Fence experts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fence experts

Member #
    Liked
    4655 times

Fence experts

I need fence help. I can't figure out how to brace a corner post that is a 45° angle. The post winds up collapsing towards the middle from the top. I don't really want a brace in the middle of the yard but I can't see any other way.

Member #
    Liked
    743 times
    What type of fence is it, one of My first jobs after finishing High School was working for a fence company We did chain link and wood privacy fences.
    The posts were generally sunk 2 to 3 feet into the ground depending on the height of the fence and cemented in place with the structure of the fence providing additional support, they weren't going anywhere.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10572 times
    Not sure what kind of fence we're talking about, but all fences have posts, and one method is to come off the corner in both directions and sink an additional couple of posts if necessary. They should be spaced such that the diagonal brace to be added next is at somewhere close to 45 deg. The braces, of course, extend from the base of the new posts to the top of the corner post. Depending on the forces on the corner post you may need to bed the new ones in concrete.

Just something I have done in a past life. YMMV...
    .452dia likes this.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22049 times
    Have faith. With enough concrete anything is possible!
    jimb1972 likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    4655 times
    It's 5 foot no climb welded wire. I've got 8 inch corner post 3 feet in the ground. No cement in the bottom of the holes. They pay held fine when I stretched the wire but after 4 or 5 days the post on the corner starts typing toward the middle letting the fence start to sag.
    Name:  20190717_170823.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  213.7 KB
    Name:  20190717_170928.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  130.4 KB
    Last edited by mark38090; 07-17-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    668 times
    Use two posts. One for each fence line.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46283 times
    Hit up Youtube, I'm sure someone has a video on it. Post a picture, this may help others see the issue clearly.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    19048 times
    Set the corner posts in concrete. That is what my dad and grandfather did on the farm in 1951, and last I checked, it was still holding.
    slimpickens likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8002 times
    My corner posts at a minimum consists of three posts for short spans, and five posts for the longer runs - the actual corner post being larger diameter than the rest.. Always set in CONCRETE with either two or four braces. No matter how you build it, if you use cheap jap or Chinese wire, it will stretch and sag - even a temperature change can cause some sag. Buy American wire if you want it to last.
    Last edited by cassrh; 07-17-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7569 times
    I would not try to set fence posts/poles without a good base of concrete. I rented an auger and knocked it all out in an afternoon. Auger cost $40 for a day.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links