What were you doing 50 years ago (1969)? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree238Likes

Thread: What were you doing 50 years ago (1969)?

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7236 times
    Watching the moon landing, Night Gallery when I was not supposed too, and being young.....................
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    3786 times
    Graduating 8th grd., chasing Angus and waiting for my 2nd wife to be born. Yes I am a little older than her.
    CaptainMorgan and brojohn like this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30979 times
    I was starting first grade.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Fifty? Why quit there? Well, anyway, fifty!

Mrs. Flash and I were wildly, madly in love, and she had just legally adopted my three kids from my previous marriage and was just about to get pregnant with “The Son!” (We had been married 2 years and eleven months). My ex-wife’s husband had just shot her – but somehow, she survived.

We had finally got the $3,500.00 down-payment for our little house in Rockville in one pile.

Mom had a heart-attack on the flight back from Tampa – I met her at Washington National Airport (Now Reagan Airport) and took her to the hospital. Pop flew up the next day but refused the heart attack when offered. He said that, “ . . . riding with (me) over to the hospital, if it did not give him a real heart attack, was every bit its equal in tension and excitement.”

I had already begun to build the list of my customers for starting my own Sign & Graphic business in 1971.

We had a marvelous and well-trained German Shepherd, “Taffy”, who kept a keen and watchful eye not only on the premises, but on the kiddies, too. We also owned a 1966 Chevvy station wagon with a 283 engine (It cost $5.50 to fill the tank then) and a little Viking pop-up trailer and a 10-foot jon-boat. We camped a lot near water, the Chesapeake Bay has a zillion places, and the campground in the City Park at Annapolis was high on our list because the crabs in the creek just climbed all over each other to wind up in our baskets. Deep Creek Lake, at the other end of the state was nice too, because the bass were prime, then.

I had herds of friends – some were shooters/reloaders, some were drag-racers and I did their cars up in 23k. gold-leaf lettering from end-to-end, (others were political folk, newspaper and TV people, cops, Secret Service, CIA, one Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, and the Captain of the US Olympic skeet Team, in addition to real people who worked for a living, just like I did) .

My application to join the Takoma Park Police dept had just been approved (though, how that worked out in the end was not what – or how – I expected).

I was 31, and had the world by the tail.

Funny, how some of that can change overnight, and some remains like it was carved in granite.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    503 times
    I was still a bun in the oven...I'm creeping up on 50 this year.

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    I was about three weeks into my first post-college job and my brand new '69 Pontiac Grand Prix, which was just like the one pictured. As you can guess from the photo of the Firebird I restored, I really liked that Grand Prix!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Canik/TriStar S120
    Browning Buck Mark Plus
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.
    Remington Speedmaster .22

Member #
    Liked
    2192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    I was starting first grade.
    Hey, I started first grade in the fall of '69, too! You must be a fine young specimen compared to all these old guys!
    brojohn likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3422 times
    I was in grade school that year, and in the summer (which would be about this time of year) my dad took my mom and I to Virginia with him. He met with some AF officers who were having dinner at a really expensive and fancy place and the highest ranking one (a general) was talking to the head of a company that was supplying the AF. They both thought the Vietnam war was great for business and seemed very happy about it.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32558 times
    I don't recall all that much about 1969, except the girls, Iron Butteryfly, and Boones Farm Apple Wine.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    2192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    I don't recall all that much about 1969, except the girls, Iron Butteryfly, and Boones Farm Apple Wine.
    I'm guessing the reason you don't recall much about 1969 was because of that "Boones Farm Apple Wine"!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links