Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hospital visit

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17340 times

Hospital visit

They might become more common for my wife. She's had some serious back pain recently. It got so bad last night that I had to take her to the emergency room.

When she was a little girl she got polio during the outbreak in the early 50s. Several operations, over about a 15 year period, enabled her to lead a "sort" of normal life from a wheelchair. One of the things done to her was a metal rod in her back to correct scoliosis of the spine, a by product of the polio. It broke once in the late 60s and was replaced with a stainless steel rod. She had been told by the doctors at that time, that if it ever broke again, it would break at a specific location away from vital organs. The pain she was having was at that location, so she was afraid the rod had broken. We wound up spending the day in a refrigerated room in the ER at our local hospital.

After an hour of testing and the better part of the day, waiting for the results, she was given the green light on her SS rod. The doctors that saw her test results came in and got some more history on her operations. The rod she has is old med tech that not many living doctors have experience with. One of her doctors told her the pain she was experiencing was from the scoliosis still trying to twist her body and causing muscle spasms. When she's measured her left side is two inches lower than her right. He warned her it would probably get worse with age. She'll be 70 next year. They gave her some muscle relaxers and some pain meds, and here we are. I've done a lot of mods to the house to make life easier for her, but I may have to make some further mods. We'll see. Right now the dogs are laying on the bed with her and she's snoring, so I know the meds have kicked in. Me? I think I'll go grab a beer and work on my new pistol upper.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    269 times
    Hope the meds can control her discomfort and get back to a state where can function the best she can without pain and enjoy the golden years.

Member #
    Liked
    22257 times
    Start looking into Tens units and ask the doctor about meloxicam. Those may provide a non-surgical solution for your wife.
    Flash60601 likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19927 times
    I hope Mrs. CJS finds some relief from her ailments.

Member #
    Liked
    3961 times
    You are a good man and a good husband. Chronic pain really sucks. What I would give to have just one day pain free. I thank God every morning that mine hasn't gotten debilitating yet.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    14133 times
    Praying for the Mrs.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    11635 times
    Your wife is such a trooper. She has dealt with the disability for so long and is still willing to keep up the battle. Has she ever tried some kind of hot tub therapy. I know our bathroom tub(walkin in step safe) that doubles as a hot tub as well can help when nerve and muscle pain erupts (A real hot tub would be better, but transferring from a chair to a hot tub is difficult) . Also Physical therapy may help her strengthen other parts of her back/arms/shoulders to compensate for the issue. I would also be sure the muscle relaxers are correct for her, often times DR's prescribe too small a dose. Oh and don't forget yourself through this time. She is going to need you at the top of your game until things settle. So be sure to do somethings to keep yourself relaxed and healthy. God Bless partner.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    1019 times
    Praying for Your Wife.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17340 times
    Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately there's no improvement in sight. Conventional physical therapy doesn't work on polio patients. The therapy itself destroys the muscle mass and muscle massage, while pain relieving in the short term, has the same effect. The only physical therapy recommended is to ensure she stays flexible enough to not lose the physical abilities she still has. In the last five years she's lost the ability to get in and out of bed by herself. She can't reach above her shoulders with her right hand without help from her left hand under her right elbow. She can't reach out to take something off a shelf, and she has other limitations. Oddly enough she finds it easier to get dressed if she goes to the bathroom and sits on the toilet while her legs and feet rest on her chair. I modified the toilet so that it's surrounded by a bench about four feet wide. It looks like the classic one holer you'd find out behind the bunk house. She just pushes on and grins and bears it. She always told me when we first met that you played the hand you got. Sometimes you win, sometimes you can bluff your way through it, but eventually you'd just have to fold. Her whole family had that attitude and I'm pretty sure that's what attracted me. Well, like I said before, thanks for the thoughts and prayers. She says thanks too.
    kmw1954 and TrucksNCoffee like this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    6729 times
    I wnt down this road with my wife for some time. I wish you the best and my God bless you and your wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links