Anyone running Win 10? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Anyone running Win 10?

Member #
    Liked
    11220 times
    Late last year (2018 ) MS made some significant changes to WIN10 that I am really disturbed by. Have any of you noticed that you no longer log into your desktop, but into MS? All updates are automatic, whether you like them, or not, and that update will start tying up all of your resources forcing the PC to run slower and slower until you either reboot, or the PC crashes and it does an auto reboot. Either way MS makes sure you install their update. I have 3 different browsers installed, and it seems that one of them is always having issues. Up until a couple of months ago it was Firefox, now it is Chrome, and before that Edge. I have noticed that in each case those browsers have MS issues reporting apps consuming large amounts of resources, well until I kill them in TM. Firefox is getting updates every week, or so, I expect Chrome will too, but who knows with Edge as the updates come with the WIN10 updates and there is never any mention of what changes they have made.

If you want to have Linux printing, do not buy a Cannon printer. HP is the only company that I know about that always makes a Linux driver with their printers. The other brands seem to be hit or miss.

I have a single laptop now and it runs WIN10. However, whenever I build my own PCs, and I have literally built hundreds, including my own water cooled design, plus worked with the Army on a spray cooled PC, and a number of other types of computers. I have to laugh when I see anyone talking about stability and Windows. I worked with the Army program office on the digital Bradley (which used a version of MS Windows) and the first time I saw them running through tests I had to laugh as they would go through a reboot because the system crashed. 3.5 minutes to reboot in the middle of a fire fight is fatal, IMO. They made the decision to use Windows before I arrived, but my first question was why? With Linux they could have controlled the software and concentrated on system reliability and security, neither of which they had with Windows. We called MS to talk about stability, and MS told us that stability was not even in their Top 5 design goals.

I ran Linux for many years. I like PCLinuxOS. It is very WinXP like in operation, has a huge supportive community, a well organized forum board, a monthly newspaper that talks about issues and programs and how to use them, and it works out of the box. Now I haven't kept up with it since TexStar passed away, but it was a very good distro. I liked best that it worked out of the box. Install it and it would auto detect your hardware and install the correct drivers. If you did have an issue, post the issue and someone would answer you shortly, much like here. I never ran into an issue that did not get fixed. All of the programs in their repositories are tested and free to use.
    brojohn, Yissnakk, jwc007 and 1 others like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    321 times
    I just de-installed build 1903. Lots of stupid problems with it!

Member #
    Liked
    606 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Have any of you noticed that you no longer log into your desktop, but into MS?
    You really don't HAVE to use a Microsoft account to run Windows 10. They push it hard, and some features only work with one, but you don't absolutely need it. I don't use one. I use a local account only.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    And as if on cue...my computer just dropped the wi-fi connection while reading this thread. This is the second time it has done that now. Is it a Win10 problem? I don't know. My phone was still connected so I'm thinking it's not the router equipment. The only solution I have figured out so far is to do a restart. If anyone has suggestions I'm listening. Of course not to muddy up this thread just PM if you have ideas that might help.
    Had that problem recently. Turned out the router was dying. New router and everything works fine.
    darbo and dennisturner like this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    9414 times
    My home office work tower computer still runs XP cause I did not want to spend monies on newer software to replace my customer DB (ACT!) as it would not "work" in Win 10. Same I was told for my old 2005 QuickBooks accounting software. Seems I was told wrong. I upgraded my WIN 7 Pro work lap top to free WIN 10 1903 build yesterday and both programs still function. Will run lappy for a few to see if stable. If so, will probably build a new office computer using WIN 10.

My entertainment center compact tower upgraded from WIN 10 to build 1903 this past weekend, so still have two awaiting 1903 build install offer.

Getting QuickBooks to load on the WIN 7 was a task (back when it was done). Wouldn't install thru auto install - had to install thru .exe as auto load kept wanting an old version of Flash or Java (can't remember which).
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    9414 times
    All five WIN 10 updated to build 1903 - so far, all well.
    jwc007 likes this.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wino View Post
    My home office work tower computer still runs XP cause I did not want to spend monies on newer software to replace my customer DB (ACT!) as it would not "work" in Win 10. Same I was told for my old 2005 QuickBooks accounting software. Seems I was told wrong. I upgraded my WIN 7 Pro work lap top to free WIN 10 1903 build yesterday and both programs still function. Will run lappy for a few to see if stable. If so, will probably build a new office computer using WIN 10.

My entertainment center compact tower upgraded from WIN 10 to build 1903 this past weekend, so still have two awaiting 1903 build install offer.

Getting QuickBooks to load on the WIN 7 was a task (back when it was done). Wouldn't install thru auto install - had to install thru .exe as auto load kept wanting an old version of Flash or Java (can't remember which).
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 -How did you do that,i failed 2 weeks ago.I don't even dare to try the so-called free methods,they are traps.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22235 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardDevaughn View Post
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 -How did you do that,i failed 2 weeks ago.I don't even dare to try the so-called free methods,they are traps.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22235 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russinator View Post
    I just de-installed build 1903. Lots of stupid problems with it!
    I've installed build 1909 now on at least eight PC's of different brands with no issues at all.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8361 times
    There used to be a way to make Win 10 look like Win 7 does anyone remember how to do that?
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Sponsored Links