Cell Dilemma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Cell Dilemma

Member #
    Liked
    1404 times

Cell Dilemma

I need a new flip phone. One that works as an actual phone, when I need it. The Tracfone I currently have, will become a paperweight at the end of the year. Tracfone wants me to upgrade to a smartphone.

This little Samsung flip is well worn and needs a daily charge. I rarely use the thing, but I'm old, sickly and frail now, so its my constant watch pocket companion. $30 for 400 minutes every month or two feeds my need. I deplore texting. I don't want it for personal entertainment or innerweb browsing. I just want it for phone communication and not cost me an arm & leg.

My wife's brother wants her to buy a new iPhone to replace the Verizon flip phone that she rarely ever uses. Living in the armpit of Illinois' cell coverage, we've never gotten more than two bars signal strength while standing in our driveway. I think they're both nuts. We've spoken with several outlets locally. The salespeople just want into our wallets. They can't promise me decent coverage, but they sure will sell us their store.

Sprint, AT&T, Verizon... They all show solid coverage on the map for our area, but I call B.S. on their boasts.

Online searches have just confused me all the more. Reviews are all over the place.

What to do? I know. I need more coffee.
    777Driver and nevadabob like this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    4267 times
    I use a Motorola Flip phone that cost me $35.00 through Consumers Cellular. It has worked everywhere that I have been. My FIL uses Sprint, and I have coverage in areas he doesn't, but everywhere he does. Upper Michigan, the Dakotas etc. Consumer Cellular has a 30 day free trial period and no contracts. Cost for my wife and I is $55.00 a month for unlimited talk & text and 5gig data.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    You might consider the Alcatel Go Flip. It's a flip phone with many of the features of a smartphone but you don't have to use any of those features. As a phone it's simple and dependable and lots of carriers offer it. A woman who helps care for my mother-in-law, and is herself 80 years old, uses one strictly for making and receiving a handful of phone calls per month.

I hope that helps.

Gerry E.
    Lomax likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    32188 times
    Grocery stores around here have cell phone displays for no contract phones. Several different service providers. You can try out a system (phone plus coverage) for like $50. Don't like it? Repeat monthly until you find one you do.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    5132 times
    I have a Flip phone.
    It is a GUSTO 3 from verizon made by Samsung.
    It costs me $30 plus $4 in taxes each month,
    I buy a phone card each month a Walmart or the local Verizon store.
    I have unlimited talk and text.
    They also have a $15 a month plan.
    I have excellent coverage ever in the local backcountry (Olympic national forest).

My phone only cost me $25..
    Lomax, jwc007 and rollin thunder like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46624 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    I need a new flip phone. One that works as an actual phone, when I need it. The Tracfone I currently have, will become a paperweight at the end of the year. Tracfone wants me to upgrade to a smartphone.

This little Samsung flip is well worn and needs a daily charge. I rarely use the thing, but I'm old, sickly and frail now, so its my constant watch pocket companion. $30 for 400 minutes every month or two feeds my need. I deplore texting. I don't want it for personal entertainment or innerweb browsing. I just want it for phone communication and not cost me an arm & leg.

My wife's brother wants her to buy a new iPhone to replace the Verizon flip phone that she rarely ever uses. Living in the armpit of Illinois' cell coverage, we've never gotten more than two bars signal strength while standing in our driveway. I think they're both nuts. We've spoken with several outlets locally. The salespeople just want into our wallets. They can't promise me decent coverage, but they sure will sell us their store.

Sprint, AT&T, Verizon... They all show solid coverage on the map for our area, but I call B.S. on their boasts.

Online searches have just confused me all the more. Reviews are all over the place.

What to do? I know. I need more coffee.
    What is Trac Phone saying about the pone that you need to scrap it?

Most of the stores around here, grocery, pharmacy, Kmarts, Walmarts all have pay per use phones on a counter display. Just pick on and go with it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    22561 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    What is Trac Phone saying about the pone that you need to scrap it?

Most of the stores around here, grocery, pharmacy, Kmarts, Walmarts all have pay per use phones on a counter display. Just pick on and go with it.
    If you go to the Tracfone site they don't seem to offer them anymore. I think it's a Tracfone-specific thing.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2796 times
    I have used T-Mobile since before they were called than, and before the previous name, etc.

I think they still have simple flip phones and I believe all of their phones support WiFi calling. That means you can tell your phone to make a call using WiFi instead of the carrier network. It still goes against your minutes and it still works like a regular call, it just uses WiFi instead. For those of you who live in a questionable coverage area, it is a great benefit. My phone automatically switches between WiFi and the TMobile network, so I don't have to do a thing. Some days when I'm in my basement and my network signal drops, it automatically switches to WiFi and I can make/receive calls and never know the difference.

It is at least worth investigating with any new company you consider.

Member #
    Liked
    11144 times
    If you have internet, you can get a Micro-Cell that plugs into your router and provides local coverage. AT&T sent me one free when I complained that the coverage had gone down to where it dropped calls all the time. They should be on eBay and Amazon and they will work with any cell phone.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    934 times
    I use net10 every 60 days I buy a 300 minute card for $30, works out to $15 a month I don't talk on the phone a lot so the minutes roll over.
    They used to sell their own branded phones but now You bring Your own phone, customer service will mail You a net10 SIM card that will activate Your phone to use their service.
    Lomax and jwc007 like this.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links