Got bumped, need advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Got bumped, need advice

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    2 things:

How's your neck? Seems like a jolt like that would leave you with some neck pain/issues. Secondly...from the pic it looks like his air bag didn't deploy. If so, I'd stay away from that model of vehicle. Of course it could've been equipped with a Takata!
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. - C. Mallouhi (author)

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19509 times
    My neck is fine. I believe he was going slower when he hit me than some might have thought.

His air bag did deploy, but there aren't any holes in the front of his shirt, thankfully. The Takata problem lies with internal parts corroding over the years, and in New Mexico's dry climate, corrosion is not a problem.
    nevadabob likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    380 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    I forgot to ask - His insurance should pay for a car rental for me while my truck is in the body shop, right?
    When you talk to his insurance company tell them you need a "loss of use vehicle," and insist that it be similar to what you have.
    I got hit once, and told the guy's insurance this and they wanted to get me a little "econobox" tiny car. I told them that was not acceptable because I had 3 "growing boys" so they reluctantly got me a full-size car.
    Steve G.

U.S. Air Force Veteran
    Henry Golden Boy (.22lr)
    Taurus Spectrum
    Taurus PT-111 Millennium G2
    CZ P-07 (.40 S&W)
    Smith & Wesson 4006 TSW
    Rock Island Armory 1911A1 10mm

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4341 times
    Different states have different laws. Here if you have a older vehicle insurance companies want to look at wholesale value of the average model from that year. Then if repair is near that book value just declare it totaled. Write you a check for it and be done with it. In that case you have to get a lawyer. Can be a real pain. Some companies are better or worse than others. Been through it a few years back.

Member #
    Liked
    9179 times
    Talking about bumped I bought a new Silverado back in December. I have an old
    Accord I drive to work but occasionally I drive the truck so it does not sit too long.

One morning about 5 am on a three lane stretch a lady in a Fusion decided she
    needed to be in the same lane as me. She caught the right front bumper and I
    heard crumpling.

Instant queasy in my stomach as the truck was 2 months old at the time. We pulled
    into a McDonald's parking lot. Not going to go into the drama of the matter but I
    was sick to my stomach as I walked around the back of the truck knowing I was
    going to see damage down the side. I looked at her car as I walked around to the
    side and the rear quarter panel had crumpling about 3 feet long. Oh boy I thought
    as I pulled out my flashlight to inspect my truck.

To my surprise I had a 3 in scratch on the painted bumper right on the corner and
    nothing else.

I will leave all the details of the interaction with the other driver and police but
    thanks to my insurance company and a cop that could tell what happened by
    the damage she didn't get a dime from my insurance company. I buffed out the
    scratch.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    118 times

Got bumped, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    Similar situation, they paid me about $30.00 per day. Really small car unless you pay the difference.
    The other guys insurance will probably try to bluff you with their “standard practices or policies”, but if they took your truck out of service, you should insist on a truck if you want one while yours is being fixed.

My truck was red also, and it looked fine right after the repair, but it faded pretty bad after a while and it was very obviously different from the rest of the finish. Kinda wished then I had had the bumper replaced and been cash compensated for the little bit of repaint instead of having it done. It definitely looked different where the repaint was done. The reason they did it was because when the guy hit me it pushed the bed forward enough to touch the rear of the cab in a couple spots. The body shop guy pointed it out. i didn’t notice it. They had to take off the bed to fix those spots. Red fades bad enough from the sun as is, the fading will make the repaint areas obvious. If you’re going to repaint, I’d suggest a complete repaint or a guarantee.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    21878 times
    You shouldn't be talking to his insurance company at all. This is part of what you pay YOUR insurance company to do. remember, you have damages and depreciation to your vehicle. Get the depreciation estimated as soon as possible as if you wait a year, the value of your truck decreases as well. The accident wasn't someone's foot slipping off the brakes. they would've rolled to a max of 7 mph and tapped you. The damage of his car is more in tune with a 15-20 mph collision. That indicates he wasn't paying attention. Get the exact time and date and you can subpoena his cell phone to prove he was texting or browsing the web. I would definitely be lawyering up right about now.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2875 times
    Nope, that's consistent for under 20mph and going under the bumper. I had a 98 like that truck and a lady rear ended me sliding on ice. It was a light shove for me, it was a ruined Mercury Sable. Took out the hood and entire front clip, bumper, radiator, water pump, alternator. She was in tears.

A guy once tried to maneuver around my '88 Wrangler with a new Nissan truck. The front bumper on the YJ was just a piece of steel channel. It tore off most of the driver's side of the Nissan truck. All the damage on my Jeep was it twisted the bumper slightly and left some scraped paint on it.

Maloy

Maloy

Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    NOW, the way that I look at it is: You were sitting at a full stop at a red light. You got hit from behind. I would guess that you can get whatever settlement you ask for within reason in exchange for a complete liability release.

FWIW, the damage to his car shows that if his foot slipped off of the brake he was still traveling 35mph or better at the time of impact.

Member #
    Liked
    6412 times
    Glad you are OK, hate when you really take good care of something and some one comes along and bangs it up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links