Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Truck advice - - QUICK, please!

Member #
    Liked
    1703 times

Truck advice - - QUICK, please!

My boy needs a pickup truck, and quick.

He has found a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500, 2WD, w/trailer package. $4500. Private party.

Problem is, 250,000 miles on chasis , - - - - and the motor (a 5.3 Vortec V-8 ) was rebuilt 150,000 ago.

The truck is decent inside, about an #7.5 or 8. A few minor cigarette burns in the upholstery, which in no way affects his intended use.

Outside is another story.

Tires will prob pass PA inspection this time around (MY inspection guy will pass them, but they will have to be replaced before a year.), and everything seems to be in working order, I think it will go inspection except for the door-sills/rocker panels which are rusted through and will have to be replaced. My body shop guy will give me a quote tomorrow.

My question: What of the engine? Any of you with experience on the GMC VORTEC engine please tell me if there are problems that I should look at, things to be suspect of, or whaddaya think of it as an engine, overall?

We looked at it today, my son seems satisfied with it as such, but the door-sills/rocker panels replacement/repair will have to modify asking price, and the tires will be addressed.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    7942 times
    My own experience with that era GM pickup, and the Vortec V8s of that era, has been exceptional. Keep them maintained, and they will go for 250,000 miles or more,depending on how well maintained and how hard they are worked.

Only things I would look for are exhaust leaks around the manifolds; there are a few bolts that are known to break on the exhaust manifolds right at the head, and are a PITA to replace.

The 4L65-E automatic is known to be problematic, especially if NOT maintained with fresh fluid, and abused in use. With that said, the 4L65-E is an improvement over the 4L60-E and the 4L60 predecessors.

Other problems to look for in that era GM pickup are: Make sure the gauges all work properly. The gauge stepper motors have been known to be problematic, and the gauge panel itself has been known to have bad solder joints. There is a place in South Carolina (?) that will do a complete rebuild of your gauge package to fix this.

I, myself, would be a little cautious about that rust out problem in the rockers. It may be common in your area of the country, but it would lead me to be cautious of other items that may not have received necessary maintenance (transmission fluid, suspension components, brakes, other fluids). Again, inspect it THOROUGHLY. I would crawl all over the underside of that vehicle looking for rust and other signs of worn suspension, brakes, and steering components.

I hope this helps in your decision making on this vehicle.
    Flash60601 and pegasus like this.
    "Our indulgence wore out with you A LONG time ago".
    - Rep. Jim Jordan to Rep. Adam Schiff about the "Impeachment Inquiry"

As has that of the majority of Americans.

Member #
    Liked
    7653 times
    Once i read rocker panels rusted out that’s when i said nope . You should look around some more . JMPO .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34111 times
    I agree with Desperado but as a fellow Pennsylvanian, I can expand on some of it. We'll get to that. First off, that price seems awful high for a PA truck of that year and especially with that mileage, even if it were a 4x4. Some things also need explaining. The 5.3's a sweetheart, can't imagine anyone needin' a rebuild at 100,000 so......'suppidat? I'm no Clodumbo but that year, mileage and rebuild combination paints a picture of a truck that's had the ____ beat out of it. All that aside, underneath is the first place to look on anything up here. Take a hammer to the frame in its entirety to see if it goes through or gives off a dull thud. You have to check all chassis attaching points too, like the engine cradle (particularly where control arms attach), shock/spring/strut mounts, cab and bed mounts, etc. Radiator core supports, bumper mounts/reinforcements and bed cross members are common issues with everything of age up here too.

Hard to say without layin' eyes on it but I tell people to figure the vehicle's worth at $100 per month for every month they figure they'll be able to drive it, i.e....it would pass state inspection without major chassis repairs. Just a hunch but from what I'm gettin' so far, I have my doubts that truck would make it another 45 months.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    1703 times
    The people on this forum never cease to amaze me.

An hour and a half, and I have three knowledgeable, articulate, and informative posts that really address my need. Brothers, may you never be without your needs being addressed as you have met mine.

After consultation with my body-shop friend, we will prob set up an appointment to go look this truck over CAREFULLY! My son thinks he will budge off the asking price at least the body-shop estimate.

I will let you know how ad where this goes.

Oh, now son tells me this vehicle is across the state line in Maryland. Shouldn't make much difference on rust issues, as they use chem/salts on their roads in winter, too.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    That price seems really high for what you're getting. I ran my 04 chevy with the same engine to 201,000 with only replacing an intake gasket before I traded in. As someone else said it sounds like it's been ridden hard and put away wet. Also with that much rust issues I'd be leery. I'm in MN where they use salt and stuff on the roads and when I traded in just my wheel wells were starting to rust and the inside lower edges of the doors had a few spots. With tires you could easily start at 1,000 to replace all them. I think you'd be better off to find another truck.
    NativeTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32186 times
    Question, if I may; why does he need a truck, specifically? $4500 can get you some good, reliable cars that will be cheaper to run and maintain too.
    Lomax likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1703 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Question, if I may; why does he need a truck, specifically? $4500 can get you some good, reliable cars that will be cheaper to run and maintain too.
    He is getting rid of an older (@90, I think) Dodge Dakota 4WD, they are getting a modest camper that will do well on a 2WD full-size. They have a Hyundai SUV that is front-whl drive and they want something that can do the camper

Member #
    Liked
    32186 times
    So we're actually talking want, not need, so he can be more picky. No need to rush; in fact, avoid it if there's the slightest reason to feel wary about the deal.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    34111 times
    You have to really look over used vehicles here, it's amazing what kind of stuff dealers and individual sellers will pull. I've seen a lot of people get burned, mostly by those "buy here, pay here" outfits that used to be illegal in PA. Certainly for my regular customers but really, for pretty much anyone, I'll check out a potential purchase vehicle for free. I'm not only tired of seein' folks get ripped-off but it can save me a lot of grief in the end. I know if they buy a rat......I'll prob'ly get stuck havin' to fix it.
    Flash60601 and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links