A little RV observation. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: A little RV observation.

Member #
    Liked
    22350 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    This really depends on the state in which you are licensed. Such as in Texas it the motorhome is over 26,001 pounds you are required to have a Class A drivers license. If you are towing a trailer of any kind and the gross combined weight is over 26,001 pounds then you are required to have a Class B drivers license. Both of these Class A and B license are not CDL license, just a variation of meeting weight restrictions as to single or combined weight. Interesting is that for the Class A and B license you do not need to have air brake endorsements even if equipped with air brakes.

Other states will have different requirements and laws.
    Technicalities and clarifications....it's A for the trailers and B for the motorcoach. And it's not the actual weight, it's determined by the Gross Combined Weight Rating being over 26,000# pounds. My rigs actual weight is almost 25,000# combined as it is loaded, but the the max combined weight is over 26,000#, it's like 28,000.

But most states don't have this requirement. It's kind of good and kind of bad. Having to go take a written and road test makes people want to avoid it. Which I could have squeeked under it if I bought a lesser truck. But the dually threw it over. But towing a 16,000# + trailer you need a dually even if on paper I could have gotten away with a SRW. But without the DRW I'm not sure whether I'd be towing, or being pushed.

Wasn't a big deal, they aren't as hard on you as they are commercial drivers. I went to a little out-of-the-way DPS office and they were very accomodating. If you get one of the Barney Fifes at the big "DPS Service Centers" in the major cities I hear you get a different experience.
    Last edited by glenwolde; 10-07-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    jonrjen and ETF like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    22350 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    While traveling, I've noticed that people who stay in the regular sized hotel rooms are more friendly and chatty than people who stay in suites. I just see RV's as money pits and obstacles to pass on the highway. I'll never be able to spend enough on hotels to justify the cost of an RV.

To each his own!
    We live in ours full time now. That wasn't the plan at first but that's the way it worked out. We've moved a lot over the last six years and were planning on getting used to the RV and then take off .... when the wife decided she wanted to keep working, and a friend offered her a job that was in another place, and probably wasn't going to last too long. It didn't because she ran into another one when she was doing that one. She's doing both at the moment (they are related and overlap) but transitioning from one to the other.

Now it's great being flexible to go wherever, whenever and not worrying about having to move yet again. When she decides she doesn't want to do it anymore we can be anywhere in the U.S. in a week.

It's got a king size bed and a washer dryer. It's basically a one bedroom apartment on wheels. The trailer was expensive, but the lot rent is cheap enough and all the utilities / cable are included for the $450 / month. Plus I pay like $60 / month for better internet.

If you buy one don't buy a new one like we did. Unless you're picky. They depreciate like crazy and there's lots of 2-3 year old ones that are barely used for 30%-40% off sale prices.
    Definition of clip

2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19531 times
    Where can a person find a nice pre-owned RV trailer, and what kind of original owner should one look for?
    kschilk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2880 times
    Pfffffffft!.... You, antisocial, I don't believe it! Now having a low threshold for dealing with stupid people, I believe!

Maloy

Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Well, my RV is 18 feet and, yeah, I'm quite anti-social toward strangers. Hard to wave when your hand is in your pocket gripping your .38. But, we don't really travel with the travel trailer, just take short fishing trips or use it to go to our other place to hunt or something.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2880 times
    I've been looking at travel trailers for when I retire. I'm also looking at downsizing to a micro home as well. I just want enough room for a few guns and a good dog.

Maloy
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    22350 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Where can a person find a nice pre-owned RV trailer, and what kind of original owner should one look for?
    rvtrader.com..facebook marketplace....craigslist.... They have inspectors for them, same as houses, use one. Or use an RV dealer for the inspection and/or purchase. Your looking for one that's been used some, but not a lot.

Every RV has problems. It's very common even for good brands. They show up as they are used so you want it used some. Bought new and put straight into storage is not necessarily a good idea. It will have the normal problems but the warranty has expired. Plan on doing some short shake-down trips to work out the kinks. Hopefully the previous owner used it enough to do that for you. Just watch out for water damage. Look at the roof closely. But the inspector will do that.
    Definition of clip

Member #
    Liked
    24725 times
    My dream has been to win the lottery and get one of those RVs built on a semi tractor chassis. I would want that so that I could haul a trailer for my car, motorcycle and side by side.

It would have the strength to easily handle that.

Then, my wife and I could travel the country staying in different areas with time to explore.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10677 times
    My dream is to have enough time to enjoy the little RV we have- nothing fancy but a perfect get away size for my wife and I and our two Cocker Spaniels. Fits in any campsite we choose and tows behind the Silverado like it's not there.

Name:  P1000389.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  3.50 MB

Picture taken at Anastasia State Park, St. Augustine Beach, Florida.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    33515 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    Hot, wealthy and single.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19531 times
    Quote Originally Posted by coopercdrkey View Post
    My dream is to have enough time to enjoy the little RV we have- nothing fancy but a perfect get away size for my wife and I and our two Cocker Spaniels. Fits in any campsite we choose and tows behind the Silverado like it's not there.

Name:  P1000389.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  3.50 MB

Picture taken at Anastasia State Park, St. Augustine Beach, Florida.
    Nice picture, but where are the mountains?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links