A little RV observation.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: A little RV observation.

Member #
    Liked
    19232 times

A little RV observation.

Noticing a new or reoccurring shift in the popularity of RV size. Seems the trend is or has moved to smaller sized travel trailers. This looks to run across all age brackets as the movement grows.

These owners of the smaller travel trailers seem to enjoy the ability to move about more freely with less setup and take down time when stopping for over night travel. I have found out that many of these owners seem to be more private in keeping to themselves. Where as the owners of the larger RVs are more open to meeting strangers, returning a wave, or assisting other RV'ers who may need a hand.
    kruizer, 777Driver and YOT like this.

Member #
    Liked
    22351 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    Noticing a new or reoccurring shift in the popularity of RV size. Seems the trend is or has moved to smaller sized travel trailers. This looks to run across all age brackets as the movement grows.

These owners of the smaller travel trailers seem to enjoy the ability to move about more freely with less setup and take down time when stopping for over night travel. I have found out that many of these owners seem to be more private in keeping to themselves. Where as the owners of the larger RVs are more open to meeting strangers, returning a wave, or assisting other RV'ers who may need a hand.
    We have a big one. It really doesn't take any longer to set it up or take it down. Maybe less because it auto-levels in about a minute. Has a built in power operated electrical cord. Where it's a disadvantage is you can't get it into some places. Just too big. When we go to a National Forest and often there's only a few spaces that would accommodate us. Sometimes none. Since most of those are first-come first-served it's dicey.

Given it's power requirements boondocking would be difficult.
    jonrjen likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31187 times
    Well, my RV is 18 feet and, yeah, I'm quite anti-social toward strangers. Hard to wave when your hand is in your pocket gripping your .38. But, we don't really travel with the travel trailer, just take short fishing trips or use it to go to our other place to hunt or something.
    jonrjen and DeltaBravoKS like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19232 times
    I know back when we purchased our first diesel pusher I felt shunned by those who owned smaller RV's, yet too young to feel at ease around those who owned large pusher motorhomes. Found out that those with the smaller RV simply thought we were going to be snobbish to approach. So I turned things around and approached them. They welcomed me with some surprise and requested to tour the coach.
    I do miss the ability to fit into many of the state parks due to size. We drove though Palo Dura Canyon the other day. It was a beautiful as ever, albeit very wet and muddy. The sign at the top entrance read "All RV Sites either reserved or occupied". I think that there a few that would hold our rig which would be nice. However, that steep hair pin road going down into the canyon wouldn't excite me enough to give it a try.
    dogchild likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    491 times
    I think the Diesel pushers are interesting. If I was driving a semi would need a special license, a CDL. If i was driving a school bus, same thing. If i am 80 and driving a diesel pusher towing a Camry what do i need? I'm afraid it is just a normal license.
    Desperado and GhostHorse like this.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

Member #
    Liked
    19232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rhugg View Post
    I think the Diesel pushers are interesting. If I was driving a semi would need a special license, a CDL. If i was driving a school bus, same thing. If i am 80 and driving a diesel pusher towing a Camry what do i need? I'm afraid it is just a normal license.
    This really depends on the state in which you are licensed. Such as in Texas it the motorhome is over 26,001 pounds you are required to have a Class A drivers license. If you are towing a trailer of any kind and the gross combined weight is over 26,001 pounds then you are required to have a Class B drivers license. Both of these Class A and B license are not CDL license, just a variation of meeting weight restrictions as to single or combined weight. Interesting is that for the Class A and B license you do not need to have air brake endorsements even if equipped with air brakes.

Other states will have different requirements and laws.

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rhugg View Post
    I don't know where you live but if you're in Texas you probably need a Class "B" license for something that big with or without the tow.

We have a Super "C" and enjoy all the conveniences that come along with it, especially on long trips. When the time comes that we get too old and feeble for long trips we'll downsize to something smaller for week-end trips to State Parks and the like. Two people and two dogs being stuck in a small RV for a couple of days because of bad weather can strain the best of relationships … or so I've been told. In all the years we have been RVing I've never found anybody to be standoffish. They've all been very friendly and helpful irrespective of the size of their unit.
    Last edited by ETF; 10-07-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    jonrjen likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19541 times
    Interesting thread, and timely. My wife and I just returned from a round trip vacation last week, driving Albuquerque-Estes Park-Albuquerque. We took my '97 Chevy K1500 half-ton and stayed in hotels for the trip. We are seriously considering whether or not to buy a smaller RV trailer. The pickup is rated to tow a maximum of 5,000 pounds, so I'm going to be looking to see what's available.
    jonrjen likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3560 times
    For my wife and I smaller makes a lot of sense, because if we're going to travel in or with an RV or trailer, it's not like we are going to spend a lot of time at some RV campground next to hundreds of other people just to get away from home. We already live out in the country anyway. We just want to go to new places and see new things, like a rolling stone. The most we'd be staying someplace is probably a week and that's only if there is plenty to see and do in the local area away from the campground. Like for example if we were going to ride my MC in SD or Daytona or Key west, or Tenn. etc. The RV or trailer would just be a place to eat and sleep in and use the bathroom. We went to Key west once and stayed at a great campground using a class B camper van, for example. If we get a trailer trailer it will be a small toy hauler that is lightweight and easy to pull. Something with one queen size bed up front, separate frig and freezer, full bathroom with separate shower, separate dining area, designed mainly for two people or maybe 2 adults and one smaller kid. Also with an empty weight less than 5600 lbs. for easier towing. Even better, less than 4000 lbs. Something like this for example:

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2521 times
    While traveling, I've noticed that people who stay in the regular sized hotel rooms are more friendly and chatty than people who stay in suites. I just see RV's as money pits and obstacles to pass on the highway. I'll never be able to spend enough on hotels to justify the cost of an RV.

To each his own!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links