Cell Dilemma - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Cell Dilemma

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18780 times
    Years ago, before Verizon was Verizon, we had 4 cellphones and a flat rate for voice and text. Then they “downsold” us - same 4 phones but with a rate that at that time was cheaper than the flat rate.

And then, you are correct that this didn’t go where we wanted it to go, they started choking down on the access and speed. Every year, we pay more for our “base” text & voice allowance with additional prices/GB of data. We end up raising our base till we’re paying WAY more than the original unlimited plan.

We have now dropped the kids’ cells as they’re off the payroll and outta the house and paying much less for cell Svcs.

Lesson? If you’re lucky enough to get locked into an “unlimited access” plan for anything, you really need to think if you’re offered a cheaper plan but with the potential to become expensive in the future. When we asked Verizon to restore our original fixed rate/unlimited plan they were still rolling with laughter as they hung up on us.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 07-06-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    texastaurusguy and Lomax like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    1111 times
    The new flip cell seems to work acceptably, but with the new number came my first two received calls. They were people looking for a guy named Jake. Seems as though Jake is behind in a few of his financial responsibilities.

Then later a car salesperson from Macomb called to confirm delivery of a new pickup... I told the gal he's probably going to need the new set of wheels so he could put distance between himself and Commercial Credit Corp.

Both gals said they'd remove my number from their lists.
    Last edited by Lomax; 07-07-2019 at 05:57 AM.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    "Anything that can happen with a gun probably will happen, sooner or later." _John M. Browning

Member #
    Liked
    21865 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    The new flip cell seems to work acceptably, but with the new number came my first two received calls. They were people looking for a guy named Jake. Seems as though Jake is behind in a few of his financial responsibilities.

Then later a car salesperson from Macomb called to confirm delivery of a new pickup... I told the gal he's probably going to need the new set of wheels so he could put distance between himself and Commercial Credit Corp.

Both gals said they'd remove my number from their lists.
    This is a problem these days. They reuse numbers every 90 days or so, sometimes faster in high demand areas. The prepaid services are the favorites of deadbeats since they can just get a new phone number with a few clicks online. I had the same problem. Took a couple of years for them to completely stop.
    Lomax likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30602 times
    Just for phone use, voice, Tracfone is the most affordable. I didn't know they were dumping their flip phones, but I have a smart phone anyway, and I do google a lot. Old as I am, my memory fades and I often use google as part of my lost memory. It's like a little cyber brain for me! Weren't for me wanting data occasionally, if I just bought voice, I'd pay between 7 and 8 bucks a month for service. I bought this tracfone service for my late wife 14 years ago. She passed away. I had AT&T at the time because I was running my shop and used that line for business/customers. Finally hung up my tools and didn't need the 50 bucks a month AT&T. I'd kept the Tracfone up to date because it was cheap to do and I just didn't wanna let it go. Was an emotional thing, I guess, remembering my late wife.

So, I got re-married in the interim and moved, no longer beholding to customers. I don't use a phone all that much, do text some, and the net service, though I don't use it much, has come in handy. I have wifi in the house and don't use the data when I'm in the house. Having the thing is nice, too, if the wife is bogarting the computer as she does. Anyway, I hate to see Tracfone do away with the flip phone option, but I guess it's the way of things now days. One of the things I like about Tracfone is that when your phone is damaged or the battery gives out, you can just buy another phone off the rack at Walmart and set it up on the net, easy and cheap! Yeah, I never had an Iphone and don't really regret it.

My wife had a cheezy little "smart phone" that she never used the data on. She wanted a plain flip phone and ended up going with "cricket". Costs more than my tracfone, but she likes it and it's cheaper than the AT&T contract that she had.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    30602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldcomputerguy View Post
    I have also used T-Mobile since they were called Voice Stream. I know a lot of people hate texting, but I encourage you to practice it and learn to like it. It does save time and money.

I would suggest you talk to people in your area and buy the phone that works for your area, and if you travel, take that into account. I buy my phones "unlocked" off of Ebay. I buy Used Like New, or New Old Stock phones. It takes a little research but if you have the patience it will save you some money as well.
    If you just want to walk into a store and buy a phone, go to Wally World, talk to the young people working the phone section about what you want and let them assist you.
    There are way too many options on phones for me these days. Lol. Good luck.
    Yes, I've had to learn to text, though I hunt and peck rather than do the thumb thing. I can use voice recognition to do it faster, which might seem stupid considering I can TALK by phone, but my daughter has forgotten how to talk on a danged phone and she's the only one I regularly communicate with.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    3257 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Just for phone use, voice, Tracfone is the most affordable. I didn't know they were dumping their flip phones, but I have a smart phone anyway, and I do google a lot. Old as I am, my memory fades and I often use google as part of my lost memory. It's like a little cyber brain for me! Weren't for me wanting data occasionally, if I just bought voice, I'd pay between 7 and 8 bucks a month for service. I bought this tracfone service for my late wife 14 years ago. She passed away. I had AT&T at the time because I was running my shop and used that line for business/customers. Finally hung up my tools and didn't need the 50 bucks a month AT&T. I'd kept the Tracfone up to date because it was cheap to do and I just didn't wanna let it go. Was an emotional thing, I guess, remembering my late wife.

So, I got re-married in the interim and moved, no longer beholding to customers. I don't use a phone all that much, do text some, and the net service, though I don't use it much, has come in handy. I have wifi in the house and don't use the data when I'm in the house. Having the thing is nice, too, if the wife is bogarting the computer as she does. Anyway, I hate to see Tracfone do away with the flip phone option, but I guess it's the way of things now days. One of the things I like about Tracfone is that when your phone is damaged or the battery gives out, you can just buy another phone off the rack at Walmart and set it up on the net, easy and cheap! Yeah, I never had an Iphone and don't really regret it.

My wife had a cheezy little "smart phone" that she never used the data on. She wanted a plain flip phone and ended up going with "cricket". Costs more than my tracfone, but she likes it and it's cheaper than the AT&T contract that she had.
    Tracfone didn't do away with the flip phone option, it's just that certain older phones, flip phone or not, won't work at the end of the year due to network changes, all phones must be 4g capable. Currently the only flip phone tracfone offers that is 4g capable is the Acatel flip phone, and it has mixed reviews. The biggest complaints about it were

a: Some people reported low battery life, while others did not have that problem. (could be a bad phone or certain settings draining the battery)

B: it doesn't display the remaining minutes like the older phones did. In order to check your remaining time, you need to call or text a phone number.

Allegedly if you have your own flip phone and it's 4g capable , and if that phone is on a network Tracfone uses,(like verizon for example) tracfone will accept it for use also, it's just that the Acatel is the only one I've seen tracfone currently selling from their site.
    Last edited by pegasus; 07-07-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    30602 times
    Well, I hope I don't have to update my Acatel One Touch. I got it a couple of years ago and I've finally gotten acclimated to it. Heck, took me six months to figure out how to answer a phone call all the thing. I hate having to learn new operating systems. Seems like my whole life has been learning new operating systems. My WIFE is even more adamant about that. She taught Computer Science as a university professor and SHE hates learning new operating systems! So, I know it ain't just because I'm old and dumb.
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links