Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Window 10 Rant

Member #
    Liked
    5443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldcomputerguy View Post
    Dwhite
    If it wasn't for AutoCAD I would be running Linux only. Cannot get it to run correctly in any emulator or virtual machine.

If you have a big enough machine, meaning good INTEL CPU, minimum 16GB ram, etc., you can run linux and run Windows 7 or 8, and maybe 10 as a virtual machine, in a sandbox type configuration. I used to do that for our users before I retired and they loved it. I put an icon on the linux desktop for the Windows to start up and run. Just a thought. PM me if you want to know more about virtual machines. Or not. Lol.
    I've been fooling with Linux since 1995. Done a lot with it.

I tried WINE. I tried VMWare Player. I think I tried a Window$ 7 VM under Ubuntu. No joy.
    Might have to try it again though.

My zBook has an i7 CPU and 16GB of ram with a dedicated Nvidia video card. Awesome machine.

All the Best,
    D. White
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Member #
    Liked
    989 times
    Not trying to hi jack this OP but I am in need of a new laptop computer, mine has a built in Abacus instead of calculator! ...about 10 years old and been looking ....what is a Chromebook? Are they good?
    darbo and CWB like this.
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

Member #
    Liked
    19564 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark7mod0 View Post
    Not trying to hi jack this OP but I am in need of a new laptop computer, mine has a built in Abacus instead of calculator! ...about 10 years old and been looking ....what is a Chromebook? Are they good?
    I don't have any personal experience with the Chromebook so can't help there. Hopefully some folks will come along to help out. If you don't get enough responses in this thread definitely start a thread of your own on the subject.
    mark7mod0 and jwc007 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    If all you want to do is internet and email the Chromebook will work just fine. A Chromebook is more akin to a smart phone that can't make phone calls than it is to a traditional computer. If you need to do much else with it look elsewhere. a Chromebook doesn't have a traditional hard drive. Instead it has flash storage - usually 16 or 32GB, so you can't really save much to it. Your storage and your applications will live "in the cloud." You could attach an external USB hard drive if you wanted to, though. I also doubt a Chromebook will last as long as your old laptop has. Most are made with pretty low end parts.
    GreenWolf70 and jwc007 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2451 times
    Dennisturner did a good job of explaining the Chromebook. They are good for that..... now your computer is 10 years old? All 4 of ours are that old. The wife's runs win 10, all the others run Ubuntu Mate 16.04. Its one of the Linux OS's ( or distros)....They run fine and I do not have any issues with the Linux OS.
    I recommend you try Ubuntu Mate or XFCE, or maybe Linux Mint Cinnamon or Mate, or XFCE before you spend money on a new computer or Chromebook.
    troutkiller, slong115 and darbo like this.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    1137 times
    Chromebooks are great for surfing the web. The operating system is Google's proprietary version of Linux (ChromeOS). It's like a tablet but with a keyboard. They are pretty much locked down unless you enable developer mode, then it's more like a full fledged computer. ChromeOS is safe from viruses by and large. The office suite is Google Docs, so your docs and spreadsheets are up online. The biggest downside is that they are cheaply made generally and not particularly fast. The batteries last about 200 charging cycles. I've been using Samsung Chromebook 3's that only ran me $100-150. The biggest upside is that closing the lid puts it in sleep mode and that works flawlessly (unlike Windows laptops which always seem to hiccup coming off sleep mode), so I can close the lid and throw it in a carry bag then pick right up where I left off. Battery life is 7 hours plus. These Samsungs weigh well under 3 pounds, pleasantly light.
    Last edited by troutkiller; 09-16-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    darbo likes this.
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post

I tried WINE. I tried VMWare Player. I think I tried a Window$ 7 VM under Ubuntu. No joy.

My zBook has an i7 CPU and 16GB of ram with a dedicated Nvidia video card. Awesome machine.
    We ran VirtualBox with very good luck. It was very stable once installed correctly. Eventually we ended up running VBox Linux servers inside Linux servers for our gateways to the outside world. Made it easy to isolate attempted hacks, virus, etc., and always kept a copy ready to re-install. Anyway, that's how we did it. VMware works well but we had better luck with Vbox. You do have to load the correct kernel with Vbox.
    Last edited by jwc007; 09-17-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: HTML correction for quote
    darbo likes this.
    My 2 cents.
    Most guns out shoot most people.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2547 times
    [QUOTE=grumpyoldcomputerguy;5480129]
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post

My zBook has an i7 CPU and 16GB of ram with a dedicated Nvidia video card. Awesome machine. /QUOTE]

We ran VirtualBox with very good luck. It was very stable once installed correctly. Eventually we ended up running VBox Linux servers inside Linux servers for our gateways to the outside world. Made it easy to isolate attempted hacks, virus, etc., and always kept a copy ready to re-install. Anyway, that's how we did it. VMware works well but we had better luck with Vbox. You do have to load the correct kernel with Vbox.

I've used VirtualBox for a couple of years at work (my employer wasn't interested in buying VMWare) and I'm pretty impressed with it. I've only used it with Linux (both RHEL and Lubuntu) so I don't know if it is as diverse as VMWare in running various different OS's. I've used VMWare for 20 years or more and while it has its quirks, it is very stable. If I didn't have a VMWare license, I wouldn't hesitate to use VirtualBox at home, considering it is free and has been very stable in the limited role I use it.
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    989 times
    TY for the replies to my question. Looks like Chromebook is not what I am looking for. Appreciate the help.
    darbo likes this.
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

Member #
    Liked
    2261 times
    Windows is why I run a Mac. I used Parallels for a few years for a work required Windows program.
    darbo and william like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links