Anyone switching dog food brands because of the FDA study? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Anyone switching dog food brands because of the FDA study?

Member #
    Liked
    32827 times
    We don't use "dog food" anymore. Our dog gets a hamburger and oatmeal mix twice per day. At supper, he also gets a li'l pumpkin pie filling for a stool softener and some green pepper chunks. He also loves the green peppers as treats.
    nevadabob likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    3791 times
    Food manufacturers have already proven time and time again they don't care much for humans (surely there are complex cost/profit margin with law suits algorithms being run) so for dogs I figure it's a hundred times worse if not more. Much better to make your own dog food if you don't mind doing it every few days. There's a million recipes online that can be made for far less money than most of the stuff that pretends to be healthy at the store. https://www.aforkstale.com/easy-home...kpot-dog-food/

As for the companies out there, of all the research I did years ago (and I shudder to remember), one of the few companies that I trust are these folks. https://www.grandmalucys.com/ Their food comes freeze dried, just scoop out what you think you need, add warm water and walla, instant dog food. I try to keep a 10 lb bag on the shelf at all times as it would be a perfect MRE style food if the poop should ever really hit the fan.
    nevadabob and TrucksNCoffee like this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    30883 times
    A few years ago, we lost a Golden Retriever completely out of the blue. We thought he was in perfect health, and he was running around one minute and laid down for the last time the next minute. Part of the way I coped was to carefully study dog food quality. We were feeding our dogs Purina ONE. After my study, we stopped. In simple terms, the conclusion I came to was the first three ingredients should be animal proteins; fish, chicken meal, beef, etc. And you don't want corn anywhere in the list, but especially in the top five. Manufacturers like corn because it's cheap, but the canine metabolism can't get much good out of it. Having said that, there are plenty of dogs that seem to do pretty well on it, but it just doesn't make much sense scientifically. Either those are superdogs who'd live even longer, healthier lives on better food, or the science isn't quite right. Hard to be sure.

We tried a couple of foods; Blue Buffalo, Merrick, maybe one other I'm forgetting, before finding the 4 Health brand at Tractor Supply. The ingredients are great, it smells good, and the cost is more reasonable than any other brand with comparable quality. I'm ambivalent about grain free. When the first three ingredients are meat based, the ones further down the line don't matter as much.

I think the FDA wanted to show they were doing something - after all, this is why the constitution created an FDA - so they did a quick study and published it. Probably too quick to really teach us anything. And while they did include proper "this is preliminary, don't jump to conclusions" language, the press is the press. So the press makes a big deal about it.

We're not changing anything.
    nevadabob, CWB and TrucksNCoffee like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    738 times
    You guys are great! I appreciate all the comments!
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. - C. Mallouhi (author)

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    36346 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Keith View Post
    Our dogs died years ago, one small at 16 years in 2006 and one large breed at 10 years in 2013 so this is dated anecdotal info. They ate Ol' Roy by the big bags full their whole lives. They ate it and were active dogs. Dog food hasn't changed much since then I bet. I just don't worry about this stuff too much.
    I carry a coffee container full of Ol' Roy on my golf cart to feed the fish in the lake at the club. Large chunks, and even the resident turtle swims over for a few. I go through about three cans a week.

From looking at the list of brand names, I've got a feeling that the study was funded by Purina.
    nevadabob and Kevin Keith like this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    710 times
    I haven't eaten dog food since I was 8 so no.
    nevadabob likes this.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Member #
    Liked
    738 times
    jspdrcrmach5....was that part of the public school lunch program?
    The Christian Faith: We are not called to solve the Mystery, but to enter into it. - C. Mallouhi (author)

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18787 times
    Well, we lost a chihuahua to DCM in 2015. Actually, mitral valve insufficiency - you could hear the “honk” with every heartbeat which was the blood flowing backwards from the left ventricle back into the left atrium. Chihuahua isn’t listed as a particular breed susceptible and the brand of DF we use isn’t in the “dangerous list”. He didn’t die of dog food - he died due to too many table scraps! He was 8lbs overweight to where his belly scraped the ground when he walked. The high doses of lasix, while helping the heart failure, had him peeing all over the house. He developed seizures and fortunately died a few months after diagnosis and he was 14yo.

We’re on our second chihuahua now and he’s starting to get a tad on the heavy side.
    nevadabob likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    1251 times
    Purely anecdotal, but we have fed our woofers either Hills or Purina sincwe the year one. BUT, they always got distilled water as a regular drink, very seldom did they ever get anything with chlorine or flourine in it. OK, once Ozzie did drink an ounce of my lemonade, but in his defence, it was hot outside.

Yorkshire Terriers, all. Max lived to over seventeen by two months, Jack just a month shy of seventeen, and I had to part with Ozzie this spring at nearly seventeen. Only Jack was a show-dog, his parentage for several generations were Best in Show and Champions, all. He is the one with the kidney issue that made distilled water an issue. Currently, the household has two "rescues" owning us. Jackie", a 6-pound, twelve-year-old Yorkie and "Sandie", a ten-year-old Silky terrier, 12-13 lbs.

How did I ever live without dogs? Who knows? I can remember only when I was in the Air Force that I had no dogs.I've had dogs for more years than I have had Mrs Flash - Is that a compliment to them or a comment on her?
    nevadabob likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    21413 times
    Depending on the type of breed of your dog, the diet requirements change drastically. Dogs are opportunistic omnivores. this means they they primarily eat meat, but if meat is not available, they will eat other things. The best diet you can feed a dog is called the barf diet. Barf stands for "Bones And Raw Feed". that is supplemented with veggies they'll eat as kibble. you also cannot just change what you feed them overnight. each diet change has to be gradual.
    nevadabob and rollin thunder like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links