Not exactly parka and mukluks weather....
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Not exactly parka and mukluks weather....

Member #
    Liked
    33083 times

Not exactly parka and mukluks weather....

......it's been just plain stupid hot, over 100F most of the day and the humidity is over 75%. Luckily, a heavy t-storm is comin' through so with the hail and the sun finally gone down, it's plunged to a nipply 88F. It reminded me of how when I was a kid and on hot days like this, the firemen would open several fire plugs around town so the kids could cool off in the spray. I can't remember the last time I've seen or even heard of that being done anywhere so I assume it's no longer permitted, likely for liability reasons......anyone know for sure?
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13377 times
    Yeah, they quit that. Something about old guys and speedos chasing the kids off. Kids complained they couldn’t tell if the old guys were actually wearing a speedo.

kschilk likes this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 18

Member #
    Liked
    3793 times

Warm Spell

Today was probably the hottest day of the year and the hottest in a couple summers.

We own an old home that was built 1946/47 and was most likely a summer cottage for the Chicago crowd after the war. I know for fact that it is not very well insulated and there is no central air. So one window a/c and one portable 12000btu unit it didn't keep up. At 7am this morning it was 77* in here and by noon to 3pm it was maintaining 80*. Then the full sun hit the west side of the house and was soon up to 85*, at 9pm and the sun finally down the temp is falling slowly and I can feel the humidity going down.

Anyways I'm sitting here in a pair of gym type shorts and no shirt. I was teasing the wife that I was going to close the blinds, lock the doors and sit naked and she piped back that if I did tat she was going to take pictures and post them to the forums for all my friends to see. This woman has no sense of humor! Also I am just 5 houses from the lake yet they close the beaches at 10pm and will ticket of caught after closing.
    GhostHorse, bobbojama and kschilk like this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1326 times
    The lake must be cooler than the air. Take that lawn-chair down in the water to the three-foot line, take a cooler of Old Milwaukee, and spend the afternoon underwater.

Let her photograph THAT!
    kschilk likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    31190 times
    And here I was feeling sorry for myself; it touched 90 in Santa Fe today. With 22% humidity. In general, I'd rather have 59 degrees and clear, but in weather like today a siesta in a recliner is niiiiiice.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    7349 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    ......it's been just plain stupid hot, over 100F most of the day and the humidity is over 75%. Luckily, a heavy t-storm is comin' through so with the hail and the sun finally gone down, it's plunged to a nipply 88F. It reminded me of how when I was a kid and on hot days like this, the firemen would open several fire plugs around town so the kids could cool off in the spray. I can't remember the last time I've seen or even heard of that being done anywhere so I assume it's no longer permitted, likely for liability reasons......anyone know for sure?
    Only 75% humidity?

Man, are you lucky!

It's 77 and 93% humidity at 10:50pm. My glasses are fogging up just walking out onto the porch.
    Last edited by jtg452; 07-19-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    kschilk likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Member #
    Liked
    3793 times
    9:45PM Still 85* with humidity at 84% and the winds are calm. Heat index is still at 98*, At one point the heat index here reached 118*

The lake here is very shallow around the shores. In most places you can go 200' into the lake and not be waist deep. Water temp is probably about 75 right now until you get deeper.
    Madison Wis. had a sub-station blow up today and thousands lost power! No ac.
    kschilk likes this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    19067 times
    I've heard about heat and humidity like that, rumors 'bout it's so thick, you have to cut it with a knife just to breath. I'm curious - what knife works best?
    kschilk and Flash60601 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1326 times
    City I live in USED to do that, but now they have opened the "Civic Aquatic Center", and the admission is (REVENUE ENHANCEMENT)

Rates2019 Boro Resident
    Adult (Ages 18+)$9.50 $5.50
    Youth (Ages 3 &older)$9.50 $5.50
    Children under 3 yrs of ageFreeFree
    Senior Citizen (Ages 60+)$6.50 $3.50
    Twilight (after 5 PM)$6.50 $3.50
    Chaperone/Non-Swimmer $5.50$3.

Days / Events-3rd Thursday of the month$5.50 $4.50-
    Teen / Adult Night$5 $3Discounted Weekend Pass(Saturday / Sunday, 1-8 PM) -Sat/Sun Adult &Youth$16$9-Sat/Sun Sr. Citizen$10$6Discount Pass Booklets-Book of 10 passes$85 (savings of $1/off each admission -$10 total savings)-Book of 15 passes $120 (savings of $1.50 off each admission -$22.50 totalsavings)

And the thing is, you have to make a trip to the borough hall with a sheaf of documentation to get your "Borough Resident Status'"verified before you can get the discount at the gate.
    kschilk likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32604 times
    10:00 PM and 88° here, after a high 101° today.
    Kevin Keith and kschilk like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links