Anyone else with the misfortune of having Windows 10? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Anyone else with the misfortune of having Windows 10?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31637 times
    My Win10 service pack updated and it took quite a while, like overnight. My wife's computer had serious issues and it's been backed out, and I haven't upgraded it again yet.

I have an old desktop that I'm now running Ubuntu Linux on, trying to get savvy at that OS, at least enough to where I could support it if I had to.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    17665 times
    its better than 8, have had no issues with it
    "Let's get on our knees and pray. I don't know to whom. Is there a patron saint of ballistics?"-Adam Savage
    Its never wrong, it just hasn't been fixed right yet. -TSH

If Guns Kill People. I guess Pencils misspell words, Cars drive drunk & Spoons make people fat.....

Member #
    Liked
    5863 times
    You can try running the update in Safe Mode, sometimes it's just a driver issue preventing you from completing it. Here's an article that may help you out.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/sof...update-1326307
    CWB likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33517 times
    Windows 7 is still working well for me on my laptop. I do look in on my iPad and smartalec phone a lot. That’s my challenge. When the laptop dies, no telling what I’ll end up with.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    1148 times
    It sounds like you update got caught in a loop.
    My older desktop did that a couple times before it finally updated.
    Try it again overnight, and maybe again if that doesn't take.
    After several tries, if it still won't complete an update, I'd take it into the shop.
    Windows 10 is better than other versions, but it's different enough that it takes some getting used to.

Member #
    Liked
    3909 times
    Windows 7 will reach End of Service Support Jan. 2020... No more updates no more security patches. May well be time to move back into Linux format. Time to find a clean blank drive.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37171 times
    And now I'm getting messages from Taurus Forum that I can't view certain areas because I have zero posts. Every time I come in, I have to log in again and I went for three or four years without having to log in.

I think I'll just bite the bullet next week when the weather gets cold and maybe do a restore to earlier date or look for software on line that might help. I've got my monthly financial records up to date, so I don't really "need" my computer for anything but I sure hate the thought of losing 4 years if data. (Got ALL financial records backed up X3 on thumb drives and 'most' pictures and important music files too, so it won't be a total loss.

I had hoped that someone here might come back with, "Just click on the icon in the upper right hand corner, then click on the second option, turn it on, and that will fix everything".......silly me.
    Last edited by CWB; 11-09-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31637 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Windows 7 will reach End of Service Support Jan. 2020... No more updates no more security patches. May well be time to move back into Linux format. Time to find a clean blank drive.
    The nice thing about the Ubuntu install is, you're given the option of wiping your drive clean, or installing a dual boot. I had an old desktop with Windows 7 on it and Ubuntu just reformatted the entire drive. The ISO image installs to a DVD and it's bootable. Just set your computer to boot to the CD drive, and off you go. You can also install the image to a thumb drive and boot from the USB port.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    9094 times
    I'm still running 7. If you keep getting messages to upgrade and don't want to upgrade, google "Kill Windows 10." I'm running 10 on two laptops only because 10 came pre-installed. The pre-installed versions seem to work ok, but since they were installed at the manufacurer, there's nothing on the computer for 10 to fight with. So far, I've been through almost every version of Windows except Millenium and 8 and. 3.11 and 7 seem to be the most stable platforms.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    579 times
    I was having many of the same problems with both my wife's computers. I had solid state hard drives installed in both, and haven't had a problem since.
    BTW, both computers were running Windows 10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links