Homemade Ice Cream - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Homemade Ice Cream

Member #
    Liked
    7937 times
    Yep, it's time to dig out the mixer. Like many before me, I too, grew up sitting on top of a hand crank mixer - great times. A couple of years ago I bought a hand cranker, to the tune of $100.00, and hoped to relive the good ol days - not. The gear boxes are cheap Chinese made casting gears, unfinished, and begin shedding flakes and casting pieces as soon as you begin cranking. So, surly don't consider White Mountain - they won't stand behind their name. Go electric, and pretend the ice cream was cranked. Gonna try some pineapple this time.
    Kevin Keith likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16215 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPT24/7 View Post
    I love homemade and BLUEBELL is ok but not for me . Besides yesterday on the news they showed a video of a black girl tool a gallon of Bluebell out at a grocery store , took the lid off , gave it a big sloppy lick and put the lid back on and stuck it back in the freezer . This was a video on FB going viral they said . Hope they catch her but it worries me how many more will do that ??
    Blue Bell announced that they found the gallon that was licked and they know the name of the perp. Charges pending. By the way, the incident happened in a WalMart. They have store video of the offending couple.
    Smokewagon and Kevin Keith like this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30643 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CJS3 View Post
    I used to make it a lot more often than now, and no, I'm not about to go back to hand cranking makers. It's electric only. Unfortunately food allergies have popped up in my grandkids so I have to be a lot more careful what I put into the mix now.

All my kids are coming over today and they insisted on doing all the cooking so I'll pass on the homemade ice cream and defer to their judgement, although one of my kids does have an ice cream maker.
    The great news is, plain ol' vanilla tastes great still.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    47386 times
    If everyone made their own homemade ice cream, they wouldn't get fat. I think the calories expended and calories gained are even.
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    29250 times
    Homemade peach cobbler, (with peaches from the back yard) topped with homemade vanilla ice cream.

Next best thing to heaven.

Lord, it's been over forty years since we cranked out a gallon. In my younger days I never understood how rock salt poured over the ice helped the ice cream freeze faster...
    Smokewagon, Kevin Keith and CJS3 like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassrh View Post
    Gonna try some pineapple this time.
    There are no bad flavors when it comes to homemade ice cream. Personally, vanilla is my favorite, but I like 'em all!
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    I have two words for the good folks at that Little Creamery in Brenham...shrink wrap!
    Smokewagon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7937 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    There are no bad flavors when it comes to homemade ice cream. Personally, vanilla is my favorite, but I like 'em all!
    I believe that the "old home made" was better than todays version. I verified it last year - use REAL vanilla extract ($$$ but worth it) - not the make believe stuff, and farm fresh eggs. I realize a lot of people won't agree, but it does make a huge difference in taste.

Member #
    Liked
    19126 times
    It has been decades since having homemade ice cream at family gatherings. No family to gather any more.
    TheOldRedneck likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10340 times
    When I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type II 12 years ago, one of the things I thought I would have to give up was Homemade Ice Cream. Then one summer, I sat down and worked through how to make ice cream without sugar. Hint: there was a lot of science to it. Anyway, here are two of my recipes one old style and one custard.

Dad's Best Vanilla Ice Cream (No sugar)
    6 Eggs
    1 quart of Heavy Cream
    1 quart of Half & Half
    2 cans (24 Fl Oz or 1.5 pints) of Evaporated Milk
    1 cup (8 Tbs) of Sweetener (I use Stevia)
    2 Tbs Vanilla Extract
    6 shots of Bourbon
    Just enough whole milk to rinse the mix from bowl
    Makes 1 gallon

NOTE: The alcohol replaces sugar's role in lowering the freezing point and you can adjust the hardness or softness of the ice cream by decreasing or increasing the alcohol to adjust the ice cream to a hardness level you like.

Dad's Best Pistachio Ice Cream (No Sugar Custard Style)
    6 Eggs
    1 package of Sugar-Free Instant Pistachio Pudding (Any flavor will work)
    4 Tbs (¼ Cup) of Sweetener (Stevia)
    4 cans (12 oz. Cans) of Evaporated Milk (48 Fl Oz or 3 pints)
    1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    ½ Pint of Whole Milk (if you want creamier ice cream switch the whole milk for heavy cream or evaporated milk)
    2 shots of Bourbon (without any Bourbon this ice cream is on the hard side, so I add the whiskey to soften it a little.)
    Makes a ½ Gallon
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links