Looking for fair market value on a pickup - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking for fair market value on a pickup

Member #
    Liked
    5740 times
    Well I may be able to give you a little bit of a personal Insight on this. I just sold a 2005 Silverado 3500 heavy dually. It had the Duramax / Allison, full leather, console, all the goodies that they put in the top trucks. The transmission went bad on the truck at 271 thousand miles. I shopped around for a new transmission... Where I live a brand new transmission would be about $11,000. A guaranteed used transmission would be $8,500. A junkyard transmission with no warranty was $5,200.

I put it out by the fence in the front pasture with a sign for sale in the windshield. It wasn't 3 hours later a guy came up to the house want to know what I wanted for the truck. I had no idea what it was worth so I told him $5,000. He said he was going home to get a trailer and some money and he'd be back within the hour. Sure enough he showed up, gave me $5,000, loaded and on his trailer, and left. I saw him in the cafe while I was eating breakfast one morning couple of weeks later and ask him what he did with the truck he said he was going to part it out but he got an offer from an Auto Truck scrap yard in Tampa and sold the whole truck in one piece for 9700 dollars.

Now if a truck with a bad transmission and over a quarter million miles on the speedometer is worth $10,000 in parts and that should give you an idea what yours is worth. I don't know about where you live but around here the Duramax is King. They are hard to find used and when one does show up on a lot the price is incredibly High for a used truck. The local Chevy dealer as one right now. It is a 2015 with a hundred and forty four thousand miles on it any still want $51,500 for it.

Don
    Last edited by BangBang; 06-18-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    jwc007 likes this.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8216 times
    My wife inherited her dad's baby a 2003 Ford F-150 with 56,000 original miles. He was a mechanic and restored and showed trucks.

This one was in like new shop kept truck. I keep it in mint condition.

Blue book on it was like $7500 and trade in was less. I could not even buy a truck used like it for under 20,000.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    jwc007, darbo and TrucksNCoffee like this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    7389 times
    45Forever , I had a 03' F150 also with the 4.6L . It's recommended to change filter on the transmission around 50-60k miles and every 50k after that . When that gets done have the oil pump tube from the oil pan checked also to make sure no build up is in the pan and that the screen on the oil tube pickup is clean . I made the bad mistake of not having it checked and the motor ruined from oil dropping cause the screen was plugged up . Had to sell the truck cause to have the motor swopped was as high as what the whole truck was worth with a good motor .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8216 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPT24/7 View Post
    45Forever , I had a 03' F150 also with the 4.6L . It's recommended to change filter on the transmission around 50-60k miles and every 50k after that . When that gets done have the oil pump tube from the oil pan checked also to make sure no build up is in the pan and that the screen on the oil tube pickup is clean . I made the bad mistake of not having it checked and the motor ruined from oil dropping cause the screen was plugged up . Had to sell the truck cause to have the motor swopped was as high as what the whole truck was worth with a good motor .
    Thanks I've had it since July 2016 and only have 66,000 on it, it has the 5.4 engine in it. I only drive it when I can run it on the Highway for a bit at least once a week. City driving I use my 2002 Cavalier.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    RonPT24/7 likes this.
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    30884 times
    Tough estimation situation. The way to really find out is to auction it. You want nationwide for this type of situation. Put it on eBay, with no reserve if they've got the stones.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    836 times
    Could use a new truck, but am only dreaming. Truck prices are beyond ridiculous. Double of what a same year make and milage will cost in a car.
    darbo likes this.
    I can legally defend myself against bad guys, but there is no legal defense against bad guys with badges.
    I do not kill animals, nor do I pay other people to kill them for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links