Southern drivers needed.......................... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Southern drivers needed..........................

Member #
    Liked
    34504 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark38090 View Post
    When it snowed here in 89 and all the roads froze, we sat lawn chairs out in front of the store to watch the cars bend each other. The intersection had a little hump as it turned 30 degrees to the right. It was a great day!
    In the mid '90s, I was living in VA Beach and working for a concrete company in Norfolk. We got about 3" of wet snow one Friday night and it shut everything down. I had to go into work on Saturday, despite knowing all the jobs'd be cancelled but I had to be there to get the calls. It was 21 miles from my apartment near the strip, to our plant in Norfolk and I was the only one out there. I had an '82 Grand Prix at the time with good snow tires and a trunkload of heavy tools so it was an absolute tank. I stopped in the middle of the Expressway (now I-264), where it passed the "downtown" part of VA Beach and walked over to the guide rails to look around. I was the only one making tracks in the snow anywhere, for as far as the eye could see. It was like I was the last man on Earth, it was really cool but at the same time, sorta' creepy.

It actually turned out to be one of my best days there. Everyone cancelled first thing so I got outta' there early. I spent the rest of the day driving all around Hampton Roads, taking in all the sights I'd never gotten around to or hadn't wanted to deal with the traffic, parking and crowds to see. I didn't see one car on the road all day.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    920 times
    I can remember working during some serious blizzards back when I was a cop in Michigan in the mid-late 1970's. Several times it was so bad with wind and lake-effect snowfall that the highway was closed for several days between parts of Michigan and Indiana headed to/from Chicago until the winds died down and the road crews could clear the highways. One time that took 3 days. I remember those blizzards being 1977 and 1978 if my memory hasn't failed me (again).

Several nights I was assigned with another officer to just block the west-bound lane at one of our exit ramps and run a line of about 20 flares to warn oncoming traffic that the highway was shut down because snow drifts 3 to 5 feet deep made the highway impassable. Other departments along the highway were doing the same thing so there was very little traffic but once in awhile some vehicle would get on the highway as there were just not enough officers and cars to block every entrance. We would direct them to get off at our exit and try to get back home or to a local hotel until the blizzard subsided.

One officer would run a line of flares and then come back to the car to get warm while the other officer would do the next replacement flares, which burned out quickly in the high winds. You would take turns running the flare line then getting warm for the entire shift. 50+ mph winds and near 0F temps will chill you to the bone in a hurry if you are standing out in the open for any length of time. Our dept had officers with their own 4WD vehicles and they used them to answer complaint calls and to deliver boxes and boxes of flares to the officers blocking the highway. The exit ramp we were blocking had a truck stop so we could walk up there for bathroom breaks and to get some hot coffee.

I actually enjoyed this type of assignment.....to a point. It was a break from dealing with the local criminal element (of which there were A LOT) in my area. At the end of the shift, another freshly fueled car with two oncoming shift officers would replace you and you could return to the station to gas your car and try to get home. Luckily, the guys with 4WD would take you home since a regular car would probably not make it unless you lived really close to the station. In my case they would drop me off at the nearest intersection (about 1/8 mile from my house) as my road was totally impassable with snow drifts well over waist deep and I would have to walk the rest of the way. Next night they would pick me up at the same intersection for my shift..... wash/rinse/repeat until the roads were re-opened.

Ah, at least I was in my mid-20's and recently out of the Marines which made it 'easier' to be out in that type of weather. I am 68 now and although I am really glad to have experienced Michigan blizzards during most of my life, I now in South Carolina where winters are much milder!
    kschilk and 230JHP like this.
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

Member #
    Liked
    920 times
    Ah, found a short Youtube video about one of those blizzards. Where was 'global warming' back then? LOL

kschilk and bobbojama like this.
    Scott USMC 1969-1973/BTPD 1975-1979

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22816 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldRedneck View Post
    No thanks, I'm retired now when it snows I get another cup of coffee and thank God I can stay home. Do not miss having to be on the road with idiots that can't drive on warm dry roads without running over others.
    Amen to that, brother!!
    kschilk and TheOldRedneck like this.
    Spit happens, so make the most of everyday!
    "Never give up. Never surrender." Galaxy Quest, 1999
    Happiness is always Having Enough 22lr ammo!
    Now residing in God's Country - The Black Hills of South Dakota!

Member #
    Liked
    7828 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slong115 View Post
    Ah, found a short Youtube video about one of those blizzards. Where was 'global warming' back then? LOL

Back then, we were just a few years from a new Ice Age according to the environmental Chicken Littles.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31802 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    This was the result of what is referred to in music, as a failure to maintain the proper alcohol:talent ratio for a performance. I believe this would fall into the catastrophic failure category.
    Dang, I need to start practicingl I could take that guy's job.
    kschilk likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31802 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    It's rapidly fading, as the old grandmothers are dying off and the younger generations aren't carrying on but back in the day......the food was amazing.

Well, I'm 35 miles east of Shiner, Texas, Czech/German central. There are more that still speak Czech than German, though. Go to a beer hall and you'll hear 'em singing in German. Whether they know what they're singing, hard to say. I guess it depends on how much Shiner Bock they've had that evening.
    kschilk and Czechbikr like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21291 times
    What efforts are undertaken for driving up north? Never lived up there but as a kid - long before 4WD became a thing - y dad kept chains in the trunk. Just 100 miles north than us in the plains in NE Ga used to keep separate tires they swapped out in the winter.

Ever since 4WD became a thing you’re right - most of us redneck rebels just ye-haaa as best we can in snow. Unfortunately, no one knows how to maximize 4WD effectiveness. Working my way thru college, I drove an ambulance and had to take an EVOC course (Emergence Vehicle Operator Course). Learned a lot of Pearls on how to prevent, exit, etc a skid or slide. That knowledge comes in handy with 4WD very often. I’ve gone down a steep snowy road and did it at a slant all the way while tapping brakes. Other cars areond me were sliding off right and left and I had to “miss” a few headed my way. I wasn’t foolish enough to offer to pull any of them outta their ditches. I was barely holding my own traction spot as it was. I called the fire department for them.
    kschilk likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    4332 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slong115 View Post
    I lived & worked 20 miles south of Muskegon, MI, in Port Sheldon in '78. I was working on a Power House job there when the blizzard hit and we got snowed in on the job. The equipment manager got a dozer and front end loader out on the local road and cleared a path to a restaurant/bar about 2 miles from the plant. Most of the workers at the time made it to the bar and proceeded to drink every last drop of alcohol in the place..... We were stuck there for about 24 hours.
    kschilk and slong115 like this.
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links