Ford F150 problems - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Ford F150 problems

Member #
    Liked
    1063 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    Technically, Ford calls it an "inertia switch". It's primary purpose is to sense impact and cut off the fuel pump. That's why they're mounted in the rear, a carry over from the Pinto. It should trip in the event of a rollover too, though. There's also a "rollover valve" on most all vehicles, located either in the fuel tank or filler neck to prevent leakage in the event of a rollover. Most are either the flapper style or a plastic ball and actuated by gravity.
    F150 is usually behind the kick pane on passenger side. Been there done that one before lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22294 times
    When I got my '97 Chevy K1500, I paid Audio Express $60 to remove the aftermarket alarm and ignition-fuel cutoff mess that a previous owner had installed. Only one of the two fobs that came with the pickup worked, and that particular system hadn't been made or sold in almost 20 years. I couldn't even find owner/operator information about it on the internet. That was money I consider very well spent.

PS: Those keys are all old-fashioned "dumb" keys, and I plan to keep this pickup for the rest of my life.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    33006 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    When I got my '97 Chevy K1500, I paid Audio Express $60 to remove the aftermarket alarm and ignition-fuel cutoff mess that a previous owner had installed. Only one of the two fobs that came with the pickup worked, and that particular system hadn't been made or sold in almost 20 years. I couldn't even find owner/operator information about it on the internet. That was money I consider very well spent.

PS: Those keys are all old-fashioned "dumb" keys, and I plan to keep this pickup for the rest of my life.
    I wonder if this anti-theft mess can be disabled by snipping some wires or pulling out a part or something. I have it on my Chevy, too, but I bought it new and got 4 spare keys for it. I'm thinkin' it'd be cheaper to have my mechanic disable the system than to have spare keys made.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    7728 times
    Don’t know about all that stuff but i wish i still had my 81’ chevy short wide bed PU ! It had a big six with two barrel carb , 4 in the floor (4th was OD) . No carpet which was fine but i had a/c put in and i had a radio for country music ! Only thing i added was a set of chrome slotted wheels and a nice camper shell . $750.00 for dealer installed a/c , wheels $300.00and shell $325.00 . Kept it 4 yrs , 18k miles . I gave $8100.00 for the truck and trade in i got $7500.00 . Can’t beat that ! The salesman bought my truck same day so no way to get it back .
    RonLPT24/7

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    33006 times
    Well, the 4x4 F150 is a poor replacement for my old 82 Toyota 4x4 as far as off road goes. Man, that old Toy was a goat! But, the Ford does have more motor, not that I really need it. The Toyota had been converted to an Offenhauser manifold with a 2 barrel Weber carb. They got rid of all the hoses for EPA garbage. It was a 4 speed floor shift and stone ax simple. I had 180K on it when I sold it. The thing was running great, but the rust got to it and I got tired of keeping up with the rust monster. I lived across the street from Lavaca Bay at the time and the salt water humidity there isn't kind to sheet metal. The floor was so ate up and holey, I feared I'd fall out the bottom driving down the highway. When I'd go down to my place and it was wet, the front wheels would throw mud up through the holes and I'd have to stop occasionally to clean my glasses. Yeah, it was time to move it on despite the fond memories. I had it 20 years.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 10-24-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22294 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I wonder if this anti-theft mess can be disabled by snipping some wires or pulling out a part or something. I have it on my Chevy, too, but I bought it new and got 4 spare keys for it. I'm thinkin' it'd be cheaper to have my mechanic disable the system than to have spare keys made.
    I highly recommend contracting with someone who installs anti-theft vehicle devices for a living. They understand what has to be snipped, spliced, re-wired, and capped, 'cause that's what they do in reverse when they install those things. Plus, if it won't start when they're done, they have the diagnostic tools to find their error and fix it, pronto. Like I said, money well spent.
    jturner3 and NativeTexan like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    33006 times
    Well, still no spare key, but I think I've got the bugs finally worked out of this old Ford after $1500. I spent $800 on 8 new ignition coils which I knew going in would have to be done. I spent $535 on a problem I didn't know about, the lighting was messed up. Well, I thought the left turn signal bulb on the back was burned out. Turned out to be a bit more than that. Seems the multi function switch (turn signal switch) on the steering column and the headlamp switch on the dash were fried and shorting. I don't quite have a grip on HOW this was, took my mechanic a while to figure it out and he's a good mechanic. But, he fixed it and it's now working.

I changed the oil a few weeks ago and it's not burning any oil or leaking any. The motor is a gem if the rest of it is iffy. I've driven it quite a bit now and it's working fine. Still only have 5K in it, so don't figure I got screwed on the deal being a 4x4 and all.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    4553 times
    My '07 GMC Sierra has two keys and one is a problem. I threw it in the bottom of the toolbox and use only the second key. It's quite annoying to say the least.

Member #
    Liked
    782 times
    Just a warning and suggestion to you if you have the ford with the smart key (my 2010 did).
    If you have 2 keys(real original ones, not ones that have been cloned) you can buy an new OEM key and program the computer to recognize it. IF you clone a key, it has the same ID number as the one you cloned from and the truck will not recognize it as adifferent key and you cannot use it to progran in a new key. The computer as i recall will let you enter up to 8 keys in it;s database, and each can be programmed with different rights. that way you can give your kid a key and know he can't drive the truck at 110 MPH
    Last edited by terryb; 12-12-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22294 times
    ^^^ Okay, that is getting way too complex. ^^^

When my K1500 was repaired after being rear-ended a few months ago, the loaner (paid for my his insurance company) was a brand new 2019 Dodge Ram 2500, complete with fob (no key) and push button start. All I could see and imagine was 1001 things that could go wrong, at the worst possible time and in the worst possible place. By day three of the five days I drove it, I couldn't wait to get my old '97 Chevy back again.
    NativeTexan likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links