Convert Seagate Barracuda hard drive to backup - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Convert Seagate Barracuda hard drive to backup

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    In the past two weeks I purchased a NEW 1TB WD Blue SATA drive off Ebay in original OEM blister pack for $35 + tax with free shipping. That's hard to beat IMO. Runs fine.

You can reformat the old drive as I described in an earlier post, but what's the point in fighting hardware? Just buy a new drive. IMO.
    Last edited by grumpyoldcomputerguy; 09-17-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    jwc007 and Czechbikr like this.
    My 2 cents.
    Most guns out shoot most people.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Member #
    Liked
    21894 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    That HDD you have there is an IDE drive, meaning that you will have a hard time finding a housing to put it in locally, for starters (new PC's don't even have those connections anymore) and even on amazon they are more than half the price of this new 2TB (2000GB) external drive:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B07CRG94G3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=A2R4N7JCTX75&keywords=2tb+ext ernal+hard+drive&qid=1568722234&sprefix=2tb+exter% 2Caps%2C161&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWVI3W TFWMlFLVUxNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzcwMTAyM0NIRDNOWjB OT0xDSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTIzMTMwRThFV001WktKS TBCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGl yZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

as to your backup issue, I purchased Acronis a while back. It's actual backup software that lets you take incremental backups, set a backup schedule, create a recovery boot thumb-drive / CD / DVD that you could restore your entire system from in case of emergency.

That's not an IDE or EIDE. It's a 1TB SATA with a 6GB transfer rate. Model is: ST1000DM003. NewEgg has them for 28-29 bucks.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    To add emphasis to the "just get a new one" suggestion, it's 6.5 years old.
    Date: 13374
    13374 corresponds to 2013-03-18
    TrucksNCoffee and jwc007 like this.
    PT140 | TCP738 | PT809 | M405 | PT840 | PT609 | PT845 | M65 | PT1911 |
    PT24/7 Pro C DS .45 | PT24/7 Pro OSS DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro C DS .40
    Sand Lake 2015 | 2016 | 2017 [pending]

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    Tandy! LOL! Those from your "Trash-80"?
    I started out with a TI-99/4A.

I bought these for my 386/SX-33. One meg of memory and a 20 meg hard drive. Paid
    $1300 for that thing with a monitor, keyboard, and cheap mouse.

I had lied in an interview about my computer skills then ended up actually GETTING the
    job. I had work to do so I had to buy it. Had a self imposed crash course in computer
    operations and BASIC programming.

All the Best,
    D. White
    DeltaBravoKS and GreenWolf70 like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2538 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post
    I started out with a TI-99/4A.

I bought these for my 386/SX-33. One meg of memory and a 20 meg hard drive. Paid
    $1300 for that thing with a monitor, keyboard, and cheap mouse.

I had lied in an interview about my computer skills then ended up actually GETTING the
    job. I had work to do so I had to buy it. Had a self imposed crash course in computer
    operations and BASIC programming.

All the Best,
    D. White
    Wow, what a blast from the past. I started programming on a calculator (TI-programmable 58C). Our school got a TRS80 when I was a senior, and no one knew what to do with it, so they gave it to the typing teacher since it had a keyboard. They handed me the manual and I learned BASIC (it was a very good manual for learning BASIC). My first owned computer was a TI-99/4A but I never used it. I bought it at KMart for $49 and couldn't pass up the bargain. I recently sold it for $75 on eBay (there is still a community out there). My first owned "modern" computer was a IBM PS/2 Model 70 (over $5000 in the 80's) and I still have it. I think I have every piece of computer hardware I've ever purchased and much that has been acquired from work, except of course that TI-99/4A.

Thanks for sparking the memories.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10946 times
    LOL, I started in college with a FORTRAN class that introduced me to card stacks and basic programing logic.

Picked up a Commadore64, which got me into breaking copy protection. Fort Benning was an amazingly competitive environment, I think we all spent more time being the first to break something, than we ever did actually playing any game.

MSDOS was just starting to become common, but my eye got caught by the Amiga. It was point and click long before Windows appeared. It also had an amazing Basic debugging program built into it, and that was when I really took off into programming.

Transferred over to Redstone Arsenal, got designated to program MSDOS with menu system so a single button push got you into the program of your choice. Redstone had an amazing professional library and I taught myself Modula and the basics of EVA, and a few other esoteric languages that only DoD used.

Worked a communications development program and got to know some of the folks at Fort Gordan's Signal School, where they introduced me to Linux. Then I got much more involved in the hardware side of computing and communications. Retired in 2006 and sort of left that stuff behind.

The funniest thing that I remember was taking over as Deputy Project Manager of a large project office and while going over my new computer, it did some strange things that made me look into the system in more detail. It turned out the entire network was using some archaic format system to was so old it was vulnerable to being hacked easily. We had our own servers and network at that time, so I went and talked to my IT guys, only to discover that all but the most junior contractor were Windows hacks, as I called them. I told them I wanted the entire network changed over to the latest format within the week. Well, they decided to try and go over my head to the DOIM, or Director of Information Management on Redstone Arsenal, where they got laughed out the door. So they come dragging their tails back. Now I am ticked that they tried to go over my head, and decide to teach them a lesson. I waited a couple of weeks and then I go in and tell them that I am signing them up for Linux classes because I intend to put the entire network and servers on Apache Linux within a month. The looks on their faces were precious, one guy even looked at me and said, "But Sir, my whole life is Windows." To which I replied, "Then you need a new life and I am going to help you get there." I gave it a week before I told them I was pranking them. LOL, the only one not acting suicidal was that junior contractor.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    21894 times
    Sounds like many of us go back to the early days of personal computing. I think I had the Trash 80 Color 3, the ti99/4a, the Commodore 64, the commodore Plus 4, MAC color classic and SE 30 (with the rotating Radius display). My first work computer was an ALR 386"DX"16 which was the SX 16 with the math co processor and an excited engineer that managed to get 8 megs of ram to be utilized on it. I was doing schematic capture and PSPICE on it so the company footed most of the 5 grand price tag. First portable computer was the Compaq 286. I still have the MACs and the compaq 286 in storage with the batteries removed and initial settings written down so I can get them to fire up again. Now I administer 9 locations networks and IT related stuff as a field service engie. That's my day to day stuff and there's always FEMA activations that get me sent off to far away locations to remind people that normal cell phones don't work and no, they can't print out the movie manuscript that's 1100 pages on the portable inkjet printer.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    5856 times
    If you have an old Windows XP disk, i would disconnect the current drives, use this 'new' drive to boot to Fdisk, delete the partition, build a new partition and format it to NTFS. Take that drive out, reconnect your drives, put the hard drive in its enclosure, boot the computer, plug the new drive in with Windows running and reformat it to NTFS and you should be good to go.

If you want some automated backup software, check the Seagate website for their Seagate Dashboard. One of the better backup softwares that I've used before.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links