Anyone switching dog food brands because of the FDA study?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Anyone switching dog food brands because of the FDA study?

Member #
    Liked
    738 times

Anyone switching dog food brands because of the FDA study?

...https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...se-070219.html

It's kind of got me spooked because we feed our Aussie Taste of the Wild. But what brand/product do we switch to?

Any thoughts?
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. - C. Mallouhi (author)

Member #
    Liked
    2004 times
    This sounds very fishy. A few cases get reported to the FDA, and they release a report and name names. Is there any mandatory reporting? How many dogs die and no report is ever made? This sounds like a minute sample that was published as if it is definitive.

How much did someone get paid to release these results and scare people away from brands? Look for the brand that isn't there, and follow the money.
    Last edited by DeltaBravoKS; 07-05-2019 at 05:42 AM.
    nevadabob likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21413 times
    A few years back, many of the major companies were having dogs die with no determined reason why. Come to find out they were getting their food manufactured in China and the Chinese were adding Melamine to boost the protein percentage. Melamine is deadly to dogs. That's right when companies like Call of the wild and Blue buffalo started to take off because they weren't using chinese based foods.
    nevadabob likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21865 times
    No real answers yet. You could:

1. Ask your vet.
    2. Screen your dog for DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy).

As far as diet goes, I can't find any research advocating a diet change for dogs without DCM.

For those unfamiliar with this issue: There's been a statistically significant increase in cases of DCM in dogs not genetically disposed to developing it. There's a correlation between the increase and the use of all these fancy-pants dog foods which are termed "BEG" diets (Boutique, Exotic, Grain Free) but they really haven't figured out what's going on yet. The numbers they are working with are very small. It's a work in progress.

https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/fu...ma.253.11.1390
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    32824 times
    Yep......they had me right up to the word "may".
    nevadabob likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    21865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    This sounds very fishy. A few cases get reported to the FDA, and they release a report and name names. Is there any mandatory reporting? How many dogs die and no report is ever made? This sounds like a minute sample that was published as if it is definitive.

How much did someone get paid to release these results and scare people away from brands? Look for the brand that isn't there, and follow the money.

From what I've read the FDA has been crystal clear not to jump to any conclusions, and the problems with their data.
    nevadabob and Flash60601 like this.
    Definition of clip

2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7508 times
    Can't get my dogs to eat the expensive stuff...they like the pedigree pouches and Ol' Roy pouches best. Everything else gets left untouched or possibly pushed around the bowl again.
    Kevin Keith and nevadabob like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    21865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    Can't get my dogs to eat the expensive stuff...they like the pedigree pouches and Ol' Roy pouches best. Everything else gets left untouched or possibly pushed around the bowl again.
    You're clear, the DCM issue is all with dry food.
    nevadabob likes this.
    Definition of clip

Member #
    Liked
    47386 times
    When we jump into our wayback machine, we find canines are scavengers and carnivores. They eat meat and bones, raw bones, not cooked bones.
    If you try and make your canine a vegan, or you just want them to eat healthy (imposing yourself on them) by giving them food made of peas and carrots, you may be asking for trouble.

Give them a good quality food without a bunch of fillers. If you don't know if it has fillers, look at his waste, there will be big piles of it. Good food doesn't create a lot of waste.
    As a dog ages, cut down on the protein percentages in the food.
    Oh yeah, there's a very good chance you're overfeeding your dog, as well.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Our dogs died years ago, one small at 16 years in 2006 and one large breed at 10 years in 2013 so this is dated anecdotal info. They ate Ol' Roy by the big bags full their whole lives. They ate it and were active dogs. Dog food hasn't changed much since then I bet. I just don't worry about this stuff too much.
    nevadabob likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links