Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Got bumped, need advice

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19662 times

Got bumped, need advice

I was sitting in my '97 Chevy pickup at a red light yesterday at 8:35 AM, number two in the lane waiting for a green light. Eyes ahead, it's been a long red and it'll change any moment. Foot solidly on the brake when BUMP! from behind.

Put the transmission in park, parking brake on, 4-way flashers on, turn the engine off. I'm not hurt. I LOVE full-sized pickup trucks! I got out and saw this:

Name:  bump 1.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  3.82 MB

Name:  bump 2.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  3.60 MB

He's insured, thank the Lord. (Uninsured drivers are a HUGE problem in New Mexico.) His Nissan Versa is probably totaled. My rear bumper is pushed in just a bit on the left end. Some small cosmetic damage that took an auto body repair estimator to really see and document. Frame, suspension, etc. are all fine. Estimate from Quanz for fully repairing it back to like new condition, including new bumper, paint and clear coat (that's how nice this truck is that I've had for four months): $1900.

Do I have to have it repaired at a body shop of the choice of his insurance?

Do I have the right to take a cash settlement in the amount of the estimate, on the premise that I will repair it myself?

Is there anything I should be aware of in the coming weeks or months? I've heard the stories about insurance companies trying to shortchange or hoodwink accident victims, in order to save money.

Advice, experiences, and your thoughts welcomed.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10712 times
    Have the licensed insurance adjuster specified by his insurance company work up the repair estimate. It may be very close to the number your repair guy came up with. If not, you may have to use a repair facility that is approved to accept the amount he authorized.

If that facility is not acceptable to you, and you choose to use your guy, you may have to come up with the difference.

In my experience, the option to take cash in lieu of repair is not likely, but YMMV.

Good luck.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    964 times
    Submit two estimates from YOUR choosing. You will be asked (most times) to see THEIR adjustor. Offer will be made or they will ok your guy. They refuse to use one of your guys or you do not like their offer it's time to lawyer up. I never use "their" repair shop. I have a guy i grew up with that has a shop. He is well known and insurance does not balk at his prices or work. Now the part they will not talk about or want to pay unless they know you are not a newbie. Loss of depreciation on resale now that it has a record of repair. Yes that money is real and due to you. It's the hidden cost they like to pocket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10712 times
    Good one! I learned something new today! ^^^^^^
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    31981 times

That truck is in amazing shape! {I've seen it in person, folks.} If you're not furious, you are a remarkable man.

Of course, dinging your truck and totaling his car does add some humor to it..... Glad you're okay.

I'd get a couple of estimates, make sure they are all in the same ball park, and then get it fixed. That truck is too nice to just pocket the cash, even if you can.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19662 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post

That truck is in amazing shape! {I've seen it in person, folks.} If you're not furious, you are a remarkable man.

Of course, dinging your truck and totaling his car does add some humor to it..... Glad you're okay.

I'd get a couple of estimates, make sure they are all in the same ball park, and then get it fixed. That truck is too nice to just pocket the cash, even if you can.
    That's what my wife says, too. What I'd really like to do is get a black painted or powder coated bumper instead of a chrome plated bumper. I suppose I can talk to the repair shop that ends up doing the work and see if that's possible, providing the cost is the same.

Member #
    Liked
    7635 times
    You should be able to choose which body shop you want to use . It’s the Nissans fault , period .

Member #
    Liked
    903 times
    You have the legal right to choose the shop that does the work, the at fault driver's Insurance cannot tell You where to have Your vehicle repaired.
    Most shops and insurance companies use the same software to do repair estimates so any shop You take it to in the same area will have similar estimates.
    Any custom work You wanted done would have to be negotiated with the shop and if there is any difference in price it would probably have to come out of Your pocket.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    574 times
    Since you.own the truck outright, they should not balk at cutting you a check.
    But, as nice as that truck is, I'd definitely get it fixed. Just my .02.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19662 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_Doc View Post
    Since you.own the truck outright, they should not balk at cutting you a check.
    But, as nice as that truck is, I'd definitely get it fixed. Just my .02.
    Yeah, I think I will get it fixed. It's just that it came with a really nice Ranch Hand front bumper in black, and I'd like the rear bumper to be black, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TrucksNCoffee; 09-22-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links