Chicken killers are back again
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Chicken killers are back again

Member #
    Liked
    8147 times

Chicken killers are back again

As many of you know, raising chickens for eggs isn't cheap, and loosing them to predicators is part of the game - but a expensive part. In the past, I've lost hens to just about every kind of predator , but with constant trapping I've been able to keep it "under control". For the last three days, I've had something get in the hen house at night and kill a hen = just eating the neck and butt, and not leaving the body behind. So, last night I put up the game camera facing into the door, and as expected, a LARGE Possum made its appearance. My dad always told me that a possum could do as much damage as a coon, fox or skunk, but I didn't heed his warning - thinking that the good that they do, outweighs what damage they do. Wrong. War has began - traps will be out in force tonight. I plan on torture before death.

Member #
    Liked
    33895 times
    ...you could always get a watch rhinoceros.
    DeltaBravoKS and GhostHorse like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    11290 times
    Yep those possums are chicken killers. I have eradicated most of them on my property. I did have to bring a couple of big cats down earlier this year. But since then we have been good.
    230JHP likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2207 times
    We live out in the country but don't have any livestock at the house. I'm a live and let live kind of guy except for hogs and that's an ongoing and continuous war. Possums I usually leave alone. They actually do some good until they start tearing things up around the house. Racoons don't know when to quit and usually end up on my bad side. Armadillos don't last long when they start digging holes all over the yard and flower beds. Coyotes never come around the place. I hear them at night but I haven't seen one in years. Everything else is pretty safe but one thing I will mention. I always set up game cameras to see what it is I'm going to be trapping. I learned that lesson after I trapped a skunk one night but that's a whole other story.

Member #
    Liked
    520 times
    Luckily it wasn't a neighbors dog, that is a bigger problem.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

Member #
    Liked
    981 times
    I just got my first chickens. They have been in the coop for about a month. I got them a day old and they are nine weeks old now .
    A 6X14 Roofed coop with a 4 foot raised roost box on the end.
    1/2 hardware cloth all around and down in the ground with skirt out 18". I have coons, fox and opossum testing the wire. They haven't had any luck. I check the wire and for tracks every morning.
    I had the chicks out in a temporary pin in the day while i was working the coop. A hawk landed on the pin while i was standing 12 foot way!
    I put the heat lamp in the coop the first week. They were five weeks and not going to roost without a night light they had in the brood box. You have to teach them everything unless you have a good hen. The second night in the coop i went out to make sure they went to bed and not chasing bugs from the light of the heat lamp and an owl was in a tree close to the coop.
    I'm glad i built with heavy wire and put it deep in the ground. I covered the wire seams with washers screws wooden fence boards.
    You can't get 100% predator proof but you can harden off.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Member #
    Liked
    753 times
    Would eventually like to own some chickens. However. I supply cartons and a friend supplies the fresh little nuggets so I can’t complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3598 times
    My wife got some chickens in the spring, and had the exact same problem. It turned out to be a fox who was only coming around at night. By the time we dispatched it she had killed all but one of the chickens, who has been alone all summer. She follows us around A LOT when she s free ranging during the day if we are outside. It even flew up onto my lap when we were sitting outside one day and I had been ignoring it when it was standing for awhile in front of my chair.
    We're going to have to get more chickens before winter hits to help it keep warm in the chicken coop, even though it has a heat lamp.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    778 times

Think Livestock Guardian Dogs

I have one who works to keep the goat herd safe and a puppy in his apprenticeship. They work 24 and 7. Varmints don’t have a chance.

Member #
    Liked
    8147 times
    This morning I had the possum in the trap. I usually hate to dispatch wild animals, but I enjoy eggs more. Odds are that there will be more.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links