Ohio deputies pull over Amish buggy stocked with beer and sound system - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Ohio deputies pull over Amish buggy stocked with beer and sound system

Member #
    Liked
    33529 times
    There's one thing about the Amish you never really get used to......road apples.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13567 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    There's one thing about the Amish you never really get used to......road apples.
    Don't like the taste? Try them in a pie or make cider.
    kschilk likes this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    33529 times
    Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    Don't like the taste? Try them in a pie or make cider.
    Personally, I never tried tastin' 'em and never will, I try not to even hit 'em.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1548 times
    Oh yeah, one more Lancaster County oddity.

Cattail Foundry.

On Cattail road, there was, and probably still is, since it was a lucrative business - - a FOUNDRY ! Yes, cast iron, aluminum, brass, bronze, . Smallish, as foundries go, a family-run business. They would cast "to order" one or a hundred, whatever you wanted. You could take them a broken casting off a 1908 Hupmobile, and they'd make you a new one. Whatever. I went there for castings to make a dozen gem-faceting machines for a friend.

At the time, I worked for a multi-national company whose foundry had five electric induction furnaces and poured 80,000 - 100,000 lbs of iron daily. I've seen some awesome stuff and some spectacular burns on un-cautious workmen. Imagine seeing little eight and ten-year-old boys, working in the foundry BAREFOOT !

No, of course they did NOT use electricity for the furnaces (which were at most 1,000 lb capacity), they were gas-fired, with compressed air to force the flame.

They had a fairly complete machine shop (all manual, no CNC, of course), but all machines also run by compressed air.

the compressed air was all furnished by a rather large screw compressor, out a ways from the barn, served by a 3" iron pipe and powered by a big DIESEL engine.

Another oddity in Lancaster County is to see a barefoot teenager standing on the doubletree, driving a team of four BIG draft horses, pulling a combine, which itself is powered by a four-cylinder Wisconsin engine.

The "plain folk" I have met and worked with and dealt with are generally, pretty much like anyone else, no better nor any worse than anyone. Some do sincerely take their vows with singleness of heart, follow the traditions of their fathers, and live responsibly while others might drift off to different distances. I went to school with them, worked on their farms as a teenager, and still keep company (It's 65 years later) with those who were in my high school class.

The different "orders" have differing standards, dress, beard style, can have a car but it must be black with all the chrome painted black too, or can have a black car with minimum chrome or can hvae a car as long as it is a dark color, or - - - well, you get the idea.

One of my neighbors, just down the block is a Registered Nurse, works at the local hospital and yet wears the prevailing "scrubs" color in a long dress and bonnet. I drove truck for one of the Elders of anther congregation when he was working his farm. Not wierd, just different.
    pegasus likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1584 times
    I took a little weekend trip to a bed and breakfast a few years ago with the family to Lancaster co. Pa. Was amazed at how tricked out they were able to make their horse and buggies. Could not stop laughing . Hip-hop music blasting from an Amish buggy just isn't right.
    Flash60601 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    102 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    And the boombuggy was blasting, "I rode through the desert on a horse with no name. It felt good to be out of the rain."

Ya know, at any point during that ride through the desert he could have given the horse a name.

Yes, but perhaps he was just being respectful to the horse, which likely already had a name unknown to the rider. Probably shoulda sang it as a horse with undetermined name. Oh, well, like the flower needs the rain.....
    Last edited by DesolationAngel; 09-21-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    Flash60601 likes this.
    "Maybe some day men won't have to wear guns. The way things are now, they do." -- Marshal Dan Troop

m-w.com : clip > 2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also: a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm

Member #
    Liked
    6425 times
    Maybe the beer belonged to the horse.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links