Window 10 Rant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Window 10 Rant

Member #
    Liked
    19545 times

Window 10 Rant

This may be a revisit subject as it seems we have had this conversation before.

Up until last night I just kind of got along with Win10. Well that concept has gone out the window ( no pun intended). A little background may help. In the recent past I had received notices about updates. Isn't it supposed to do updates automatically? On 2 occasions I downloaded these specific updates but for whatever reason they weren't working. When I tried to update I would get a message that said something about the version of Win10 I have is out of date and would soon not be supported! Regardless my computer seemed to work just fine and I got tired of messing with it.

Well last night I opened up the laptop and I could not get my gmail account to download. Plus I was getting some message from Google that I was using an unsecure app or some such thing. Just great!

I entered into MS chat and ended up spending some 5+ hours last night doing this mass of updates and downloads. It was close to 1am and I was tired and all the updates had been installed.

So I get up this morning and open MS Outlook and guess what. I still can't get my gmail! I checked with MS update and my computer is up to date. There is some message that comes up after trying to get my gmail but it disappears so fast it can't be read. The message has something about 0x800.... So it looks like I'll be back on MS chat this morning.

If I did my job as poorly as MS, and so many other companies do, I would soon find myself unemployed.

Rant off.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31452 times
    Microsoft recently had 'patch' 1903 and it's really a service pack, a major update of the entire Win10 OS. I had already applied it on my computer, but I was holding off on doing it on my wife's computer until I backed it up. One morning a couple of weeks ago, she couldn't get to anything - she has a budget file on a spreadsheet, and a password file for all of the many logins you have to have these days to pay your bill online. She couldnt get either file to come up. I looked at it and even though the update settings are such that it's supposed to wait for me to tell it to do it, it applied the service pack update overnight, on it's own. As far as I could tell, most of the files in the directory she kept everything in were gone. I opened a ticket with Microsoft, who eventually referred me to the Microsoft store in the mall. They tried to recover the files, but to no avail. She had to manually recreate those files and has been cursing computers ever since. I was able to recover a handful of files, but mostly worthless stuff that wasn't really needed anyway.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is, other than, get a cloud and let the backups happen automatically.
    darbo and silverstring like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    19545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    Microsoft recently had 'patch' 1903 and it's really a service pack, a major update of the entire Win10 OS. I had already applied it on my computer, but I was holding off on doing it on my wife's computer until I backed it up. One morning a couple of weeks ago, she couldn't get to anything - she has a budget file on a spreadsheet, and a password file for all of the many logins you have to have these days to pay your bill online. She couldnt get either file to come up. I looked at it and even though the update settings are such that it's supposed to wait for me to tell it to do it, it applied the service pack update overnight, on it's own. As far as I could tell, most of the files in the directory she kept everything in were gone. I opened a ticket with Microsoft, who eventually referred me to the Microsoft store in the mall. They tried to recover the files, but to no avail. She had to manually recreate those files and has been cursing computers ever since. I was able to recover a handful of files, but mostly worthless stuff that wasn't really needed anyway.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is, other than, get a cloud and let the backups happen automatically.
    Wow what a mess! My sympathy to you and your wife! I think the one thing that annoys me more about computers than anything is that stuff just changes sometimes! I did nothing...why is it changed!!!

Interesting yours did the update automatically, without your permission, and mine wouldn't do the update even when I tried until last night with the MS chat where I had to go to "command prompt" and all that old scary DOS looking stuff!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19545 times
    Update:

It's fixed. Spent a brief time on another MS chat. Guy sucked! Gave me one try and then disconnected. Kiss my grits jerk! Continued on my own and found out to use browser to log into Google and change the gmail settings to use "less secure app". So Google sees MS Outlook as a less secure app?! Great! Plus why was it working before but all of a sudden it was different when I got home from work yesterday. That "change" started this entire 7+ hour odyssey!

Member #
    Liked
    537 times
    WIN 10 is an abomination .
    I'm guessing it was put in place because MS users thought WIN7 was getting old and they wanted something new.
    Like small children. We want something new.

Well, they got new and along with it a crap system.

Most commercial users I know held onto WIN7 until the very last and won't be installing WIN 10.

Why does a system need updates EVERY week??

AFS
    darbo, 45 Forever and troutkiller like this.
    There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    10928 times
    Win10 forces you to make updates. Many of its updates (that I have not downloaded) require a reboot of my computer. Sometimes my PC starts acting weird, gets very slow and just starts locking up the screen. After a while I found out that Win10 wants me to reboot without telling me that it did something I did not have knowledge that it was doing. It seems that every time I reboot, Win10 does a number of updates that I did not know about.

Now I understand why Win10 was initially a free update, so they could lock into owning my data. If the government was doing this it would be illegal, but it is OK for corporations to do this, I do not understand. There is a political movement taking shape that pushes something called data sovereignty, the idea that our data is personal and belongs only to the individual.

Win10 is as invasive as Facebook, Amazon and Google. I removed Facebook from my phone years and a couple of phones ago, yet I still receive Facebook notifications on my phone. (Amazon) Alexa records every thing it can get access to in my house. Both Google and Facebook record my activities outside their applications. Why, none of these tech corporations need any of this data for their business model. Big brother is not the government, it is these corporations.

I see things now about what has come to light about these corporations and it scares me. The government is not allowed to censure us, but Google, Facebook and Amazon and the companies they own do censure our thoughts. Project Veritas brought to light in the 2016 national elections on video 2 of the "Fixers" for the DNC that both said, "We have psychos who we pay to do things." We have the sudden appearance of mass shooters, all of whom are mentally unstable, but who were all Liberals before they committed these crimes. How does the DNC find these people? With all the data they have available, does anyone doubt that these corporations already have the algorithms to identify these people? The result in DC to these attacks (while totally ignoring Chicago and other big cities run by Dems) has been the idea of "Red Flag" laws. Somehow I think these corporations will be providing the red flags for the government by running their algorithms on our data. I find it interesting that while the government can not legally collect data on Americans, it is perfectly legal for the government to analyze data given to them by these corporations. It is becoming clear to me that these corporations will be the organizations who will control our Constitutional Rights. They don't have to take all of our guns, only the guns of those who might oppose them. Just like they don't have to take everyone's right to free speech, only the words of those who oppose them.

In any case there is an easy way out from under Win10, it is called Linux.
    darbo, brojohn and texastaurusguy like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    19545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Win10 forces you to make updates. Many of its updates (that I have not downloaded) require a reboot of my computer. Sometimes my PC starts acting weird, gets very slow and just starts locking up the screen. After a while I found out that Win10 wants me to reboot without telling me that it did something I did not have knowledge that it was doing. It seems that every time I reboot, Win10 does a number of updates that I did not know about.

Now I understand why Win10 was initially a free update, so they could lock into owning my data. If the government was doing this it would be illegal, but it is OK for corporations to do this, I do not understand. There is a political movement taking shape that pushes something called data sovereignty, the idea that our data is personal and belongs only to the individual.

Win10 is as invasive as Facebook, Amazon and Google. I removed Facebook from my phone years and a couple of phones ago, yet I still receive Facebook notifications on my phone. (Amazon) Alexa records every thing it can get access to in my house. Both Google and Facebook record my activities outside their applications. Why, none of these tech corporations need any of this data for their business model. Big brother is not the government, it is these corporations.

I see things now about what has come to light about these corporations and it scares me. The government is not allowed to censure us, but Google, Facebook and Amazon and the companies they own do censure our thoughts. Project Veritas brought to light in the 2016 national elections on video 2 of the "Fixers" for the DNC that both said, "We have psychos who we pay to do things." We have the sudden appearance of mass shooters, all of whom are mentally unstable, but who were all Liberals before they committed these crimes. How does the DNC find these people? With all the data they have available, does anyone doubt that these corporations already have the algorithms to identify these people? The result in DC to these attacks (while totally ignoring Chicago and other big cities run by Dems) has been the idea of "Red Flag" laws. Somehow I think these corporations will be providing the red flags for the government by running their algorithms on our data. I find it interesting that while the government can not legally collect data on Americans, it is perfectly legal for the government to analyze data given to them by these corporations. It is becoming clear to me that these corporations will be the organizations who will control our Constitutional Rights. They don't have to take all of our guns, only the guns of those who might oppose them. Just like they don't have to take everyone's right to free speech, only the words of those who oppose them.

In any case there is an easy way out from under Win10, it is called Linux.
    I have thought about that change many times but it scares me about as much as the rest of what you wrote!

Member #
    Liked
    31774 times
    I was just talking to my wife about this. The computer market is more ripe for a major shakeup than any commercial field I've ever seen.

Mac folks don't complain too much (I think their cerebral compliance chips give a warning jolt when they start to consider it), but Mac products are like Nikon to me. I listen to people praise them, I try them out, and they make no sense to me. It's like I'm a different species from the people who think they are so great. When you talk to people about Linux, there's a lot of "well, but..." and it's a big leap. And then there are those of us enduring Microsoft.

If the situation were similar in the car world, it would be like everyone who has an automatic transmission being significantly dissatisfied with their car in a fundamental way, but not having any real option. I'd bet over half of the people who use computers to any significant extent are hoping that someone comes up with a new, revolutionary system so they can flip the bird to Microsoft and stampede away.
    darbo, jwc007, Desperado and 2 others like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    I noticed a lot of problems when I was upgraded to 1903. I rolled back to 1803 and things are better. I don't hate Win 10 any less though!
    darbo and troutkiller like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10928 times
    Linux is not as scary as most people think. Download on a USB stick, then reboot with the stick and you are running Linux. If your computer does not like a flavor of Linux, try another. Most automatically identify and load your drivers. There are so many distros that one is sure to work for you.

I like PCLinuxOS, it works right from the start, looks and acts a lot like old windows. Getting away from the command line was a priority for me, I could use it, but I did not want to keep relearning commands. I wanted click and run. There is a large online community that will help you through any problems and they have a nice monthly news magazine that tackles new programs and "how to's" for many older programs. They are a good source of information and help. Plus, everything is free to use.

But PCLinuxOS is not the only Linux Distro that operates this way. As I said, if one distro does not work for you try another.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links