Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Any investors in here?

Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    36672 times

Any investors in here?

I'm no Warren Buffett, but I do try to manage my own meager retirement fund. One thing I've never been interested in is the futures market, especially things like grain or cattle futures. However, if anyone here likes to live dangerously, I happened on a bit of information last week that might be of interest to you.

A high school classmate who now lives in south/central South Dakota mentioned in passing that a lot of the farmers in her area had not even planted because of overly wet weather. Normally by this time of year, corn is well over 6' tall and tasseled out and soy beans are waste high. If they haven't planted, they stand very little chance of a crop this year.

Soy Bean planting map: https://www.agriculture.com/crops/pr...nting-progress

Corn planting map: https://www.agriculture.com/crops/pr...nting-progress

On a different note: Right now, a lot of people are dancing in the streets because the Dow hit a record high last week. I keep telling people in the political forum I help moderate that a record high Dow doesn't mean anything. The day it hit that high, I lost $2,000 in the first 15 minutes of trading and it didn't come back. Conversely, between July 3 and July 9, it dropped 200 points and I made $6,000.

I'm starting to try to figure out which funds I'm going to sell off in the next 6~9 months so I'm well clear of the markets before the election.
    loudviking likes this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8234 times
    Michigan has been hit by massive flooding also, my dad said all the corn crops are rotating to Soybeans.

They are not even 8" off the ground and the fields are half filled with water.

We may be in for a rough year folks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    4929 times
    Dow goes up -> lots of profit taking -> prices drop. But I think your tips on commodities futures might be considered insider information so try to keep the chatter down. Or here... just whisper in my ear.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    22069 times
    That's all public information so it should be priced in already. As far as selling out because you think the market is going to fall, why take the tax hit? Just hedge your equity exposure.
    jimb1972 and Trotline like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2721 times
    I'm doing nicely, the average across all my funds has been up 17.25%. I prefer mutual funds to spread out the risk and rewards.

However, here is a tip to find the bubbles and get out. Any individual stock out pacing the inflation by 18% or more is possible bubble or the risk got very high.

A good fund should double every 5 to 7 years. That's where I'm at with my moderate risk. I'm in decent funds that don't fall too badly and recover quickly. When the market is bad, I increase my investments in the good funds, when they recover, my rewards are even better.

I've only had three bad years in the last 20, the rest were not far off from the 7% to 9% annual earnings. The things to invest in is what drives real wealth.

1. Agriculture--everyone has to eat
    2. Natural resources--It takes materials to build or make
    3. Energy development--Do you really think the electrical companies and refineries lose money?
    4. Manufacturing of durable goods--some one needs a new car, stove, refrigerator, dozer, plane.
    5. Oil, gas, and Coal make up a separate category from natural resources. Anything that can be used to power and move the world is necessary for a functionally working economy.

Because of what I look at, I beat my advisor on a regular basis. It's not by much, but a win is still a win, and adds up over 20 years. To a tune of $395,000 vs $524,000. I was picking on him last week.

My backup plan if the economy collapses, lead and steel, even money will be worthless. This is where a 50 round box of .22 will be worth more than gold.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Thanks for the info and keep making that dough.

Member #
    Liked
    1131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post
    My backup plan if the economy collapses, lead and steel, even money will be worthless. This is where a 50 round box of .22 will be worth more than gold.
    ...make sure you get along with your neighbors. That will be make or break as much as anything.
    Trotline likes this.
    God wishes, the Devil expects.

Member #
    Liked
    10590 times
    I noticed the wet weather has caused some problems too, but it looks like local farmers found a way. In the local farmers market I have noticed that corn has made an appearance, but it is all off the mountain where the wet weather did not affect the fields so much. Down on the bottoms, there is corn in the fields about 6 foot high, still all dark green, but they have not popped tassels yet. I am assuming that means they got in the ground late. Corn soaks up the moisture in the ground, the only real worry is fungus and I did not see any signs of that, but I probably should talk to a few farmers and see if it has been an issue. You usually see yellow spots in the corn fields where the ground was either too dry, or lacked nutrients. I haven't seen any yellow in those corn fields around here.

I just haven't been looking at soybeans, but I did notice that no one is planting cotton, or if they did it got a really late start. There was a lot of standing water in the fields in north Alabama this year.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30890 times
    I'm too stupid to invest, but I'm smart enough to let Merrill Lynch manage my retirement in mutual funds.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46310 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I'm too stupid to invest, but I'm smart enough to let Merrill Lynch manage my retirement in mutual funds.
    I have my retirement money in managed funds, I feel it is safer there as I don't have the time to manage it and research it myself.

About a year ago I did decided to do a little trading on my own just to see what it is about. I originally dropped $1,000 into my account and later another $250. I invested in smaller value stocks that have decent dividends. It has been about a year now and factoring in the Buy and future Sell fees I am just about breaking even. Stocks are always up and down a little but the dividends are paying off. While the $1,250 invested is not a lot of money it is well worth the learning experience so I am glad I did it.
    NativeTexan and Trotline like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links