New technology is amazing!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New technology is amazing!

Member #
    Liked
    6212 times

Lightbulb New technology is amazing!

I am very often amazed as I see the technology that seems to be developing faster and faster that is available to the consumer today. I mean I am old enough to remember a crank telephone on a party line. I remember an aunt that we would visit when I was a kid and she had an actual outhouse. My grandmother used a potbelly stove in her kitchen for warmth in Winter. When you look at these things and then look around At what is available to day you realize just how much we Have seen in our lives.

Case in point… I use a Samsung Galaxy note 9 cell phone. It has way more ability then I will be able to take advantage of. I have my phone on a lease from Sprint that I have used for years. One of the benefits of my Sprint plan is that I can lease my phone for a very reasonable amount of money and after 12 months I can just turn it in for the newest version and continue The lease with the newer phone.

I got a letter to day from Sprint telling me that the new Galaxy note 10 will be available in September. They explained the phone and listed all the things that the phone is capable of doing. Just like with the phone I have now I will probably never be able to use half of what the phone has for a potential. One of the abilities of the phone to me appears incredible. The phone has four cameras and three camera programs. I won't list everything you can do with the phone's cameras but one thing stuck in my mind. The user has the ability to take a picture of an object and the camera then makes it a 3-D picture. The camera then stores the 3-D picture in the same format as a 3-D printer and is capable of uploading the picture into any 3-D printer for manufacture.

Maybe I'm just beyond understanding or maybe I am just too old but to me This ability of The new phone is incredible. Laugh at me if you will but I can't help it I am absolutely amazed.

Don
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    11361 times
    Another old geezer here. I have used outhouses and crank phones. It was always fun with party lines on the farm phones. All you had to do, was pick up the phone and listen in, participate in someone else's phone conversations. Other gone by the wayside tech:
    steering column manual shifters
    Push button auto transmissions
    My first cell phone was a carry bag phone, weighed about 6 lbs.
    Remember pagers!!!
    4-track, reel to reel, 8 tracks in cars
    penny candy
    Schwin sting rays
    Prell shampoo - which I still use
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    We went to a small museum in Portage WI. It was a "typical" house of the 1950's. The kitchen had several of my small tools, such as the can opener. We bought the can opener on our honeymoon. It had a "lifetime" guarantee. I guess they meant it.
    kschilk and 777Driver like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2780 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    I am very often amazed as I see the technology that seems to be developing faster and faster that is available to the consumer today. I mean I am old enough to remember a crank telephone on a party line. I remember an aunt that we would visit when I was a kid and she had an actual outhouse. My grandmother used a potbelly stove in her kitchen for warmth in Winter. When you look at these things and then look around At what is available to day you realize just how much we Have seen in our lives.

Case in point… I use a Samsung Galaxy note 9 cell phone. It has way more ability then I will be able to take advantage of. I have my phone on a lease from Sprint that I have used for years. One of the benefits of my Sprint plan is that I can lease my phone for a very reasonable amount of money and after 12 months I can just turn it in for the newest version and continue The lease with the newer phone.

I got a letter to day from Sprint telling me that the new Galaxy note 10 will be available in September. They explained the phone and listed all the things that the phone is capable of doing. Just like with the phone I have now I will probably never be able to use half of what the phone has for a potential. One of the abilities of the phone to me appears incredible. The phone has four cameras and three camera programs. I won't list everything you can do with the phone's cameras but one thing stuck in my mind. The user has the ability to take a picture of an object and the camera then makes it a 3-D picture. The camera then stores the 3-D picture in the same format as a 3-D printer and is capable of uploading the picture into any 3-D printer for manufacture.

Maybe I'm just beyond understanding or maybe I am just too old but to me This ability of The new phone is incredible. Laugh at me if you will but I can't help it I am absolutely amazed.

Don
    Imagine what you could have done with a picture of Raquel Welch back in the day!
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    22713 times
    Saw my 1st TV when I was 6.
    I used a crank telephone made out of Bakelite to ring the operator.
    Got my first transistor radio when I was a senior in high school.
    I was born before we had dirt.
    Also I just found out I have indoor plumbing.
    silverstring and 777Driver like this.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    188 times
    My Wife just got a new Buick Encore with a screen as large as my first t v set. Got all the instructions from the dealer when we picked it up.
    All she cares about is the fact that her phone works and the 2 AM stations she listens to work!
    Now I have to wait for my 8 year old Great Granddaughter to come over to show us how to work all the rest of the stuff it does.
    Glad I still have a working flip phone. When that goes????

Member #
    Liked
    4061 times
    Welcome to the 21st century Don
    NativeTexan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    34069 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    We went to a small museum in Portage WI. It was a "typical" house of the 1950's. The kitchen had several of my small tools, such as the can opener. We bought the can opener on our honeymoon. It had a "lifetime" guarantee. I guess they meant it.
    We have witnessed the conquest of the planet of the apes. Evidence of the advanced civilization that existed on this planet prior to 1985, will remain for the next couple to several hundred years. Everything built by the primitive society of monkeys since then, reverts to dust in a matter of days.
    slong115 and 777Driver like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    16447 times
    All that stuff plus iceboxes (refrigerators today, for you whippersnappers) that used real ice. When the iceman cometh, he had to climb three flights of stairs with a 50-pound block of ice on his back. By god, they were real men in those days. Terlet tank mounted high on the wall, flushed with a pull chain. Uncle's outhouse uphill from the hand-pump well. Double-pumping the clutch to find overdrive. High-beam and starter buttons on the floor. The time they caught me and forced me to wear shoes.

Well, mebbe not that last bit.
    silverstring and 777Driver like this.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    11142 times
    I just read where crank phones are all the rage with the preppers. The price of a surplus TA-312 field phone will probably be going up as a result. I don't think any of the preppers have noticed that you can fish with a TA-312.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links