Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Ford F150 problems

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    33016 times

Ford F150 problems

As you may know, I bought a 2004 F150 4x4 recently. I drove to Shiner to sign some papers on a new tractor and, coming home, I needed gas. I pulled into a gas station in Hallettsville and bought gas, went to start the the thing and it wouldn't start. Finally, I got a mechanic over there. I had NO tools. Well, he hauled it to his shop and we got a ride from one of my wife's friends. Damned Ford.

Anyway, the guy called and says he needs the old key. My wife has it and she's in Houston at a doc's visit, of course. Between me and her, I don't get a break from doc's visits. I have one tomorrow. I swear, I haven't been hunting deer since opening day because of the damned doctors.

So, anyway, if she gets home in time, we'll run over there. I just can't figure out WHY the key would work for 40 miles and then just up a quit. He says the thing codes no power to the fuel pump and something about the key. That just makes no sense to me, but then, in this wonderful world of useless computers and EPA mandated stuff on vehicles, I'm lost. I just can't WAIT until the guberment forces electric vehicles on us.

Anyway, anyone have a CLUE why a recently cut key would do this???? I'm lost.
    777Driver and CaptainMorgan like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    404 times
    Not sure if Ford has keys like Chevy does but Chevy has smart keys now. There's a little plus (+) sign stamped in the key that means there's a chip in the head of the key, and that chip coincides with the computer of the truck saying everything is ok. If you have a key cut that doesn't have that chip in it supposedly it's not supposed to start the engine. Maybe yours is something like that, or it gives the engine a limited range? I don't know why things have to be so complicated. It's supposed to eliminate risk of theft, but of course it implies that whoever is attempting to steal has access to your key to cut a copy. I don't know about you but my key stays in my pocket 95% of the time.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    33016 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkoht View Post
    Not sure if Ford has keys like Chevy does but Chevy has smart keys now. There's a little plus (+) sign stamped in the key that means there's a chip in the head of the key, and that chip coincides with the computer of the truck saying everything is ok. If you have a key cut that doesn't have that chip in it supposedly it's not supposed to start the engine. Maybe yours is something like that, or it gives the engine a limited range? I don't know why things have to be so complicated. It's supposed to eliminate risk of theft, but of course it implies that whoever is attempting to steal has access to your key to cut a copy. I don't know about you but my key stays in my pocket 95% of the time.
    I am suspecting this. I better stop commenting on modern technology or I'll start cursing and break forum guidelines. Guess for a spare key, I'll have to go to the dealer and spend a thousand bucks.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    33016 times
    And, oh joy, but my 2013 Silverado key has a "+" on it. But, I got multiple keys when I bought it new.
    BTW, thanks for the help. I was clueless.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Sounds to me like your roll over switch may have tripped. That will also cut off your fuel supply as well.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    33016 times
    Roll over switch???????
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    7728 times
    I don’t think they had smart keys for that yr model . I had an 2003 and it didn’t have one . Actually smart keys are for newer vehs that have the push button start when the key fob is within distance for starting . Does your 04’ have push button start ?
    RonLPT24/7

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    33016 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPT24/7 View Post
    I don’t think they had smart keys for that yr model . I had an 2003 and it didn’t have one . Actually smart keys are for newer vehs that have the push button start when the key fob is within distance for starting . Does your 04’ have push button start ?
    Nope and I hope to never have such a contraption.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPT24/7 View Post
    Smart Keys have been around for years for many vehicles without push to start buttons. Can't remember when they started coming out but its been a while.

Well I guess there is a difference in Smart Keys and Micro Chipped Keys. Smart keys started in 1995, not sure when micro chipped keys started.
    Last edited by Fishinkeylargo; 10-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    7728 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Smart Keys have been around for years for many vehicles without push to start buttons. Can't remember when they started coming out but its been a while.
    Yeah i know they have , we have a fleet of 25 vehs with smart keys . Some only have Fobs which are the newer ones and the older ones have a key plus Fob . But if I’m correct the 04’ F150 does not have the smart key .
    RonLPT24/7

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links