Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Cordless string trimmers

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31496 times

Cordless string trimmers

Anyone have experience with 'em? How do you like 'em? I'm considering one. I only need one to trim the little nooks and crannies I can't get at with my tractor when I mow. I used to just trim with Roundup, but this tractor is a little large and can't quite get into some of the areas that I could get at with my Cub Cadet. Now, it is not much I'd have to trim. I have a gas trimmer, but it seems like such a pain for the few little areas I'd have to trim. Most of the trimmers I've been looking at online have an estimated battery life of at least 30 minutes which is more than adequate.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31672 times
    I owned one years ago and it was adequate. Power wasn't as good as a plugged in version but it was okay and the battery usually lasted long enough to get everything.

I believe that some positive side effects of Tesla are that batteries are starting to be more efficient and last much longer. It's about time, battery life hasn't taken a huge jump forward (until now) in decades.
    Czechbikr and taurustoter like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    4267 times
    My neighbor has one of these... He is usually done trimming before I have my Stihl fueled and started..... I'll go battery powered for my next one...
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-v...ded/1000180459
    RonPT24/7 likes this.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I had a black and decker 18 volt 12" for several years till batteries quite holding a charge(batteries shared with cordless drills at the time), I got my mom's one about the same time trimmer her's looks like new but batteries failed as well. This spring I bought her a Black and Decker 12" 20v lithium (same as my newer cordless drills & sawsall) and have no reason to not expect it to be a good trimmer and batteries are a lot better than the 18v ni-cad or what ever they were. The one I got her came with 2 batteries, they seem to have more options now for single larger batteries. I did not have any with the edger.

I would buy one in a second if my gas trimmer fails. Only thing the gas does better is the edge of the sidewalk when the grass starts creeping over top.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19735 times
    A timely thread, this. My 120 VAC spin trimmer died last weekend after many years of faithful service (broken wire or connector inside the sliding tube to the motor), and I need a replacement. I hadn't thought about cordless trimmers. I shall be watching these comments with great interest.

I owe you an adult beverage of your choice, NT.

Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    The EGO brand of cordless tools works well. I have the blower and the string trimmer and love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rotorflyr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11394 times
    I have owned a Ryobi 40Volt full size trimmer for 5 years. It runs about 40 minutes and is quite powerful. The down side is a new battery cost as much as a new trimmer. However mine is still holding a full charge. It is a convenient way to handle trimming. I have only run it down once in that time. I think around 45 minutes of use. It uses a spool type of feeder, I keep a few spares on hand and just roll on new trim line when they get empty. Really it is easy to use, just kinda big and heavy. It cost me $139.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    34115 times
    Cordless and no string to mess with..............
    Name:  1024px-Domestic_goat_kid_in_capeweed.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  45.1 KB
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    129 times
    Lithium-ion batteries can greatly increase the run time usually instead of the Nickel-Cadmium type. But the Li-Ion types if not precisely engineered and manufactured can be prone to catching fire. Make sure the ones you get are UL (Underwriters Laboratories) listed. Ni-Cads are not usually prone to this situation but they tend to develop a memory and if used for a short duration repeatedly they can not provide power much past that time without recharging, and are rather “weak components” anyway. Look for the UL mark for battery powered stuff.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    I use Masterforce brand cordless tools that are the house brand of Menards. They're the 20 volt Li-ion batteries and I have the string trimmer, and blower. I use them both quite extensively at my cabin and they work great. I know some areas don't have Menards, but whatever your local hardware store is there is probably a house brand like dewalt, ryobi, Milwaukee, or even black and decker. All of these brands have options in string trimmers, and yard maintenance tools now. So if you have any of those kind of cordless tools check them out because you might have a shared battery capability already. My dad is a dewalt man and he just got the cordless 20v chainsaw and blower. They both work very well with the bigger 5.0 ah batteries. The bigger capacity battery the better off you'll be whatever you choose.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links