Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Convert Seagate Barracuda hard drive to backup

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19551 times

Convert Seagate Barracuda hard drive to backup

I have a Seagate Barracuda 1000GB hard drive that was removed from a crashed computer. I'm going to install it into an external hard drive case and use it for a backup to my current desktop computer. I have a couple of questions before I get started.

First: The registry on this hard drive was somehow corrupted, and a computer store was unable to fix it. It has the entire operating system still on it, plus whatever virus/Trojan/nasty bug infected it to begin with. Should I go to, oh say, Best Buy, buy a hard drive case with cable, then have them install and connect the HDD in the case, and then reformat the hard drive? My concern is that I've not done this before, and I don't want to take ANY chance of it corrupting my desktop if I do it myself. What is the best way to safely reformat the old HDD?

Name:  case.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  1.77 MB

Second: Is there any one brand of HDD external drive case better than the others, or are they mostly the same thing? By the way, my HDD has a SATA drive serial connector - I already know about getting the right kind of case.

Name:  connectors.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  1.59 MB

Any advice and information greatly appreciated.
    777Driver likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31452 times
    Okay, I have to do this to my wife's laptop. Here is what I'm planning to do. First, I will buy a new hard drive, and I'm leaning toward a SSD drive as a replacement. I'll put the replacement drive into a USB external unit and then boot into Windows and use a mirroring drive software to mirror the old drive to the new drive. After that, I will remove the old drive, and put in the new SSD drive, and it should come up just like the old drive, same programs installed, icons on your desktop, everything. The mirroring software is sometimes on your new drive. If not, you'll need a good mirroring software to do that. There are several out there, and probably some free ones too, but I've not had a lot of experience doing this so I'm not sure what is superior and what is not. After that works, I will put the old drive into the USB external unit and plug that into the computer, and re-format the drive using Windows.

You really shouldn't need Best Buy or whoever to put the drive into the external unit. You should see the SATA plug, and the power plug. You can't mix them up. Plug them into their respective interfaces and voila - thats pretty much it.

If mirroring is out, in other words if the old hard drive's registry is truly whacked and can't be saved, then you'll need to install fresh Windows on your new hard drive, then bring up the old hard drive in the USB external case and copy over what you want. Any programs, you'll need to re-install but you should be able to copy your data files over, then re-format the old drive using Windows whenever you want.
    jwc007 likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    You can probably get a new WD My Book external HD for less than having it done if you are unsure about doing it yourself. There are other brands. I have two Western Digitals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31452 times
    One thing I didn't say about SSD drives. They are pretty much built like thumb drives, they're not standard hard drives at all in the sense of a metallic disk spinning, and an arm reading data. They read the data kinda like thumb drive technology and thus they generally are much faster than a standard hard drive. The drawback is, that whenever they do konk out, they are GONE. I mean, no recovery at all. If that is a deal killer for you, then you should get a regular hard drive.
    jwc007 likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    4165 times
    Rather than mess with a corrupted/diseased hard drive I would spend $50.00 on this. If you are determined to use the old hard drive you need to format it (maybe 3 or 4 times) to wipe it clean, then set int up for the type of file system, NTFS or FAT32, needed for your computer.

https://www.amazon.com/Bipra-Externa...SIN=B005DZRWEE
    Czechbikr and jwc007 like this.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Member #
    Liked
    21888 times
    Get a cheap external enclosure.
    Download Darik's Boot and nuke and put it on a thumbdrive
    remove your existing HD
    connect the Terabyte drive to the computer and boot off the thumbdrive.
    Nuke the drive completely, I.E, security wipe it
    That will give you a known good platform so that even if there's a rootkit virus on that drive, it won't be afterwards.
    Connect your original drive and put the 1TB drive in the enclosure and Mirror the internal drive to the external.
    Test the mirrored drive by booting to it.
    If it passes, move it OFF SITE (take it to work or something).

Darik's boot and nuke D/L:
    https://dban.org/
    stupimlico likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    I would run "fdisk" or "gparted" on the drive first and let it build a new allocation table. Then use the Linux "dd" command VERY carefully. Read a lot about it first and write down EXACTLY what you want to type before you type it. Fill the drive with "0"s and "1"s. Then shut down the drive. Restart the drive, run fdisk or gparted command again and build another new allocation table. Then fill it again with 0's and 1's, then delete everything again. Shut down the drive. Restart and build a new allocation table one last time. You should be clean at this point.

I'm old school. Old enough I used to write my own head and sector tables for MFM and RLL drives many years ago. The above should work. I would still check it for a virus after, just to be sure. Some Worms are nasty business.
    My two cents.
    GreenWolf70 and dwhite like this.
    My 2 cents.
    Most guns out shoot most people.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Old hard drives make good targets.
    PT140 | TCP738 | PT809 | M405 | PT840 | PT609 | PT845 | M65 | PT1911 |
    PT24/7 Pro C DS .45 | PT24/7 Pro OSS DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro C DS .40
    Sand Lake 2015 | 2016 | 2017 [pending]

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2524 times
    I've purchased Western Digital drives all my life and never had a problem with any of them. In a moment of weakness (and cheapness) I've purchased 4 Seagate drives over the years and 3 of them have had total failures. I would not waste money buying an enclosure for a poor drive, when a WD External drive of the same size (or larger) could probably be had for very little more money.

However, if you're set on doing it, download the UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD). This is a very handy CD that boots itself with Linux and has all kinds of utilities on it, some of which are disk utilities. Burn that UBCD image to a CD and then boot it before attaching your (old) new external drive. This way your real computer's OS never sees that drive before you can format it. Use the UBCD to format that new drive. There's probably some NSA-style disk clearing software on the UBCD if I remember, and it will wipe everything as if you're a former First Lady.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7635 times
    That HDD you have there is an IDE drive, meaning that you will have a hard time finding a housing to put it in locally, for starters (new PC's don't even have those connections anymore) and even on amazon they are more than half the price of this new 2TB (2000GB) external drive:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07CRG94G3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=A2R4N7JCTX75&keywords=2tb+ext ernal+hard+drive&qid=1568722234&sprefix=2tb+exter% 2Caps%2C161&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWVI3W TFWMlFLVUxNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzcwMTAyM0NIRDNOWjB OT0xDSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTIzMTMwRThFV001WktKS TBCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGl yZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

as to your backup issue, I purchased Acronis a while back. It's actual backup software that lets you take incremental backups, set a backup schedule, create a recovery boot thumb-drive / CD / DVD that you could restore your entire system from in case of emergency.
    jwc007 likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links