Anyone running Win 10?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Anyone running Win 10?

Member #
    Liked
    4912 times

Anyone running Win 10?

I'm still running Win7SP1 and have finally bit the bullet (heh-heh, topical forum humor) and decided that I must upgrade (upgrade??) to Win 10. As much as I like Win7 I know that going to Win10 is inevitable and since End of Support for Win 7 is January next year I figure I should start running it sooner rather than later. I have already checked my machine and I can support 10 hardware-wise no problem and my driver set is Win10 compatible. I have downloaded the Media Creation Tool so I think I am ready to proceed.

Anyone who has done a download upgrade have any tips, etc?
    Any advice in pitfalls to avoid in Win 10?
    My wife has a multi-user Office 365 license that I will be piggybacking on. I understand that all my .docs, .xls, and .ppt files are forward compatible with 10.

Any info that anyone can provide would be appreciated!
    Duane
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    31106 times
    It sucks. I has exactly zero advantages over 7. It's less intuitive, you can't just buy most important software - it's subscription now, for Office and Photoshop. It accumulates registry errors just as fast or faster. Pitfalls? Using Windows 10. Tips? I'll let you know when/if I try Unix.

Microsoft's new slogan: you'll buy whatever we tell you to, and like it.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    1812 times
    I've road tested Win10 on two different machines since it came out and didn't keep it either time. All of my former Vista & Win7 computers are now running Linux Mint.
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.
    ~ Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19288 times
    About a year ago I bought a Dell laptop with Win10 installed. I would be happy to stick with Win7. The Office group isn't much better. The Outlook program just stops loading sometimes. Probably not using the right word with "loading" but sometimes when I go to the bottom of the screen and click on the icon the little wheel spins for a few seconds and then nothing happens! I finally figured out to open Task manager, Outlook does show there, and stop the program from there and then start it over again. It's a pain but way better than doing re-booting the computer. I wish I had the nerve to try one of the Linux products.

Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    21571 times
    When they first started the push to move everyone from Windows 7 to windows 10 I made the transition. At the time they allowed you to keep a modified version of the desktop/GUI. That's what I currently run. It's almost a hybrid of windows 7 and windows 10. Windows 10 is the improved version of windows 8 or 8.1 where they fixed a lot of the major issues but introduced new ones. Windows 10 was written for the tablet market, not the desktop except as a secondary consideration. Because of this, it'll add all sorts of crap you really don't need and will remove things you actually used. One of the biggest was the transition from Internet explorer to Microsoft Edge. Edge is nowhere near as good at downloading other browsers as IE but IE is still there, you just have to hunt for it. Make the transition and learn the quirks and you should be able to do what you need to with it.
    YOT and TrucksNCoffee like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    22026 times
    I was Windows 7, went to Linux Mint for a while....back to Windows. I should try Mint again, it's been a while. I tend to use Chrome so I might as well just get a Chromebook. The wife uses one. If this Dell ever dies. Anyway, as with all software it's just getting used to the changes. I don't recall anything being a big issue.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    9391 times
    I have three Win 10 Pro and one Home. Took some getting used to. Three were upgrades from Win 7, one Win 8.1. Also have one Win 7 and two XP. Tried Ubuntu for awhile and finally decided not worth the effort. Win 10 has many bennies and I've found it to be quite stable. Can't beat the price since all Win 10 upgrades have been free. In process now of upgrading to version 1903 on each Win 10 when offered - one down three to go.
    jwc007 likes this.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

YOT
    Member #
    Liked
    3487 times
    It took two installs to get it done right, with a reformat in between. It's been long enough now that I don't remember 7, so I'd say I'm used to it well enough. All versions seen to have their glitches built it.
    "It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger and I won't." - The Shootist (John Wayne)

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30959 times
    Microsoft needs some good competition. I'm not talking about Linux or Ubuntu....they still don't have the interface down to the point where an idiot can plug in an obscure piece of hardware and take off running. I'm not talking about Apple, who wants to spend $2000 on a computer to stick it to Bill Gates? I'm talking about a company that made a true graphical user interface that was in direct competition for the Intel/AMD clone market. A company that could give Microsoft a run for it's money. I've been waiting years for that and it's never happened.

I'm using Win10 on my laptop and it's fine. Nothing spectacular, it's pretty stable, mostly, and it does what I want it to do.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    16324 times
    I'm running Win 7 on my desktop but wife & I both got laptops with 10 already installed a couple of years ago. Didn't care at all for the Win 10 interface so I installed Classic Shell on both. Makes 10 look and work like 7. I suppose some day Micro$oft will do something to 10 that will break Classic Shell, but until then we're both happy. I'm gonna run Win 7 on the desktop until it, or me, dies. I'm sure all the AV companies will keep updating their Win 7 products for a long time after Micro$oft has quit.
    Last edited by whichfinger; 06-21-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links