Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Rolling blackouts in America?!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19662 times

Rolling blackouts in America?!

I find it very disturbing, that an American electrical utility cannot find a way to avoid the possibility of electrical-caused wildfires other than to create blackouts that affect millions of Americans. I know we here at TA.net express a lot of disdain for California and their draconian liberal laws, but for certain citizens of this great country to be told that the lights are going dark, 'cause their power company couldn't figure a way to fix their power distribution problems is something I thought I would never see.

PG&E's only fix is to turn the power off??!! Whatever happened to rolling up your sleeves and getting the job done? This is the United States of America, for crying out loud! Make it happen!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pge-start...ere-wind-event

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rk/3927858002/

Note: I started this thread in the Lounge, but if it goes political, that's fine - we'll just move it.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31555 times
    Texas addressed this problem many years ago, going the opposite direction that Kalifornia went, and I've heard absolutely nothing about needing blackouts or brownouts here to deal with electricity shortages. That may not be the case elsewhere, though, and I hope state legislators deal with this issue instead of resorting to Kalifornian-style draconian laws.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    29612 times
    How dare you compare a Texan to a Californian!
    NULLI SECUNDUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3506 times
    The problem with Cali and PG&E is damned if you do, damned if you don't. They won't let PG&E trim/clean the ROW due to environmental regs in CA, but then demonize PG&E when the wind puts a tree into the lines.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Member #
    Liked
    21996 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I find it very disturbing, that an American electrical utility cannot find a way to avoid the possibility of electrical-caused wildfires other than to create blackouts that affect millions of Americans. I know we here at TA.net express a lot of disdain for California and their draconian liberal laws, but for certain citizens of this great country to be told that the lights are going dark, 'cause their power company couldn't figure a way to fix their power distribution problems is something I thought I would never see.

PG&E's only fix is to turn the power off??!! Whatever happened to rolling up your sleeves and getting the job done? This is the United States of America, for crying out loud! Make it happen!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/pge-start...ere-wind-event

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rk/3927858002/

Note: I started this thread in the Lounge, but if it goes political, that's fine - we'll just move it.

The problem isn't with the state of California remarkably enough. This one falls squarely on PG&E. They've had DECADES to properly maintain their lines and equipment but it was "too expensive". I imagine the board members going to prison for 20 years for countless cases of negligent homicide (and yes, you can make a solid case exactly for that charge) will be a walk in the park for them... THEN you'll have the wrongful death lawsuits. Being it's Cali, I can see that top multiple BILLIONS of dollars they'll seek.
    This is like the old Fram oil filter commercials playing out in real time; "You can pay me now or you can pay me later".
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    It has happened here in Texas too because they simply couldn't produce enough power to meet demand, I've experience rolling blackouts and brownouts for as long as two hours.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    7665 times
    Blackouts are a common problem in 3rd world countries.

And the Leftists running California are quickly running the 5th biggest economy in the world right into 3rd world status.
    Last edited by jtg452; 10-10-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    352 times
    I could be wrong because I don't follow California news or politics, but from what little I've heard it's a California caused problem. The greenies wouldn't let the power company clear power corridors, and then they sued them after the last fire for billions of dollars claiming they had responsibility in the fire. Now PG&E is preemptively turning off power so they don't get sued again and the state is in an uproar about it. Sounds like they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you were the one in charge what would you do? Personally I'd let the state burn to the last stick but that's just me.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2656 times
    Where is Erin Brokovich when you need her?
    ICUKev likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    31977 times
    No one needs Erin Brokovich.

Years ago, Californians voted down a nuclear plant that was almost ready to go on line. Enjoy your blackouts.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links