Looking for a "newer" truck.......ugh!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Looking for a "newer" truck.......ugh!!

Member #
    Liked
    3512 times

Looking for a "newer" truck.......ugh!!

Well, we decided it's time for me to find a new rig. My '93 F150 needs about $4K in work right now(clutch, brakes, all body mounts, motor mounts, IFS bushings, and leaf spring bushings). Truck still runs like a dream, and will become a resto project. I'm fond of the old '93-'96 square bodies, and the 4.9L is bulletproof.

So, I'm looking at a few different Ford and Dodge rigs locally, 2003-2007. Our 2001 5.9L Durango(what became the 5.7L HEMI) ran almost 300K before a suicidal deer took it out earlier this year, and never had a major mechanical issue. My only reservation wit those year Fords is the 5.4L Triton engine. I've heard the horror stories of spark plugs blowing out, cam phasers crapping out, and the dreaded timing chain issue. I also have heard of the plugs snapping off when you try to change them, and needing an unobtanium tool to remove them. I do like the look/feel of the interiors for the later year Ford trucks. The biggest issue is 4x4 is a requirement for getting out of my place in the winter, and a stick shift would be a bonus(but not a deal breaker). I did look at a couple of Chevys, however, they just felt like cheap throw-away trucks.

So, any Triton owners here with any tips/tricks/warning signs? I've never financed a rig before, always been cash-n-carry, but just dumped my truck fund into getting the wife her '03 F-250 from her aunt. Any tips?

Thanks.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2780 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post
    Well, we decided it's time for me to find a new rig. My '93 F150 needs about $4K in work right now(clutch, brakes, all body mounts, motor mounts, IFS bushings, and leaf spring bushings). Truck still runs like a dream, and will become a resto project. I'm fond of the old '93-'96 square bodies, and the 4.9L is bulletproof.

So, I'm looking at a few different Ford and Dodge rigs locally, 2003-2007. Our 2001 5.9L Durango(what became the 5.7L HEMI) ran almost 300K before a suicidal deer took it out earlier this year, and never had a major mechanical issue. My only reservation wit those year Fords is the 5.4L Triton engine. I've heard the horror stories of spark plugs blowing out, cam phasers crapping out, and the dreaded timing chain issue. I also have heard of the plugs snapping off when you try to change them, and needing an unobtanium tool to remove them. I do like the look/feel of the interiors for the later year Ford trucks. The biggest issue is 4x4 is a requirement for getting out of my place in the winter, and a stick shift would be a bonus(but not a deal breaker). I did look at a couple of Chevys, however, they just felt like cheap throw-away trucks.

So, any Triton owners here with any tips/tricks/warning signs? I've never financed a rig before, always been cash-n-carry, but just dumped my truck fund into getting the wife her '03 F-250 from her aunt. Any tips?

Thanks.
    I have two friends with Ford vans with Triton motors. One has had no problem, the other has had a couple of spark plug issues (breaking off). I don't think I'd take the risk, but you never know.

Member #
    Liked
    7650 times
    After my 03’ F150 cratered i bought a 2014 F150 XLT SCREW with the 5.0 . Love it and not regretted it . Got 114k on it so far . 2014 is the last year of the all metal truck . 2015 and newer are aluminum . Even so they are still built Ford Tuff !!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33525 times
    My last three pickups have had the 5.0. Personally, I think they are the best engines Ford makes. All have been trouble free, just routine maintenance.
    kschilk and RonPT24/7 like this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    7933 times
    There is a TSB on the Triton 5.4 about new one piece spark plugs to replace the troublesome two piece plugs. Beyond that, the variable cam timing phasors are a known problem, the timing chain length and stretch are another (the danged thing could make a belt for Rosie O'Donnell), and other problems. I have generally steered well clear of the 2004 and later Triton.

Now with Dodge, I have little knowledge, as they are avoided in my circle of friends. The common phrase around us is "You do know 'Dodge' and 'avoid' are synonyms". Kind of spells out our feelings on them after one guy had multiple problems with his, including front end shimmy (death wobble), transmission going bad at 70,000, cracked dash pad (notorious in Arizona), and other minor nickel and dime problems under warranty.

Our newer pickup of choice is the 1999 to 2007 classic Chevrolet or GMC. The 2007 classic shares the same body as the 2006. After the new body style 2007, you can really see why General Motors needed bailed out.

With that being said, good luck in you quest in a "new" pickup.
    "Our indulgence wore out with you A LONG time ago".
    - Rep. Jim Jordan to Rep. Adam Schiff about the "Impeachment Inquiry"

As has that of the majority of Americans.

Member #
    Liked
    3909 times
    Tough call in my mind. GM and Dodge are rust buckets up here in Wisconsin and the Large Ford V8 frighten me to death. Closest I could come to a newer truck would be a late 08 Canyon or Colorado if I could find one that was garage kept.

I'm now driving a 05 Toyota Highlander that I inherited. Only has 103k on it and was garage kept. Downside is previous owner was a heavy smoker.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    11142 times
    A good friend of mine had a Harley Davidson edition F-150 that he really liked and then he decided to have the plugs changed, the local Ford dealership charged him $1,000 to change the plugs. My friend was so mad he called Ford HQ and supposedly talked to a Ford VP about the cost of changing a set of plugs. Shortly after that call he sold that truck and vowed never to buy another Ford product.

Me, I have a beat up old 1983 Chevy Silverado that is still running fine on it original 305 cubic inch V-8 and transmission. Paid $1,500 for it in 2005 as a vehicle to haul stuff for the wife.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    I had good luck with Ford trucks up to the middle 90s and then numerous problems. I have had several Dodge vehicles everything from a new 04 2500 4wd that crapped transmissions every 14 to 16 months, to their high end decked out vans that would need a transmission every 40,000 miles and engine rebuild at 85,000. Never will I ever buy a Chrysler/Dodge again. Raised in a anti Chevy household and yet here I sit with a 06 Silverado that has 185,000 miles on it and all I have had to do is standard maintenance, she may get a paint job in a few months as the Florida sun can be tough on the roof and hood of uncovered vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Desperado and GreenWolf70 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11142 times
    Aren't Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep now all FIATS.
    kschilk, Desperado and GhostHorse like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    34069 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Aren't Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep now all FIATS.
    Yep, 'cept the RAM trucks (so far).
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links