunately my horrible memory isn't going to bring back how I got it to work! Let me see if I can find that old thread, maybe I posted how I got the download to work.

Ok If found my old post. It's not great but it reminded me that I ended up on a "chat" with MS to get the 1903 update to download. Still took a long time. Then once the download was done I developed other issues that I was able to fix myself. Hopefully you get things worked out.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/l...w-10-rant.html
    Last edited by darbo; 11-09-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    22470 times
    I've had zero trouble with it. In the past I've had problems with various versions. I always felt the best solution was just a reinstall. By the time you research a fix for your problem and get it working you could have just reinstalled everything. Plus after a fix sometimes things are still a bit hinky.

The only MS Operating System I haven't used is............

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    5494 times
    I've got Window$ 10. Overall I like it pretty well, not as much as I like Linux but, pretty well.

I had the Window$ 10 update problem too. Pulled my hair out and finally read somewhere it's a driver problem.
    Machine I was trying to update was an older Gateway laptop. If I recall it was the video and there were no
    Win10 compatible drivers available for it.

Gateway runs Linux now, flawlessly.

If you're using an older machine you may just be screwed. If you don't play games, use CAD/CAM or video/photo
    editing software you can probably run Linux on it and be happy. I run Win10 because I need AutoCAD Fusion360. Wife
    needs Adobe Creative Cloud.

All the Best,
    D. White
    WoodyUSSLUCE and GreenWolf70 like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Member #
    Liked
    32017 times
    I'm now almost 100% on Windows 10. New laptop at home, new desktop at work, both with 10 from the git go.

It stinks. It was built for the convenience of Microsoft and sysadmins, with the actual users wants and needs a distant 3rd, after the other companies who used to sell a software license and now sell subscriptions, so they can get money from you every dang month. I refuse to pay for Office or Photoshop for that reason.

I've never disliked a new version of Windows as much as 10. But they don't care at all.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links